Dell E6320 Power Management BIOS Settings and Setting with CCTK

Enterprise Client

Enterprise Client
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure and Virtualize your Dell clients from experts and peers.

Dell E6320 Power Management BIOS Settings and Setting with CCTK

• I have now tried to find the settings via cctk that will allow me to change the following in BIOS

Power Management / Wireless Radio Control - Ensure that both 'Control WLAN Radio' and 'Control WWAN Radio' are selected.

But I can’t locate the settings to enable me to script these into our build as well.

When I run an export of the entire BIOS settings with those settings enabled and then an import back into a machine where they are disabled the settings do not change

I have read the documentation on cctk and it mentions some settings are not replicable between machines and was wondering whether the Power Management settings are one of those settings

As long as we know we can’t do it we will press on with what we have, but if it is possible still via the CCTK utility could you let us know how it would be done as I have hit a wall on this as can’t see any other settings to try and I have tried all so far in the cctk listing to no avail …

I just need these 2 options enabled within the Power Management Section in the BIOS but am stuck finding a resolve for this if there is one.

• The Wireless radio control is a known issue that is being addressed by the CCTK and BIOS teams. I don't know when the fix will be available.
  • Here's an alternate method of modifying the WWAN/WLAN Radios with CCTK.

Syntax is CCTK.exe --token=

Token Value: 0x0329
    Mapping Name: WWAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Enable
    Description: When the wireless WWAN device is enabled, this token will enable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WWAN when
    the wired WWAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032A
    Mapping Name: WWAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Disable
    Description: When the wireless WWAN device is enabled, this token will disable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WWAN when
    the wired WWAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032B
    Mapping Name: WLAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Enable
    Description: When the wireless WLAN device is enabled, this token will enable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WLAN when
    the wired WLAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032C
    Mapping Name: WLAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Disable
    Description: When the wireless WLAN device is enabled, this token will disable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WLAN when
    the wired WLAN is connected to the network.
  • When I try cctk --controlwlanradio=enable I get error "The Option 'controlwlanradio' is not available or cannot be configured through software"
  • What version of CCTK are you using? The controlwlanradio option was updated in the recently released CCTK version 2.0.1.
  • Im using CCTK 2.0.1
    But in the download page at dell.com its written that release date is 7/25/2011
    When I write cctk.exe then it says version jul 15 2011.
    Anyhow, when I write cctk.exe then it lists all commands I can use, but controlwwanradio and controlwlanradio isnt available, but keyboardilluminutation is (which is also added in version 2.0.1).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CCTK\X86_64>cctk -h --controlwlanradio
    controlwlanradio: If Enabled, this feature will sense the connection of the sys
    tem to a wired network and subsequently disable the WLAN radio. Upon disconnect
    ion from the wired network, the WLAN radio will be re-enabled.
    Arguments: enable | disable

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CCTK\X86_64>cctk --controlwlanradio=enable

The option 'controlwlanradio' is not available or cannot be configured
    through software.
  • My mistake, the -contrlwlanradio function in CCTK 2.0.1 is updated but requires a newer BIOS that should be showing up later this month. Sorry about the confusion.
  • "My mistake, the -contrlwlanradio function in CCTK 2.0.1 is updated but requires a newer BIOS that should be showing up later this month. Sorry about the confusion."
    Warren thanks for saving me a ton of time... Do we have a firm ETA yet?
  • I don't have a firm date, but I hope for it to be released by the end of the August.
  • "I don't have a firm date, but I hope for it to be released by the end of the August."
    there is a new BIOS today
    Does one of the fixes below fix the issue mentioned in the thread?

1. Addressed CD boot issues.
    2. Addressed Hard Drives hang issue in AHCI mode.
    3. Addressed Hard Drives encryption issue in ATA mode.
    4. Fixed issue where the MAC address would be incorrect after disabling the Integrated NIC in Setup.
    5. Added support for Signed Firmware Update Transition BIOS.
    6. Updated to the MOB_P_11 version of the Intel microcode patch.
    7. Updated to the 1.2.0 version of Intel System Agent reference code.
    8. Updated to the 1.2 version of Intel PCH Reference Code.
    9. Updated to the 1.2.1.1 version of Intel PPM Reference Code.
  • seems to work! thank goodness!
  • New BIOS for 6320,6420,6520, but not for 6220, why not??
  • Where can I find a list of all Dell laptops models that support Power Management / Wireless Radio Control feature?
  • I tried the "cctk --controlwlanradio=enable" command on an E6410 with latest BIOS (A10) but still getting same error message as AlliGaGa reported (see below).  I'm also running CCTK 2.01 & according to its documentation, the E6410 is supported

"The option 'controlwlanradio' is not available or cannot be configured

through software"

Is the Wireless Radio Control feature only available on later Dell models?

• Yes, the -controlwlanradio feature is only supported on the latest laptop models.