No Nvidia Optimus or Wireless Radio Control support in CCTK

Client and Mobile Solutions

Client and Mobile Solutions
Learn how to Deploy, Manage, Secure, and Virtualize Enterprise Client and Mobility solutions from experts and peers.

No Nvidia Optimus or Wireless Radio Control support in CCTK

• I'm in the process of rolling out a bunch of 6420s. I downloaded the latest CCTK (v2.0), but it doesn't support the BIOS settings for Nvidia Optimus or Wireless Radio Control. When can we expect this?

Figured I might be able to change the settings via OMCI, but the latest (v8.0.1) doesn't support Wireless Radio Control either.
  • Which Wireless radio are you trying to control? I'm checking on the Optimus capability.

Thanks!
  • "Which Wireless radio are you trying to control? I'm checking on the Optimus capability.

Thanks!"
    There's an option in the BIOS under Power Management called Wireless Radio Control. There are two check boxes, one called Control WLAN Radio, and the other Control WWAN Radio. When these options are checked, if a cable is plugged into the Ethernet port, those radios are disabled. There isn't an option in the latest CCTK to change this setting.
  • I'm checking with the CCTK dev team.
  • "I'm checking with the CCTK dev team. "
    Hi Warren,

Do you have any news on the enabling Optimus in the BIOS topic through CCTK? We're deploying large numbers of new E6x20 series systems and really need to automate as much as possible.

Thanks and kind regards.
  • It is being included in the next release of CCTK which should be out in 4-6 weeks.
  • Here's an alternate method of modifying the WWAN/WLAN Radios with CCTK.

Syntax is CCTK.exe --token=

Token Value: 0x0329
    Mapping Name: WWAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Enable
    Description: When the wireless WWAN device is enabled, this token will enable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WWAN when
    the wired WWAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032A
    Mapping Name: WWAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Disable
    Description: When the wireless WWAN device is enabled, this token will disable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WWAN when
    the wired WWAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032B
    Mapping Name: WLAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Enable
    Description: When the wireless WLAN device is enabled, this token will enable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WLAN when
    the wired WLAN is connected to the network.

Token Value: 0x032C
    Mapping Name: WLAN Control Auto Sense
    Mapping Value: Disable
    Description: When the wireless WLAN device is enabled, this token will disable the feature that automatically turns off the wireless WLAN when
    the wired WLAN is connected to the network.
  • Does not work on our E6520, tried all Tokens with actual CCTK v2.0.1:

CCTK.exe --token=0x0329
    The state byte is not available on this system

Also in the "PlatformConfig32" tool I could not find any command, any other suggestions - need to enable it for wlan and disable wwan
  • This requires the A06 or newer BIOS. Have you tried it with the latest BIOS?
  • thanks Warren - that's it yeah :-)

(btw for others - it is not possible to upgrade directly to A06 or higher - seems separate upgrade to A05 required first)
  • Warren, its been close to a year since you said the next version would have these options, however all I can find is the same 2.0.1 version on Dell's site, any word when the next version will be available?

Thanks.

• CCTK 2.0.1 is the version I was referencing for the WLAN radio controls.  CCTK 2.0 didn't have them.  

• Is there an option I'm missing in 2.0.1 for the Wireless Radio Control, other than the workaround --token= option you provided above?

Thanks.

• Which systems are you trying to modify?  The WLAN controls only apply to the Exx20's.  

• Also keep in mind that if you are running an old version of Dell BIOS, not all features are available via the OMCI Interface.  It's a two-piece thing.  OMCI must support it, and the BIOS must support it via the API.

If you are having issues on one of the systems, check to see that you have an updated version of BIOS.