OptiPlex 7010 XP Mass Storage Driver

Enterprise Client

Enterprise Client
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure and Virtualize your Dell clients from experts and peers.

OptiPlex 7010 XP Mass Storage Driver

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi!

I've been struggling all week with the XP Mass Storage Driver for the OptiPlex 7010 without any luck! (Windows XP)
Does anyone any idea which Driver and Driver model I shall choose for a 7010, with the SATA Operation set to "AHCI" ?
My first guess was "the same as 790" but I was out of luck!

Im using the Driver Cabs from Techcenter!

Thanks in advance!

All Replies
  • I'm having the same issue with deploying our Windows XP SP3 image using WDS & MDT2010. If I switch the drive to ATA it works fine, but none of the AHCI drivers will work for the SATA/AHCI mode.  The system crashes right before the State Restore Task of the deployment.

• After spending a considerable time testing and troubleshooting, the solution was to take the existing Windows XP (x86) image (built on a VM with the HAL set to ACPI) and change the HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor which all our latest Dell hardware supports.  For some reason the new chipset in the 7010 doesn't work with basic ACPI HAL and Mini-Setup hangs.  Also,the 7010 will requires the Intel IRST mass storage drivers (IASTOR and IAAHCI) to be updated to v11.0 (via Dell download) within the OS and update the correspondingCriticalDeviceDatabase registry key in Windows XP.  Unfortunately the newer IRST mass storage driver v11.0 doesn't work on older Dell models which needed v10.1 instead. In order to use 1 image, a workaround would be to copy the updated IRST mass storage driver via the MDT task sequence if the model = Optiplex 7010, before the OS does the initial bootup.  

• Thanks for the input, but  I cannot change the image, as all of our other models depend on it..

The driver CAB pack just needs to be updated, AND TESTED before released...

• Hi!

I got it to work. Used the SATA driver that was included in the driver cab package for the 7010 (xp)

Created a driver package in SCCM for it and in the TS i configured it like this:

Driver: Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

Model: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Installs and works fine.

• Hrrm.. doesn't work here.

I can clearly see that the TS is downloading the correct drivers, but it seems like the "installing device drivers" just pops by, without doing anything.

Followed by a reboot, and then we have the glorious bluscreen. (in fact, the bsod is so fast, that i can't see it, i just see the black screen saying "we apologize for the inconvenience..."

If i install XP manually, with a floppy, and choose the driver, everything works...

• THANK YOU !!!  I updated the HAL from Uniprocessor to MultiProcessor and recaptured our VMWare image and it works !!!!

• Changing this (HAL), will that possible cause older models to stop working?

• I unfortunately don't have a 7010 to test with, however this is how I setup my Task Sequence for my 9010 unit:

4 Steps grouped together by the Intel Rapid Storage Driver Version (Model queries on the Group) for the OptiPlex 9010 and the 4 new Latitudes.

Each of these steps points to a common "Mass Storage Driver Package" and I'm using the following drivers:

Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

For the OptiPlex 9010, I select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

or the Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller as the specific model (shown below). 

Hope this helps.

-Dustin

• I just tested the updated image with a Dell 745 and didn't have any issues. I also run the HalDetect script in my task sequence (Z-HalDetect.wsf).

• - Download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Management Console and Driver from DELL for your OptiPlex 7010. As of today, the file is called: iata_cd_010512ZP_ZPE.exe (Version:  11.0.0.1032, A00)

- Unpack this file, e.g. automatically to C:\Dell\Drivers\02PTJ\

- Extract the driver files by running:

setup.exe -a -a -p c:\AHCI

- Copy the driver files from c:\AHCI to your floppy disk

- Boot from your Windows XP setup CD, press F6

- When you are asked to select the driver from floppy then choose:

Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

- On the next screen enter "S" to use the driver from the floppy

Worked fine here for our DELL OptiPlex 7010.

• Hello, my name is Luke, I'm Italian and I am the owner of a Dell 7010.

I also had the problem of the blue screen while I was installing windows XP Prof.

I solved the problem by entering the bios and setting in SATA Operation -> ATA instead of AHCI

at the moment, I do not find the video driver and audio and I can not install