Dell Command | Update

Enterprise Client - Wiki

Dell Command | Update

Enterprise Client - Wiki

Dell Command | Update replaces DCSU and is a part of the Dell Client Command Suite. It provides a 2-click solution for getting all the latest drivers, firmware, and BIOS updates for your Latitude, Optiplex, and Precision systems.

New features in version 2.1.1 include:

- Advanced Driver Restore feature updated to support the high performance commercial systems.
- Self-Update feature of Dell Command | Update changed to accommodate version 2.1.

New features in version 2.1 include:

- Support for Windows 10 operating system
- Ability to suspend Windows BitLocker for applicable updates
- Ability to provide feedback from application GUI.
- Support for additional languages: Chinese (Taiwan), Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong SAR), Dutch (Netherlands), Italian

Download Dell Command | Update 2.1.1 (released November 27, 2015)

Documentation Links

Comments
  • In DCSU, using False in the policy.xml file would disable the popup box from displaying when the program is first ran. Not only is this not documented in this new version, but it seems hit or miss as to whether it works or not. I do *not* want the popup box to appear, ever. I want to set it in the policy.xml and be done with it all. Right now, it seems very hit or miss whether or not the popup dialog presents itself. Anyone else experiencing this?

• The comment system seems to have eaten my comments. It should be, using "ShowSetupPopup" = False in the policy.xml file.

• Are you using the proper import process for the policy?  You should use "dcu-cli.exe /import /policy " to ensure that the policy is properly imported.  The DCSU 1.0 process of dropping a policy file in the install directory isn't the current supported method.  You should add a post install step to call the command to load the policy and it should work for you.

• I have found two issues with this software in its default configuration.  First, the driver version search results do not match what is available on the support web site and drivers that are years old aren't recommended.  Secondly, unchecking the "automatically reboot" box when applying updates does not always prevent an unexpected reboot.

• When I installed DCSU 2.0 or lower on dell latitude D630 it says "The application is not supported by this model". Which version should work for me or is there any other way?

• lcsadmin,

DCSU was first available on the E series notebooks.  The D630 is not supported.

• Is there an ETA on updating DCSU to support Windows 10?

• cvantilborg,

version 2.1 that just released supports Win10.  I've updated the download link.

• What is the proper silent install, no restart command to install it from .exe?

• bschwartz,

"/s" is the silent no-restart switch.

• We're thinking of using the dell update tools to update specific drivers.  In this specific case we'd like to use it to only deploy an update of the wireless drivers, not the wired network.  Is this possible, or should we be looking at different tools?  

Thanks in advance for your response.

• Vermino,

You can granularly control the updates for all systems by using Dell Command | Update in conjunction with Dell Repository Manager.  If you are using a systems management console like SCCM, Landesk, KACE, etc.  They are either using our catalog directly in their update feature or you can integrate our catalog into their 3rd party update process (System Center Update Publisher) to get granular control in larger environments.

Warren

• Version 2.1 of dcu-cli.exe (Shows version 2.1.0.218) does NOT do anything with Bitlocker. Is this new feature only in the GUI? I had to do a quick wrapper via BAT to handle it. thank you!

• Does dcu-cli.exe no longer support running as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (ex: in a GPO-distributed scheduled task)? It worked great in v2.0.0, but now that 2.1.0 is available, DCU performs a self-update to v2.1.0, and v2.1.0 of dcu-cli.exe fails to install each identified available update with the message "Install Failed - Return Code JVC00" - where JVC00 is the update ID (ex: JVC00: Intel HD, HD 4000 Graphics Driver - Driver). Since current/patched AD environments no longer support saving user credentials in scheduled tasks, the dcu-cli.exe job needs to be run under the SYSTEM account to have sufficient permissions to install the updates (assuming end-users don't have local admin, which they shouldn't).

• DCU updated itself on my system this week to version 2.1.1.  But I cannot find any way to download the installer separately nor a release announcement so I can update my OS deployments.  Please post the updated version here.