The existential question, asked by everyone and everything throughout their lifetimes – who am I? High school seniors choosing a college, college seniors considering grad school or entering the job market, adults in the midst of their mid-life crisis—the question comes far easier than the answer.

In the world of technology, who you are depends on the technology with which you are interacting. On Facebook, you are your quirky personal self, with pictures of your family and vacations you take. On LinkedIn, you are your professional self, sharing articles and achievements that are aligned with your career.

What about on the myriad devices you carry around? On the smartphone in my pocket, I have several personas—personal, business, gamer (my kids borrow my phone), constantly context-switching between them. In the not-too-distant past, people would carry two phones—one for personal use and one for work, keeping the personas separate via physical separation—two personas, two devices.

Applications like Gmail now allow you to have multiple accounts visible within the same app, so you don’t need two phones, which certainly helps as long as you use only one mail system for your different personas. Want to keep your non-profit volunteer emails separate from your stream of emails from your kids’ teachers? That’s two more personas to shift between, two more accounts manage, made worse if one is on Yahoo and another is on Gmail.

Once you know who you want to be in any given situation, the next question is: who owns those personas? At work, Dell issues my identity to me, in the form of my email address and badge number. That works great for accessing work systems but is of no value in accessing LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, or my personal Box.com accounts. For these, I need yet another set of accounts, usernames, passwords and security tokens for two-factor authentication. No wonder people re-use passwords everywhere!

Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo and others have gone a step further, letting you use your identity—as it’s known to them—to log into sites across the web. Using social login, as this is known, allows one to shop at online stores, post blog comments, etc. without having to manually create a separate user account at each site. You trust Facebook to manage your identity; the store trusts Facebook; transitively, the store trusts you (at least to a minimal extent) and is happy to get your personal information straight from Facebook.

In our Dell Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution, we are incorporating standards-based identity federation into all of our products. Your own corporate-managed identity can be used to log into each of your Dell EMM components, eliminating the need for manual provisioning of your accounts into each and having separate passwords to remember. As we add more to the Dell EMM footprint, they, too, will accept your identity. With Dell EMM and its secure workspace, Dell Mobile Workspace, your one enterprise persona gives you secure access to your network, business phone service, content collaboration service, email, contacts, calendar and web browser—even on your personal device. No more split personality!