ImageAssist .wim file restored to Venue Pro 7140 UEFI won't boot - ImageAssist - Client and Mobile Solutions - Dell Community

ImageAssist .wim file restored to Venue Pro 7140 UEFI won't boot

Client and Mobile Solutions

Client and Mobile Solutions
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure, and Virtualize Enterprise Client and Mobility solutions from experts and peers.

ImageAssist .wim file restored to Venue Pro 7140 UEFI won't boot

This question has been answered by ed_goldberg

I'm trying to build a Gold Image to submit to Dell Factory manufacturing for my employer (University of Rochester). I've been able to capture a number of .wim files which always test well in the Hyper-V environment using Gen1 VMs (MBR).

However on the Venue Pro 11 (meant to test for UEFI hardware restore), the .wim is applied and on reboot the boot files cannot be found and it just hangs. If I force ImageAssist to bring up the CMD window I can manually run a BCDboot command to copy UEFI boot files to the drive, reboot and it goes straight through to the first time login screen.

I need some guidance/consulting on how best to capture from a VM that will allow me to then apply the .wim to ANY format of Dell hardware (MBR/BIOS vs. GPT/UEFI). It's not clear to me if I need to capture 2 different .wim files (one from Hyper-V gen1, then one from Hyper-V gen2) and supply those to Dell? I was hoping we could get one .wim file to work with the Dell Restore Tool on UEFI or MBR fomat computers. I'm curious to know what's the best path. Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Custom Configuration Services for custom imaging does not configure any systems, its what the customer would ship to Dell for deployment.  If MBR format is still required in your environment, then yes two images would be required.  The caveat with building MBR formatting is that there is a limitation on hardware, for ex: Follow on from Sky Lake, the Kaby Lake processor chip set only supports Win_10 UEFI.  If not environment limited, going forward with all UEFI would be the way to go. 

All Replies
  • Hello,

This is something that cannot be accomplished.  If built in MBR mode it needs to be restored in MBR mode and if GPT mode then it needs to be restored in GPT mode.  The hard drive formatting is not the same for both.  You will need to provide to separate images for each format.

• So is it fair to say for new hardware shipped direct from Dell factory we should target UEFI/GPT alone, or provide 2 Gold images (one MBR and GPT)?

Is Dell configuring most systems as GPT? I know there was a bit of transition (this time last year) with 74xx series Latitude laptops, at first they were legacy, then started delivery with UEFI/GPT.

• Custom Configuration Services for custom imaging does not configure any systems, its what the customer would ship to Dell for deployment.  If MBR format is still required in your environment, then yes two images would be required.  The caveat with building MBR formatting is that there is a limitation on hardware, for ex: Follow on from Sky Lake, the Kaby Lake processor chip set only supports Win_10 UEFI.  If not environment limited, going forward with all UEFI would be the way to go. 

• Ed thanks for that forward look. I was not aware of the chipset/processor requirements going forward. I'm going to choose the UEFI/GPT for the submission of a gold image to Dell manufacturing.

As for local needs for Legacy/MBR restores, I will simply use the image captured in Hyper-V on the Gen1 VM. That I'm certain will test as compatible with real hardware in Legacy mode.

Thanks for the guidance much appreciated.