Driver injection - anyone done this? - Wyse WSM - Wyse Software - Dell Community

Driver injection - anyone done this?

Driver injection - anyone done this?

  • Driver injection - anyone done this?

    In my quest to support different client hardware models, I attempted to use the VDiskImageCreation.exe tool to add drivers to an existing image. In this case, I wanted to add the NIC drivers from an Xx0c client to an image normally used for R00L clients.

    Using the VDiskImageCreation tool I selected the correct image to add the drivers to, and everything looked fine until I got en error message saying: "Failed to inject driver to virtual disk: Fail to detect HAL of source platform". This surprised me, as far as I can see the two clients should both be using the same HAL, and same OS version (Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit).

    Any tips and pointers are appreciated.

  • Just curious, how did you go about creating your initial image for the R00L? Did you open the case and connect a hard drive? I'm wanting to do something similar. I have created a working, streaming OS using a Dell Optiplex 760 as the reference device, but nothing except an Optiplex 760 will stream this OS. We intend to use R00L in our installation, so I'm just trying to get the steps involved for doing this.

    Contrary to previous posts, Ch6 of the Installation Guide does NOT outline the steps necessary for using an R00L diskless thin client.

    Thanks!

  • Quote Originally Posted by hdlnd View Post
    In my quest to support different client hardware models, I attempted to use the VDiskImageCreation.exe tool to add drivers to an existing image. In this case, I wanted to add the NIC drivers from an Xx0c client to an image normally used for R00L clients.

    Using the VDiskImageCreation tool I selected the correct image to add the drivers to, and everything looked fine until I got en error message saying: "Failed to inject driver to virtual disk: Fail to detect HAL of source platform". This surprised me, as far as I can see the two clients should both be using the same HAL, and same OS version (Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit).

    Any tips and pointers are appreciated.

    I haven't tried this with WSM 3.6, but I had the same experience with WSM 3.5. The documentation for that version also stated that driver injection wasn't compatible with Win7. This statement isn't in the 3.6 documentation, but as I said, I haven't tried it yet.

  • Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    Just curious, how did you go about creating your initial image for the R00L? Did you open the case and connect a hard drive? I'm wanting to do something similar. I have created a working, streaming OS using a Dell Optiplex 760 as the reference device, but nothing except an Optiplex 760 will stream this OS. We intend to use R00L in our installation, so I'm just trying to get the steps involved for doing this.

    Contrary to previous posts, Ch6 of the Installation Guide does NOT outline the steps necessary for using an R00L diskless thin client.

    Thanks!

    This is a different topic 
    However, the challenge is that the HDD connector in the R-motherboard (as well as V-class at least) is a 44-pin connector similar to 2.5" PATA HDD (ie laptops). This means you either need a shortish (2") 44-44 female-female cable and a laptop HDD, or a 44-40 female-female cable and external power for a 3,5" HDD.

    There is another solution, it works great but is unsupported by Microsoft. This involves using an external USB HDD, Win7 installation media, the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Win7 and a script. I have done this several times and it works great, as well as being faster than a "normal" installation of Win7.

    NT6.x fast installer

  • Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by StianS View Post
    This is a different topic 
    However, the challenge is that the HDD connector in the R-motherboard (as well as V-class at least) is a 44-pin connector similar to 2.5" PATA HDD (ie laptops). This means you either need a shortish (2") 44-44 female-female cable and a laptop HDD, or a 44-40 female-female cable and external power for a 3,5" HDD.

    There is another solution, it works great but is unsupported by Microsoft. This involves using an external USB HDD, Win7 installation media, the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Win7 and a script. I have done this several times and it works great, as well as being faster than a "normal" installation of Win7.

    NT6.x fast installer

    Amazing! Thanks for the tip of using fujianabc's NT6.x fast installer. I was amazingly pleased with that tool. In fact, I also created a PE3.0 Windows 7 PE bootable disc that I booted the R00L to first and then connected my USB hdd and ran the NT6.x fast installer from within that environment. After copy and prompt for reboot, I simply chose to boot from USB HDD and VIOLA! Windows7 running from USB HDD.

    One thing to note, I kept having a problem after a reboot, the usb hdd would not even be recognized by the R00L. I would have to fully power down and then it would see it. Since performing the following regedit, it hasn't done this.

    From elevated command prompt:

    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v DisablePagingExecutive /t REG_DWORD /d 1

    "This setting may help prevent USB drivers code from being paged out."

  • Here is what I did to make a R00L image. I made a bootable windows 7 installtion on a memory stick: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/ (Use builtin robocopy from cmd to copy files at the last step C:>robocopy D:\ (DVD) M:\ (Memstick) /E /COPYALL

    Open the chassis on the R00L (a bit tricky to get back tougheter) connect a sata cable to the sata connector on the motherboard, and then to a disk. What you will notice is that there is no power connector on the motherboard, not to worry, rip one out of an old computer and short a black cable the green cable and plug it in, now you have a portable power supply. 

    Boot from USB, install windows 7 to the disk. Install R00L drivers and the newest network driver (the one in the wyse driver pack is old, go to manufacturer site, use google). Look for a topic on this forum which relates to windows hanging on boot splash and download the hotfix mentioned there. 

    Set up your apps and what not and capture the image