Pinning / Unpinning items from Windows 10 taskbar - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

Pinning / Unpinning items from Windows 10 taskbar

Pinning / Unpinning items from Windows 10 taskbar

This question is not answered

We're starting to rollout Windows 10 and want to remove the Store and Edge icons from the taskbar and then add IE11. We're getting ready to upgrade our DA to 9.3 and wonder if that has the ability to do that.

Verified Answer
  • I would love for Dell to create an easy to use UI to accomplish this.  I'm not sure if one exists in 9.3 as we are still on 9.1.  How we accomplish it is through the Application launcher.  We have three elements called:

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2010

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2013

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2016

Each one has validation logic that checks for the presence of that version of word (ie, Office 2010 is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword.exe) and that SLTtraceLogoff.htm does not exist (because we only want this to happen once... we don't want to overwrite what the user may pin or move).

It then runs the appropriate batch file out of our \\domain\netlogon\scripts folder, for example \Restore-Default_Pinned_Taskbar_Items.bat  I go tthis from another site, and basically here is the script

:: Created by: Shawn Brink
    :: http://www.sevenforums.com
    :: Tutorial:  www.sevenforums.com/.../212923-taskbar-backup-restore-pinned-items-windows-7-a.html

mkdir "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"

DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*"

copy /y "\\domain.com\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup\TaskBar" "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F

REG IMPORT \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup.reg

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

In that folder \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup is both a reg key and a taskbar folder.  In the taskbar folder are all the shortcuts, in our case is IE, word, excel, outlook, windows explorer, and 3 other applications we use in house.

You can basically set your taskbar how you run it and execute a batch file that generates this information:

:: Tutorial:  www.sevenforums.com/.../212923-taskbar-backup-restore-pinned-items-windows-7-a.html

@echo off
    ECHO THIS WILL BACKUP CURRENT PINNED TASKBAR ITEMS TO THE NETWORK FOR DEAFULT PROFILE
    SET /P ANSWER=ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CONTINUE (Y/N)?
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={y} (goto :yes)
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={yes} (goto :yes)
    goto :no

:yes
    mkdir "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\TaskBar"
    DEL /F /S /Q /A "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\*"
    copy /y "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\TaskBar"
    REG EXPORT HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup.reg /y
    exit /b 0

:no
    ECHO NOTHING DONE.
    pause
    exit /b 1

Basically alter the paths that fit your environment.

All Replies
  • I would love for Dell to create an easy to use UI to accomplish this.  I'm not sure if one exists in 9.3 as we are still on 9.1.  How we accomplish it is through the Application launcher.  We have three elements called:

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2010

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2013

Default Pinned Taskbar Icons with Office 2016

Each one has validation logic that checks for the presence of that version of word (ie, Office 2010 is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword.exe) and that SLTtraceLogoff.htm does not exist (because we only want this to happen once... we don't want to overwrite what the user may pin or move).

It then runs the appropriate batch file out of our \\domain\netlogon\scripts folder, for example \Restore-Default_Pinned_Taskbar_Items.bat  I go tthis from another site, and basically here is the script

mkdir "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"

DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*"

copy /y "\\domain.com\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup\TaskBar" "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F

REG IMPORT \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup.reg

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

In that folder \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup is both a reg key and a taskbar folder.  In the taskbar folder are all the shortcuts, in our case is IE, word, excel, outlook, windows explorer, and 3 other applications we use in house.

You can basically set your taskbar how you run it and execute a batch file that generates this information:

@echo off
    ECHO THIS WILL BACKUP CURRENT PINNED TASKBAR ITEMS TO THE NETWORK FOR DEAFULT PROFILE
    SET /P ANSWER=ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CONTINUE (Y/N)?
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={y} (goto :yes)
    if /i {%ANSWER%}=={yes} (goto :yes)
    goto :no

:yes
    mkdir "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\TaskBar"
    DEL /F /S /Q /A "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\*"
    copy /y "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" "\\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\TaskBar"
    REG EXPORT HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband \\domain\netlogon\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup2016\Taskbar-Pinned-Items-Backup.reg /y
    exit /b 0

:no
    ECHO NOTHING DONE.
    pause
    exit /b 1

Basically alter the paths that fit your environment.

• Great script and details. Thanks so much for this.

Just one tip: Did you know that DA has a Timing validation, to make sure a script only runs once per PC? It's at the bottom of the list. That way you can re-deploy to PCs that already have been logged in or something.

• Yes I'm familiar with the timing element. I think we had issues with it for some reason and this particular script.  One of the things it does after it imports the files is taskkill explorer and restart it.  For whatever reason this process causes the window open to the "Libraries" area of the PC (Documents, Music, Videos, Downloads, etc....).  I'm not sure if it had something to do with this or not but I remember thoroughly testing and the workaround was to check for the existence of that logoff script.

• Oh and for those who have Windows 10, to make the search bar an icon instead, make a registry element to Write Value to HKEY_CURRENT_USER at SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search value SearchboxTaskbarMode Data 1, decimal.  Its a REG_DWORD.

And in WIndows 10 if you want the Explorer icon to launch "ThisPC" instead of "Quick Access"  write value to HKEY_CURRENT_USER at SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced value LaunchTo Data 1, decimal.  Its also a REG_DWORD.