Windows 10? - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

Windows 10?

Windows 10?

This question is answered

So I just spoke with a DA tech who said that it Windows 10 support won't be available til end of year. Has anybody tried testing DA on 10 yet? If so, did you have any issues that you had to work around?

Verified Answer
  • We are testing using the Technical Preview. With the latest build, it does seem to work correctly. We did have to install .NET 3.5 from the install media:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

/Source should point to your Windows 10 install media.

• Hello, 

This is Diana from Dell Software Support.  Please see our latest KB article, 156874 Support for Windows 10 Client:  https://support.software.dell.com/kb/156874

Quest-Diana V
    Social Media Support
    #WeAreQuest 

All Replies
  • I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise and  DA worked until build 10159.     DA tries to run and install services but i get the following in the SLTrace file.    I haven't tried anything workarounds as of yet.  This was just the initial run.

09:39:39 Testing for successful agent deployment 09:39:39 C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Desktop Authority\client files\9.20.1239\slagent.exe 09:39:39 Agent not found! 09:39:39 slBoost did not deploy client files 09:39:39 Testing for Agent deployment via GPO 09:39:39 DAClientSvc.exe does not exist in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Desktop Authority\client files\9.20.1239\DAClientSvc.exe, skipping version check 09:39:39 slAgent.exe not found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Desktop Authority\client files\9.20.1239\slagent.exe, performing deployment checks 09:39:39 Check for GPO deployment 09:39:39 DAGPO Value not present and gpupdate has been previously executed, ending execution

• We are testing using the Technical Preview. With the latest build, it does seem to work correctly. We did have to install .NET 3.5 from the install media:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

/Source should point to your Windows 10 install media.

• .NET 3.5 fixed it for us. I completely forgot about client pre-reqs.

Thanks!

• When you update sources, where is the path to the latest build if you installed it via windows update on the fast track?

I'm on build 10162 and the last ISO image i have is a very old one so I think thats why that DISM command gave me an error 0x800f0922

• Microsoft just released an ISO of 10162 this afternoon on their Windows Technical Preview website.  So this build will be going on the standard slow spin release and is no longer considered a "fast track" (opt-in) release.  This is great news as we are getting closer to release!

However I cannot for the life of me get .net framework to install.  I know this is not a DA issue but more of a Windows 10 issue.  Just in case anyone else has the same issue, I also posted over at this Microsoft Thread.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-instal-net-framework-35-on-windows-10/450b3ba6-4d19-45ae-840e-78519f36d7a4?page=3&tm=1435952242572#LastReply

Its a shame Dell Desktop authority plans on waiting until the end of the year for support.  Hopefully once I figure out this .net issue I can get it working.  I don't care if its detected as Windows 8... They are similar enough where it shouldn't matter.

• A clean install of the latest build worked for me.  I was able to install the .net 3.5 framework now.

DA runs and detects the machine as Windows 8 Professional Edition 6.3.10162 (64 bit).

I'm on DA 9.1.0.564.

• Hello, 

This is Diana from Dell Software Support.  Please see our latest KB article, 156874 Support for Windows 10 Client:  https://support.software.dell.com/kb/156874

Quest-Diana V
    Social Media Support
    #WeAreQuest 

• So far, the only real issue we're having is with Expert Assist. It doesn't seem to work on Win10. And that's using IE (since Chrome is blocking Java now and Firefox is a hassle). 

Has anybody else experienced this as well? or has anybody been able to remote onto a Win10 PC with EA?

• I have maybe 5 or 6 Windows 10 machines deployed now.  They are all laptops at this time because we are utilizing Bitlocker in Windows 10 Pro.  Windows 7 Pro did not include Bitlocker, so the upgrade is a no brainier for us.  We will eventually upgrade our laptop fleet to Windows 10 Pro to take advantage of Bitlocker drive encryption.  We have about 40 laptops in the company.

Having Windows 10 detected as Windows 8 does not seem to be a problem for us.  They are both kind of the same animal anyway.  If there is something I want to customize out in the field, its likely I would apply it to both Windows 8 and 10 anyway.  The only OS I would differentiate would be XP, but we got rid of our XP machines.  I did differentiate between Windows 7 and 8, but only to install and configure Classic Shell on Windows 8/8.1 machines so end users would have a traditional start menu and not the metro garbage.

I'm sure there's other ways you can detect between Windows 8 and 10.  I bet there's a registry key out there somewhere that if you really needed to validate and run something different on 10, you could check the registry key or more than likely a file version.  I bet the easiest way is to check the version of C:\Windows\Explorer.exe.  I don't have a Windows 10 version in front of me right now, but on 7 explorer.exe is 6.1.7601.17567 and on 8.1 pro its 6.3.9600.17667.  I bet on a base model of Windows 10 you just check if explorer.exe is greater than or equal to whatever version explorer.exe ships.  You would want to include "Greater than" just in case Windows updates increment the version.

One thing I've seen from time to time is a thin minimized window in the lower corner of the screen with just an X on it that says "EmbargoEvents".  I don't think it always comes up, but it comes up sometimes on Windows 8 and 10 machines.  Never seen it on Windows 7 machines.  I can just hit the X and it closes.

• So I'm trying to take my own advice here, and while logically its sound... I can't get this to work.

Issue in Windows 10 is with HD resolution laptops, the only real way to read the screen is to run at 125% dpi.  But Windows 10 scales fonts differently in applications that are not dynamic font aware (everything that uses mmc like devmgmt.msc for example).  There are many threads out there on windows 10 blurry fonts.

The fix is to edit three items in the registry:

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\DpiScalingVer to 00001018 reg_dword decimal

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Win8DpiScaling to 00000001 reg_dword decimal

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\LogPixels to 00000078 to reg_dword decimal

To make this only apply to Windows 10, I am trying the following validation logic:

IF File Version Equals c:\Windows\explorer.exe>=10.0.10240.16431  (Logon, Logoff, Refresh).

I keep running slogic.bat and refreshing sltrace.htm file and this element (#54 in my environment) is not appearing in the trace.  I also played around with the explorer.exe file version, checking for just 10.0.10240 (didn't work), just 10.0 (didn't work), and just >= 10 (again didn't work).

I think I will try logging off and on becuase "Desktop" does not seem to be a validation standard rule in DA registry elements.

• It doesn't appear that File Version checks work at all with DA in Windows 10.  I tried file versining on various windows 10 files like cmd.exe, write.exe, notepad.exe, etc...  If you try to check the file version to be equal or greater to 10, or 10.0, or 10.0.10240, or 10.0.10240.16384 (the actual version listed in details tab of the file), your triggered event will NEVER run.

The workaround I found is to check two keys in the registry.

Validation Logic Rules

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion CurrentVersion >= 6.3    

AND

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion CurrentBuild >= 10240

I hope this workaround will help people until Dell updates the software to include a Windows 10 checkbox under Standard Rules.

NOTE:  I check both keys because CurrentVersion is 6.3 on my Windows 10 machine in the registry, but 6.3 is also what Windows 8.1 returns I believe.  So I also check the build number to be equal or greater than 10240.  This is the RTM build, but don't forget to include greater than as well because there is a new build 10525 available to insiders out and who knows how many future builds there will be.

• I know this topic is a couple of months old, but can Dell chime in again to give a better timeline for Windows 10 support?

• Hello.  This is Diana from Dell Software Support.  Please see our KB article, 156874 Support for Windows 10 Client:  https://support.software.dell.com/kb/156874  It was recently updated, stating that the next release of Desktop Authority is expected around the end of January.

Quest-Diana V
    Social Media Support
    #WeAreQuest 

• Hopefully this fixes our two outstanding issues at this time.

Default printers in Windows 10 clients currently reset to no default printer at every login.  Must be some kind of confusion with the way our printer elements work.

A strange "Embargo Events" minimized line in the lower left of the screen.  Users just click the X out of it for now.

• Has anybody had any other troubles with Win10? We just started testing in our environment and one of my teammates told me that ExpertAssist doesn't seem to work with Win10. Can anybody confirm?