Driver Packs Folder - ImageAssist - Client and Mobile Solutions - Dell Community

Driver Packs Folder

Client and Mobile Solutions

Client and Mobile Solutions
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure, and Virtualize Enterprise Client and Mobility solutions from experts and peers.

Driver Packs Folder

This question has been answered by Dell Image Assist

Hello,

From page 18 of the ImageAssist documentation:

"You do not have to manually select the driver if you have already placed it in the Dell_Driver_Packs_Local folder. If you want to restore the image to multiple systems, you can add the applicable driver package files to Dell_Driver_Package_Local folder."

Two folders are mentioned here, Dell_Driver_Packs_Local and Dell_Driver_Package_Local.  Which one should I use, and where should it be created (e.g. on the root of C:\, etc.)?  I'm using driver packs found here:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/11438.dell-family-driver-packs

Thank you!

Josh

Verified Answer
  • Good afternoon Josh,

the documentation contains a typo, and a change request has been raised. The only folder that is used by Dell ImageAssist to automatically detect drivers that could be used during the image restoration is Dell_Driver_Packs_Local.

This folder is located in the USB Drive that can be created with Dell ImageAssist and used to locally restore images.

You can copy the driver packs, downloaded from the link you mention in your message, in this folder, and then start an image restoration. If the drivers for the model where the image is being restored are present in the folder Dell_Driver_Packs_Local, they will be automatically detected and will not need to select them manually in the user interface.

Kind regards

Mattia Cabras

Mattia Cabras

Configuration Services Sr. Analyst

Dell | Imaging Technology Support - EMEA

• @BNEWTONINPDX  They need to remain zipped

DIA will detect them and unzip them if they are in Dell_Driver_Packs_Local

if they are in any other location you will need to browse to it and select them, but they still need to remain zipped. DIA will take care of the extraction-Thanks.

Dell Image Assist Support

All Replies
  • Good afternoon Josh,

the documentation contains a typo, and a change request has been raised. The only folder that is used by Dell ImageAssist to automatically detect drivers that could be used during the image restoration is Dell_Driver_Packs_Local.

This folder is located in the USB Drive that can be created with Dell ImageAssist and used to locally restore images.

You can copy the driver packs, downloaded from the link you mention in your message, in this folder, and then start an image restoration. If the drivers for the model where the image is being restored are present in the folder Dell_Driver_Packs_Local, they will be automatically detected and will not need to select them manually in the user interface.

Kind regards

Mattia Cabras

Mattia Cabras

Configuration Services Sr. Analyst

Dell | Imaging Technology Support - EMEA

• Wonderful, this is exactly what I needed.  Thank you!

• I have a follow up question:

I have the driver packs on my external drive with my image

What is the best practice to browse to the specific driver pack for the system I'm imaging?  Do the packs need to remain zipped or extracted?   I was getting "No Driver Detected" when I browsed to the parent folder of the extracted Driver Pack. 

If I add the driver packs to the Dell_Driver_Packs_Local - do I keep them zipped, or unzip and copy the newly created folder?

• @BNEWTONINPDX  They need to remain zipped

DIA will detect them and unzip them if they are in Dell_Driver_Packs_Local

if they are in any other location you will need to browse to it and select them, but they still need to remain zipped. DIA will take care of the extraction-Thanks.

Dell Image Assist Support