Z90D7: The system is running out of memory and needs to restart, playing HDX Flash - Wyse and Windows Embedded Standard (WES7, WE8S) - Wyse Thin Clients - Dell Community

Z90D7: The system is running out of memory and needs to restart, playing HDX Flash

Z90D7: The system is running out of memory and needs to restart, playing HDX Flash

• Z90D7: The system is running out of memory and needs to restart, playing HDX Flash

Hi,

We want to be able to playback 1080p Youtube video's. Now, whenever a user plays such a video the quality is great and the playback is fluent, however flash seems to cache a lot of MP4 files on the local flashdrive of the Z90D7. Playing a 1080p youtube video results in about 300 MB of storage for a couple of minutes of playback. After a while the Temporary Internet Files folder gets so huge (1 GB+) that the system is running out of memory and restarts.

Usually the temporary internet files are stored on the Ram drive, z:\. I already moved these to C:\ where I have 1 GB of free space but this still isn't enough, drive gets full within a couple of minutes.

Is there any way to limit the space being used by Flash? I already edited the options to make sure nothing gets stored locally but it still stores the Youtube MP4 files on the local drive, limiting the temporary internet files doesn't work either. The temp files are being cleared when you exit the browser but this is no option since I can't expect users to close and re-open their browser all day long.

I wonder how other people are doing this, any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

• Ok did some additional testing and it seems the write filter is getting full. I installed the latest Vanilla image, installed Flash Player on the client, logged on to XenApp and again the message appears:

The system is running low on memory, please close the following programs: HDX Mediastream Flash for Clients.

The write filter size is 128MB but when I don't play a video but just click through Windows Explorer windows on the client machine, or open up applications you can see the write filter is using more and more memory with every click.

Any fix for that besides disabling the write filter?

• The silence you hear is exactly the response I've gotten when asking the same.  I hope someone is able to provide an answer.  In my experience the write filter cache limitation makes these Wyse thin clients essentially unusable for normal applications.  A "thin" client with 4 GB of RAM and 16 GB of flash still can't get thru a day's work without users constantly being forced to reboot.

Is this a problem with the WES7 write filter design itself, or with the Wyse implementation of it?  Why on earth would I want every byte of transient data to consume space in the write filter cache?  That should be reserved only for system-level changes, that would otherwise effect the system if saved to the image on flash.  Why is there no way to examine the state of cache usage during a normal user session - without having to logoff and login as administrator?  Why is this issue never seen on an XPe IGEL thin client with <1GB RAM, from circa 2006?