Netvault backup and recovery
Mayura Deshmukh, Umesh Sunnapu
Centralized backup and restore
NetVault Backup is a light weight backup and recovery software solution that protects your data and applications in both physical and virtual environment. This blog describes the process for backing up Oracle database and tests restoring a deleted tablespace using Netvault Backup software. The readers of this blog should have knowledge of:
Note: For more information and detailed steps on 2&3, refer to the white paper Database Backup and Recovery using NetVault™ Backup and PowerVault MD3260.
NetVault backup software uses a plugin to connect to Oracle database and performs the backups and restores using the NetVault Backup (NVBU) console. At the backend NetVault runs the Oracle RMAN commands to perform backup and restore operations. Advantage of using the NetVault Backup instead of Oracle RMAN backup is:
Backup & Restore options
NetVault gives wide options to perform different types of backup and recovery that are suitable for different situations. In this blog, recovering a deleted tablespace scenario is considered and options for achieving the successful backup and restore using NetVault backup is shown in the following sections.
Note: To complete the pre-backup steps refer to the white paper Database Backup and Recovery using NetVault™ Backup and PowerVault MD3260
For the test case Recovery Catalog (that is, an external database) is used as the RMAN repository. Also the control file auto backup feature is enabled.
In the configuring Oracle Plugin steps enter the Recover Catalog details:
In the Add Database Screen ensure that the Catalog details are entered on the RMAN Details tab:
1) Open the NVBU Backup window from the NVBU Console.
2) On the Selections tab, open the NVBU Client on which the plug-in is installed.
3) Open Oracle APM. The databases added to the Plug-in for Oracle are displayed.
4) Open the database that you want to back up select the data that you want to back up. Select the whole instance to backup.
5) On the Backup Options Tab for backup Method, select the RMAN option to perform RMAN backups.
6) Default values were used for all the other tabs.
7) Click Submit on the toolbar, or select Accept > Submit Backup. You can monitor the job progress via the NVBU Jobs window and view the logs via the NVBU Logs window.
8) The Backup set of the Oracle database will be stored in the storage attached to the Netvault server. For details regarding configuring the storage for NetVault Backups refer to the white paper Database Backup and Recovery using NetVault™ Backup and PowerVault MD3260
Now that the Backup set of the whole database is stored in the event that a tablespace is deleted from the Oracle Server, it is possible to restore and recover the whole database using NVBU with the System Change Number (SCN) option.
If auto backup of control file is enabled, a new control file is created when the tablespace is deleted. Note: Starting with Oracle 11g Release 2, RMAN creates a single autobackup file encompassing all of the structural changes that have occurred within a few minutes of each other rather than creating a new backup of the control file on each structural change to the database.
Due to this reason we would be using a SCN to recover our deleted tablespace.
1) From the NVBU Console on the NVBU Server, open the NVBU Restore window.
2) On the Selections tab, open the NVBU Client on which the plug-in is installed. Open the applicable backup saveset. Check the whole database option. This option enables performing the DBPITR based on SCN, LSN, or time to reconstruct the database up to the required point.
3) Select the following options on the Restore Options tab:
4) On the Perform Recovery tab select the option Perform Database Point in Time Recovery and select by SCN based.
5) On the Recovery Catalog tab select the Use Catalog option and enter the Catalog Net Service Name, Catalog Owner and Catalog Password.
6) Select the client where the database is to be restored on the Target Clients tab
7) Default values are used for the fields on all the other tabs.
8) Click Submit on the toolbar, or select Accept > Submit Restore. You can monitor the job progress via the NVBU Jobs window and view the logs via the NVBU Logs window.
Quest NetVault Backup software, offers a wide range of features to easily manage and protect databases. Together with Dell hardware, provides a complete solution to help organizations maintain business continuity and facilitates a disaster recovery plan. Click on the link for more information on Dell Quest Software.