PXE support in Latitude 3180/3189 - Enterprise Client - Forum - Client and Mobile Solutions - Dell Community

PXE support in Latitude 3180/3189

Client and Mobile Solutions

Client and Mobile Solutions
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure, and Virtualize Enterprise Client and Mobility solutions from experts and peers.

PXE support in Latitude 3180/3189

This question is not answered

Does anyone know if PXE support is available in the Latitude 3180/3189 models? In the past I have used a SMSC Lan7500 ethernet dongle, but that does not seem to work on these. I am able to boot off of a usb thumb drive and use the SMSC Lan7500 adapter to download the images.  My sales rep suggested a Dell Part : 470-ABBT, and I have already ordered it.  So I am keeping my my fingers crossed, but hopping somebody will already know if it can be done.

All Replies
  • Yes RUSSELL, PXE support available in Latitude 3180 model, Hope the part number mentioned above will work without any issue. Apparently i tried USB Dongle (Model#DBJBCBC064) in 3180 systems which work without any trouble.

Thanks

Pramod R

DELL-Pramod R
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell
    Drivers & Driver Order

• Using the DBJBCBC064 on either the 3180 or the 3189 with the latest BIOS 1.1.1 configured for PXE boot, UEFI mode, either Secure Boot or not, did not work for me.  If I try to PXE boot while BIOS is set to UEFI mode, it acts like it it going to work, but then the computer flips to Hardware Diagnostics on its own, no trouble is found, and I'm stuck with my only option to reboot.  I can only successfully PXE boot and image the laptop via SCCM when BIOS is set to Legacy mode.

SCCM itself has been updated with the latest Windows 10 driver pack.

When set to Legacy mode. the machine images, but then I get two bangs in Windows 10's Device Manager, both of which are labeled under Other Devices thusly, "PCI Simple Communications Controller".  The hardware IDs are:

First PCI Simple Communications Controller-

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&SUBSYS_07B31028&REV_0B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&SUBSYS_07B31028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&CC_078000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9C&CC_0780

..and the other one:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_0B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&SUBSYS_00000000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&&REV_0B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&CC_078000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5A9E&CC_0780

Any ideas?  I've tried manually downloading and installing all available drivers under my 3189's tag number, and I still can't get rid of the bangs.  I also have a 3180 laptop, identically configured, and it exhibits the same problem.

I also have a Dell Legacy LD17 adapter (overkill) that supports MAC address pass through just fine while using its USB3.0-Ethernet functionality, and that seems to be giving me the best chance for success, but this is where I'm stuck right now.

A Dell engineer told me a simple USB3.0-Ethernet dongle, also with MAC pass through support, is scheduled to be released in mid-July, and I hope that dongle will fix things, but right now I have an "unproven" system.

• Have you found any update to this?  We are having the same issue with UEFI boot and the Dell adapters on this model.

Thanks,

Jalene

• I have purchased 20 new dell latitude 3189 laptops.  I want to PXE boot them to image them from SCCM, but in the bios the only boot option is to boot to windows boot manager.

I did buy a Ethernet to USB adapter at best buy and do see the network link light on the switch. 

any help is appreciated.

• I had some startech USB Ethernet adapters that we used to PXE boot older dell laptops, mostly XPS13's for us, and they did not work. I bought the Dell USB 3.0 to ethernet PXE Boot adapter and it worked properly.  There was a check box in the bios for enable UEFI network stack that I also had to check. 

• That little bit about PXE boot looking like it's going to work and then the system flipping to Hardware Diagnostics is exactly what I'm experiencing.  We have SCCM 2012 (1702) and I'm using the Dell USB Ethernet dongle (FM76N Model # DBJBCBC064 Rev A02).  This part works to PXE boot the Dell Latitude 3180, but only if the PXE service is on a flat LAN (e.g server on 192.168.1.1 and client on 192.168.1.101).  If PXE has to traverse a LAN stack or VLAN (e.g. server on 10.7.255.1 and client on 10.7.30.51), the 3180 exhibits the behaviour noted above.  This does not happen with any other Latitude product such as the 5285 (using the same Ethernet dongle noted here) nor does it happen with any other Latitude line product I have tested such as the E6500, E6510, E6520, E6x30, E6x40, E5x40, E5x50, E5x70, 5x80, E7x40, E7x50, E7x70, 3330, 3340, 3350, 3480, XT, XT2, XT3.  There is clearly an issue with the firmware shipping on the 3180 which prevents it from successfully receiving the boot blocks from PXE when it's routed across VLANs. 

• Update:  DELL2K is correct.  Upon further testing, we also discovered that the 3189 would PXE boot in UEFI mode just fine IF it is connected to the same VLAN on which the SCCM server resides.  If we move the 3189 to any other VLAN, then we see the problem again.  No other laptop, even last year's 3150 models that we successfully imaged in UEFI/Secure boot mode, exhibit this problem.

Doing a Wireshark check from the SCCM server, comparing the 3189 traffic when it is inside (successful PXE boot) vs outside (unsuccessful PXE boot) the SCCM VLAN, it appears that no ACK is being sent at a certain point, so communication halts.  Since we only see the problem when the unit is in UEFI mode, and it appears that the UEFI network stack is separate from the Legacy mode network stack, it would seem that there is a problem with the UEFI network stack.

Supposedly, this issue has been escalated to development in order to address the problem, but to my knowledge, no ETA has been issued for a fix.

• but I don't even see the option to pxe boot, the only boot option is windows boot manager.

• Dusky6199, the PXE boot option only shows up when you have the Dell USB Ethernet adapter noted (in the previous post) connected.

• Stan, in the meantime, I have gotten around the Secure Boot/PXE problem by creating SCCM Task Sequence Media on a USB stick selecting the Bootable media option to deploy using ConfigMgr infrastructure.  The side effect to this is that the loading of WinPE is lightening fast.