WDM Image - Add thin client to the domain? - Wyse Device Manager - Wyse Software - Dell Community

WDM Image - Add thin client to the domain?

WDM Image - Add thin client to the domain?

• I'm sure this has been asked before but I've spent a great deal of time scouring the internet for an answer with no luck  :(

Our Wyse WES7 thin clients need to be domain-joined and I'd like to image these via WDM.  The image of a domain-joined thin client has been captured but whenever a new one is deployed, the trust relationship fails due to be not being correctly connected to the domain.  I need to run a .vbs or PowerShell script on the thin clients as part of the imaging process to join the thin client to the domain.

How do I accomplish this via Wyse Device Manager?  I've tried using a simple RSP package to call a .vbs script but I can't seem to get this to work remotely. 

• Did you ever figure this out, I need to do it too?

• It was a while ago ... unfortunate that no one was able to help me but I ended up finding a workable solution eventually.

Pre-preparation: Create an image package of the thin client (not domain joined) in Wyse Device Manager.

Here's what I had to do (from memory):

- Firstly find the device in Wyse Device manager and rename it (thin client will reboot and the new name will eventually show in Device Manager)

- Images --> Deploy the image you created (not domain joined)

- Other packages --> Create a package to run a script to join the thin client to the domain

[Version]

Number=JoinToDomain

Description=Joins to domain into Thin Clients OU

2. Add to Thin Clients OU

OS=WES7

Category=Other Packages

USE_REMOTE=Yes

; Date: 7/29/2015

[Script]

SF "<regroot>\JoinToDomain.vbs" "c:\scripts\JoinToDomain.vbs"

SF "<regroot>\JoinToDomain.bat" "c:\scripts\JoinToDomain.bat"

LU "Yes"

EX "C:\scripts\JoinToDomain.bat"

DF "C:\scripts\JoinToDomain.bat"

DF "C:\scripts\JoinToDomain.vbs"

EL

RB

That's it in a nutshell ... create an image package, and create a separate package to join to domain ... the package needs to call a .vbs to join to domain (I added an extra .bat to call a .ps1 to also put it into the appropriate wireless computers group to deploy our wireless cert to it)

Contents of the scripts are below:

.vbs

Const JOIN_DOMAIN = 1
    Const ACCT_CREATE = 2
    Const ACCT_DELETE = 4
    Const WIN9X_UPGRADE = 16
    Const DOMAIN_JOIN_IF_JOINED = 32
    Const JOIN_UNSECURE = 64
    Const MACHINE_PASSWORD_PASSED = 128
    Const DEFERRED_SPN_SET = 256
    Const INSTALL_INVOCATION = 262144

strDomain = "domainname"
    strPassword = "password"
    strUser = "user account"
    strOU = "OU=OU,OU=OU,OU=OU,DC=domain,DC=com"

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    strComputer = objNetwork.ComputerName

Set objComputer = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=Impersonate}!\\" & _
        strComputer & "\root\cimv2:Win32_ComputerSystem.Name='" & _
            strComputer & "'")

ReturnValue = objComputer.JoinDomainOrWorkGroup(strDomain, _
        strPassword, strDomain & "\" & strUser, strOU, _
            JOIN_DOMAIN + ACCT_CREATE)

Hope this helps get you started!   I remember this wasn't fun at all ... it could've been so much easier with a bit of assistance from Dell ... the Wyse Device Manager is good but it's quite difficult to use and configure ... I found the HP Device Manager to be a lot more intuitive.