Can I change the DA element run order so IE compatibility settings apply BEFORE launching IE? - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

Can I change the DA element run order so IE compatibility settings apply BEFORE launching IE?

Can I change the DA element run order so IE compatibility settings apply BEFORE launching IE?

This question has suggested answer(s)

If a user signs onto a PC they were never on before, the profile is built by Windows.  In DA under application launcher we have an element to autorun IE to our intranet site which is our basic launch pad for our employees to work from.

The issue is that there is also a registry element setting #40 called IE10+ Compatibility mode import.  This rights a REG_BINARY string to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\ClearableListData

We get the string from my PC by me adding all the internal and external sites to my IE 11 compatibility mode, then exporting that path to a reg file and importing it here.

The issue is that IE opens before this happens due to our Application launcher element #20.  So IE is open and THEN further down in the login process the compatibly list is imported, but IE does not "read" this.  The user tries to go to a loan origination system and it says the browser is too old (because compatibility mode is not on and they don't know how to properly check the browser version).  So the fix is the user must close all IE windows and re-open it.  Needless to say this causes a call every time this happens.

How can we change the order so that registry elements are processed before application launcher events?

All Replies
  • Hi kjstech,

I am guessing that what you are seeing has more to do with the initial First Run setup that is done by IE when a new user logs on to the machine just prior to the full desktop being presented.  It is my understanding that the First Run can be disabled through a group policy setting. 

The answer to your specific question is that you cannot change the order of the object processing.  The application launcher elements will always process before the registry setting elements.  However, you can change the event on the application launcher element from Logon to Desktop.  That will prevent IE from launching during the script and it will only load after the desktop shell loads (which is after the logon script has completed).

Hope this helps.

• This did not work.  Changed autostart IE application launcher element to "Desktop" and the compatibility sites that are in the registry elements do not apply on the first launch.

We pushed IE10 out via WSUS and were flooded with calls with sites not working /freezing/etc...  The fix was to close IE and rerun \\domain.com\netlogon\slogic.bat Then when we open IE10 and hit ALT to bring up the toolbar and go to compatibility mode settings, only then were the sites loaded.

So how can we fix this?  Do we have to not autostart IE anymore?  That will be a cultural change here so I'd rather not go that route, but we need this to work as people move around to different machines.

• Hi kjstech, this is Christopher from Dell Support

As Mac stated in his post you cannot change the order in which the objects are processed and the Application Launcher object does process before the Registry object. However the Application Launcher object is able to make registry changes using regedit.exe.

How to use REGEDIT.exe with the Application Launcher object to modify the registry

An object’s elements follow an execution order and process starting with the first element to last. So, if you create a new Application Launcher 'regedit.exe' element that is listed before the 'IE Launching' element it may resolve your issue. Keep in mind that for these elements to process in order, one after another, the “Launch asynchronously” option should remain unchecked. And as always, it’s best to test this on one machine to make sure you get the desired results before pushing it out to all users.

• I thought of this too and tried it, but it did not work.  I checked the sltrace.htm file and it did run.

I placed it as item number 1 in application launcher defined in this manor:

File name: regedit.exe
    Arguments: /s \\domain.com\netlogon\scripts\iecompat.reg

Nothing is checked.
    Validation Logic: IF File Version Equals C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe>=10

Application launcher event #69 is Autostart IE which just launches iexplore.exe with the argument filled out to our intranet website url.

Watching sltrace.htm on a new profile shows both elements run (1 and 69) and neither are "asynchronously" .  But when I go into the registry to that path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\ClearableListData contains nothing despite the reg file showing a binary key called "UserFilter" with a long hex string.

If I run slogic.bat again OR sign off and on again, then and only then will this key appear.  But if I sign in as an admin, delete the user profile than logout and log back in with the user to create a new profile, it does not apply despite sltrace.htm saying it ran.

So for now we put it in Group Policy under this buried path: 

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Compatibility View > “Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites”

The only drawback to that is in IE when you go to compatibility view, none of the sites appear there.  And if you try to run rsop.msc or gpresult /h as the user, you do not get "computer" settings.  So the only verifications we have is to run the group policy modeling wizard in gpmc.msc or just try to go to a site we know that has issues and try to see if it works.  So I'd like the registry version to work, but if not then we will just maintain it via Group Policy.

By the way, what version of DA are you running?  I see your screen shot looks like the Windows 8 flat style.  We are on 9.1.0.564 by the way.