Installing additional HDD/SSDs in the Dell Precision Tower 5810 | 7810 | 7910 - Enterprise Client - Wiki - Client and Mobile Solutions - Dell Community

Installing additional HDD/SSDs in the Dell Precision Tower 5810 | 7810 | 7910

Unfiltered HTML

Installing additional HDD/SSDs in the Dell Precision Tower 5810 | 7810 | 7910

Enterprise Client - Wiki

Related Systems

Dell Precision Tower 7910

Dell Precision Tower 7810

Dell Precision Tower 5810

Summary

This post provides information around the SKU’s necessary when upgrading or adding HDD/SSDs (SATA or SAS) to the latest generation of Precision Workstations.  With the complexity supported on these systems,  it can be difficult to understand which SKU’s are needed under each circumstance. 

Tower 5810 | Tower 7810

The Tower 5810 |7810 allow support for up to four 2.5” HDD/SSDs (SATA/SAS), or three 3.5” HDD’s (SATA) depending on the PSU ordered.  The systems contain two bays for HDD/SSD’s.  By default the system supports two 3.5” HDD’s in the lower bay.  These carriers can also be modified to support a 2.5” HDD/SSD.  The 5.25” bay offers a flex option to house additional HDD/SSDs.  The exact configuration shipped is dependent upon your order.  If you need additional HDD/SSD support, or would like to convert one of the 3.5” carriers into a 2.5” carrier, see the following SKU options –

575-BBEM – Allows user to convert a standard 3.5” HDD carrier into a 2.5” HDD carrier.  It contains an insert and screws necessary to hold a 2.5” HDD/SSD.  The carrier can support many different sizes of 2.5” drives, ranging from 7 mm SSD’s to 13 mm SAS HDD’s.

575-BBEH – Allows user to install two 2.5” HDD/SSDs into the 5.25” bay when using the embedded storage controller only.  This module fits into the place where a standard Half Height optical drive (CD or DVD) would fit in the system.  This module contains –

A metal frame insert for the 5.25” bay

Two 2.5” HDD Carriers which support 2.5” HDD/SSD drives ranging from 7 mm SSD’s to 13 mm SAS HDD’s

Data and power cables needed in order to connect to the embedded storage controller

A Fan module for additional cooling

All screws needed for the assembly

575-BBEJ – Allows user to install two 2.5” HDD/SSDs’s into the 5.25” bay when using an add-in storage adapter.  This module is the same as 575-BBEH, however it contains the necessary cables to connect to either the MegaRAID 9341-8i or the MegaRAID 9361-8i.

575-BBCU – Allows user to install one 3.5” HDD into the 5.25” bay when using the embedded storage controller only.  The module contains –

A metal frame insert for the 5.25” bay

One 3.5” HDD Carrier

Data and power cables needed to connect the drive in the system

A Fan module required for additional cooling

575-BBEG – Allows user to install one 3.5” HDD into the 5.25” bay when using an add-in storage adapter.  This module is the same as 575-BBCU, however it contains the necessary cables to connect to either the MegaRAID 9341-8i or the MegaRAID 9361-8i.

Tower 7910

The Tower 7910 allows support for up to four 3.5” HDDs or eight 2.5” HDD/SSDs.  The four 3.5” HDD carriers  are shipped by default regardless of what is ordered.  The empty carriers will also contain the conversion parts needed to use 2.5” HDD/SSDs.  If your order contained four or fewer HDD’s, your system will only contain four of the possible eight carriers in the system.  In order to upgrade to get support for the four additional 2.5” HDDs, the below SKU is available –

470-ABHF – Allows user to install four additional 2.5” HDD/SSDs into the 5.25” bay when using any of the storage controller options on the Tower 7910.  The module contains –

A metal frame insert to replace the existing 5.25” bay

Two system fans for additional cooling

A bundled data/power cable that can be used for the embedded storage or the add-in card storage

Additional metal frames needed in order to hold cabling and fans

Dual drop thermal sensor cable to cover bottom drives and top drives

Installation Instructions

Instructions for installing these kits can be found by scanning the QRL Label conveniently located on the top of your chassis, or by following the below links.

Tower 7910

Installing four 2.5" HDD/SSDs in the 5.25" bay

Tower 5810

Installing a 3.5" HDD in the 5.25" bay

Installing two 2.5" HDD/SSDs in the 5.25" bay

Tower 7810

Installing a 3.5" HDD in the 5.25" bay

Installing two 2.5" HDD/SSDs in the 5.25" bay

Comments
  • Thanks for posting this- very helpful.

Unfortunately - it looks like the actual parts themselves are not available.  I just got off from a chat with customer support and they said the that part numbers are not in their database to order. They said come back in a month.

I also found the Youtube video(s) with the instructions on doing this install - this page is approximately a month old - the Youtube video is 3 months old.  

Instructions are great - being able to actually get the parts would be even better.

• Same here .... I've been trying to find the 575-BBEM and the 575-BBEH and Dell cannot find the parts.  Andrew are you sure these are the cor

• Really appreciate the feedback.  I can confirm that the SKU's are correct and available.  I'm looking into why they may not be showing up in some places.

• Thanks DELL-Andrew I.  It would be very helpful after you look into the issue if you could post a link to the SKU's so I can get them ordered!

Thanks again.

• Yes - if the ordering issue could be resolved it would be very helpful.  I would order the parts as soon as I could find a way to.   Like I said before: this posting and the Youtube videos are great - they are VERY informative and well done.  We just need to be able to order the actual parts...............

• Is there any update on this? Are the kits available yet?

• I'm still waiting on an update also!!

• I just checked with customer service / parts sales - and the kit is still not available.

In all seriousness - this is piss poor customer service.  This is a simple kit with some screws, a metal piece , some fans - and a couple of cables.  The installation video has now been out for MONTHS as has this page. And the kit is STILL not available.

• I also found this post very informative and used it as a reference when ordering new T7910. Sadly this post was actually required during ordering since none of the sales people I talked to knew how to find this part or anything about what I was talking about for adding drives. I was finally able to get transferred to a "Technical Person" that found the parts immediately and placed the order. I can confirm that a order is being processed for 470-ABHF so seems like they are finally able to ship them.. One last heads up though is nothing says if this comes with the carrier for the drives or not so they also added 4 of those on to the order for this expansion mount.

• That's great news.  What process did you have to go thru to actually get them ordered?  Do you know who specifically you had to talk to?  I've been thru this three times now and gotten nowhere trying to order these parts.

• Hey jwil44, that question might be tough to answer as their phone system routes you all over the place so I am not sure what department I ended up in. I can tell you the exact process I went through in hopes it helps. I contacted the 1-800-456-3355 small/medium business department and the original agent that I was talking to could not understand at all what I was looking for. He just kept trying to order me 4 hard drives instead of the mount insert and I previously invested over 9 hours dealing with Dell on the phone over a few days for this entire process of ordering the computer and getting information on setups I needed so I was absolutely fed up at this point and politely asked to talk to someone that had more knowledge on the T7910 in particular since I had a specific question. He then transferred me to his technical person so I am not sure what department that qualifies as but when I explained the part he found it pretty quickly. He still didn't seem to know much about the part though and when I asked him what it came with he pretty much read what was on this original post above word for word. That is when I asked about ordering the carriers for the hard drives because there was no mention of them being included. He found the part number but said they were not in stock, he did have refurbished ones in stock so I ordered those. I questioned him on how this could possibly be a refurbished part since it is a piece of plastic with a handle but he seemed to have no info and at just over a $1 a piece I said heck with it and add them on so I can be done with this entire process. The actual expansion bracket cost $200 . Sorry for the lengthy post and complaining but I hope this helps some people in the process.

• Carn723;    Thanks for the info.  That is helpful - but it sounds like Dell still doesn't have their you know what straight on this if it's that hard just to order a part.  And $200?  What the heck?  It's a metal bracket and some mounts for the drives and I think there's a fan that's supposed to come with it (according to the Youtube video).  That's just a little outrageous.

• Yeah I agree with you 100% on both counts. I think I had so much time vested I couldn't back out at this point since I require those extra drives but that is excessive for what it is. It does at least come with the cable also but still not worth the price. At least this document exist with model numbers and should make the process easier to give them what it is you need to order cause they sure wont know hah.

• I bought my T7910 early 2015. I bought it with the 5.25" bay unit to give me 4 x 2.5" drive bays. Later on, when I learned about it from <a href="http:" />servethehome.com, I also bought the PCIe card that offers 4 x M.2 PCIe 4x slots.

So I now have:

- 4 x 3.5" drive bays (attached to integrated LSI/Avago SAS controller)

- 4 x 2.5" drive bays (attached to integrated LSI/Avago SAS controller)

- 4 x M.2 PCIe 4x (also known as NVMe) slots

- slimline DVD+/-RW (from the factory)

In this system I currently have:

- Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD (boot drive)

- HGST 2TB 7200rpm drive

- Seagate 4TB SSHD (I haven't really noticed much of a difference in speed from a regular 7200rpm drive, but that's just by feeling and I haven't run actual benchmarks or so to check this)

- 2 x WD 8TB drives that were scavenged from WD USB desktop drives (running in a mirror with Storage Spaces under Windows 10)

As I have only 1 CPU right now, I have a dual slot videocard, a thunderbolt card and the quad NVMe card in there. I only have the regular PCI slot left open, unless I add a 2nd CPU to be able to use the 2 PCIe 16x slots at the top in the chassis.

• We've purchased "470-ABHF" from our supplier. They've provided a component list, which is equal to shown here. But this page: www.dell.com/.../installing-five-or-more-hard-drives-into-precision-t7600-t7610-and-t7910-systems says that thermal sensor ( 6J8J3 ASSY,CBL,HD,THRM,SEC,T7600 ) is also needed. Now, after installing components I have - these two additional fans are spinning very slow. Now I think that I do need those "dual thermal sensor" to make them spin faster. I've contacted dell technical support and they confirmed I do need it. But they say it should be included in "470-ABHF". So... Where's the truth? Is the "470-ABHF" component list in this article not valid?