Dell Command | Configure

Enterprise Client - Wiki

Dell Command | Configure

Enterprise Client - Wiki

Dell Command | Configure enables the IT Admin to create profiles and packages of hardware settings for Dell Enterprise client systems.

This product consists of a Command Line Interface (CLI) and Graphical User Interface (GUI) to configure various BIOS features. You can use Dell Command | Configure on Microsoft Windows Pre-installation Environment (Windows PE), Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating systems, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux environments.

Download

The latest version is 3.1 (Released July 2015).

Enhancements included in the new version

• Support for Windows 10 operating system
  • Support for Windows PE 10.0.
  • Support for new platforms.
  • Ability to provide feedback on Dell Command | Configure from the GUI.
  • Support for an enhanced GUI for providing system, setup, and hard disk drive passwords while exporting the .exe file.
  • Support for configuring hard disk drive password using the GUI.
  • Support for the following languages in Dell Command | Configure GUI and Installer:
    • German
    • French
    • Italian
    • Spanish (International)
    • Japanese
    • Chinese - Hong Kong
    • Simplified Chinese - China
    • Traditional Chinese - Taiwan
    • Dutch – Netherlands
  • Support for the following new tokens:
    • Extend Post Time (--extendposttime)
    • External WLAN Activity LED (--extwlanled)
    • Intel Ready Mode Technology (--irmt)
    • Keyboard Backlight Color (keyboardbacklightcolor)
    • Enable Color (--enablecolor)
    • Active Color (--activecolor)
    • Custom Color1 (--customcolor1)
    • Custom Color2 (--customcolor2)
    • Primary Video Device Slot (--primaryvideodeviceslot)
    • Rugged Dock Non-Video Devices (--rdocknonvideodevices)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet Bluetooth (--bluetoothstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet Fans (--fanstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet GPS (--gpsstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet LCD (--lcdstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet LEDs (--ledstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet Speakers (--speakersstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet WLAN (--wlanstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode Quiet WWAN (--wwanstealthmode)
    • Stealth Mode WiGig Radio (--wigigradiostealthmode)
    • USB Port 20 (--usbport20)
    • USB Port 21 (--usbport21)
    • USB Port 22 (--usbport22)
    • USB Port 23 (--usbport23)
    • Wireless Switch WLAN-WIGIG Control (--wswitchwlanwigigctrl)
    • Wireless Switch GPS On WWAN Radio (--wswitchgpsonwwanradio)

Comments
  • Why can we not disable Secure Boot with the CCTK ?

• Secure boot cannot be disabled with remote BIOS configuration tools like Dell Command Configure(CCTK) as it is not allowed by BIOS by design.

This has been done in order to ensure that the system is always booted with trusted OS only in UEFI.

Check the link below to find more details on disabling Secure boot.

technet.microsoft.com/.../dn481258.aspx

• There is a setting under the Optiplex series BIOS in the Security Section 'Password Change' with the checkbox 'Allow Non-Admin Password Changes'. Can I toggle this on/off with CCTK?

• @meales

I believe you are looking for the --admsetuplockout option.  If you disable this a user cans still view the BIOS screens without having to have a BIOS password.

• @Warren Byle - that's great, thanks for confirming!

• What are the supported systems for this software?

The user's guide says "For the list of Dell client systems and operating systems, see the Release notes available in the Command | Configure installation files or at dell.com/clientsystemsmanagement."  However, there are no release notes the and website is difficult to find the information.

• Release notes are in the "Documentation Link" above.  Here's the direct link to the release notes..  http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_client_sys_mgmt/esuprt_client_sys_mgmt_clnt_config_tlkt/dell-cmnd-config-v3.0_Release%20Notes1_en-us.pdf

In short, the Latitude, Optiplex, Precision and Venue Pro 11 platforms are supported.

• <p><p><p><p>Release notes are in the "Documentation Link" above.  Here's the direct link to the release notes.. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">ftp.dell.com/.../dell-cmnd-config-v3.0_Release%20Notes1_en-us.pdf</a></p></p></p></p>

<p><p><p><p>In short, the Latitude, Optiplex, Precision and Venue Pro 11 platforms are supported.</p></p></p></p>

• <p><p><p><p><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">ftp.dell.com/.../dell-cmnd-config-v3.0_Release%20Notes1_en-us.pdf</a></p></p></p></p>

<p><p><p><p>Release notes</p></p></p></p>

• Thanks Warren.  I'm sure it would be nice if you could just reply to existing comments.  The release notes do not list Win7 Enterprise as a supported OS, which I'm sure is just an oversight.

• Correct.  Win7 is supported.

• First, you guys need to advertise these tools more.  We had no idea they existed.  These tools actually allow us to automate some annoying processes enough that we could even start rethinking the need for VDI.

Second, as a test, I deployed a BIOS settings executable to a lab of about 40 OptiPlex 7010 (desktop/slimline) machines that all have the A19 BIOS version.  Here are the main settings I set: an administrator password (so not just anyone can edit the BIOS settings), disable booting from all devices but the internal HDD, disable deep sleep, and enable wake-on-LAN with PXE boot.

The last setting is the one I am having issues with.  When I deployed it, about 35 machines took all the settings except the "wake-on-LAN with PXE boot" setting.  The last 5 machines took all settings, including the "wake-on-LAN with PXE boot" setting.

Any ideas on what would cause this?  Seems like it would have to be some kind of bug, wouldn't it?

• Is it possible to view\report if hard drive encryption (using a FDE hard drive) is enabled on a device?

• I know that I can use cctk.exe on 64bit WinPE5,  but I then have to use plain text passwords.  Is there or will there be a way to make 64bit SCE executables so that I can encrypt my passwords?

• I have found a bug and problem with DCC 3.0.1.  In the GUI, it will not allow for creating an .exe for the --setuppwd WHEN the value is empty. So how does someone clear the BIOS setup password?!  

Furthermore, if just trying to use the cctk.exe (and all folders/files) as part of a ConfigMgr package, the cctk.exe fails ... however, it does succeed if the DCC software is installed.  So this is a bug that it can be run manually and succeed, but can't run successfully in a ConfigMgr package.