chksltrace.hta under Windows 8.1 - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

chksltrace.hta under Windows 8.1

chksltrace.hta under Windows 8.1

This question is answered

I haven't been on this forum so here goes.

On the old forum, Scriptlogic's that is, there was a user that had upload a small script in the form of an MSHTA command that you could use to go through all of the sltrace files created at each logon/logoff per user.

It still works, but not under Windows 8.1. I am configuring myself a new computer at work that is replacing my old Windows 7 box and am wondering if anyone here has been using this CHKSLTRACE.HTA file, especially under Windows 8?

I could upload the file somewhere if anyone wants to try it out. Right now, it is stoping at line 139 which is the command "ListView1.font"... I can tell it to execute anyway but does not show me the data in this "view" that I need shown.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • I figure I should post the solution, since I found it myself.

To resolve the problem Under Windows 8.1, I installed Office Web Components. This also works for Windows 7.

Cheers

• I figured I should write the solution since I found it myself.

I had to install Office Web Components. This solves my errors Under Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

All Replies
  • I have a Windows 8.1 laptop and I just checked, ChkSLTrace.hta works fine.

It says version 3.6 in the upper right corner of mine.

• Mine is also v3.6

Very odd. Can you check your line 139, character 5?

I wonder if I am missing a VB software on my new 8.1 computer..

• I also have version 4.5.0 which does not give me an error except it does not show any results in the left window. The other version, 3.6 also shows the same little icon in the Window :/

• Well, I installed a virtual Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 and both have the same problem! They get stuck at line 139 "ListView...."

So, I must be missing a software since on my old Windows 7 PC, it runs chksltrace.hta without a problem! Must be VB or something else.

• I feel like I'm talking to myself... oh well...

I fixed the issue with Windows 7! I had to register MSCOMCTL.OCX but this does not seem to work with Windows 8.1

The file does register in 8.1 but still get the same error. "Object doesn't support this property or method" line 139 "ListView1.font"

I'll dig a bit deeper tomorrow!

• Hi CISSSO,

I recall seeing that application being posted on the old ScriptLogic forum years ago but I don’t recall the customer who posted it. That application was not written by our developers, nor have we ever used or supported it. However, if you can post a copy of the file, I will be happy to test it in order to see if I can get it to function properly on Windows 8. Instructions on how to use it would also be helpful.

• ChkSLTrace_3.6.txt

Here is the file. You must rename it to .hta

You will need to input your information at line #52, 53 and 54.

And I understand that you, Dell, don't support this but was hoping to find someone here that does use it and that may have insight.

Thanks!

• I don't know what to tell you.  Mine works.  It just works.  Here's a screen shot (just blurred names out to protect our information).  You can see its windows 8.1 based on the window border, and I can assure you it's a fully updated Windows 8.1 pro laptop with bitlocker and all.  My desktop is Win 7 pro.  Both 64-bit.  Both have all the extra stuff we need like the various .net frameworks, visual c++, some form of oracle java, etc...  Both are on IE 11, but they do also have firefox and chrome as well - not that it would matter as .hta file opens with iexplore.

Line 139 is blank here,  Here's whats above and below it:

Line 138:  Logoff.Checked = False

Line 139:

Line 140:  ListView1.font = "arial"

This tool is extremely valuable to us.  A user calls with an issue and we just enter their userid in there to see what computer they are at.  From there we know who to remote control.  Or for auditing or logging purposes we can see who's signed on where and what times.  Its incredibly useful for troubleshooting as we have instant access to pull up the trace file to see what did or didn't process.  Dell should find the guy who wrote this, pay him a good amount and buy it from him, update it and include it in future versions.  Its one of the most useful tools that we use daily.

• I totally agree with you concerning how this small script is valuable to us too! I use this very often every day and makes my work more efficient and users happy because of it! :p

I guess you have a extra line because mine line 139 is your line 140. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I use French Windows OS (obligated I might add), but doubt that this is the reason. My Windows 8.1 is Enterprise version in 64bit (French). I remember on the old forum someone else had the same problem and the fix was mentioned there...but all that info is gone now :/

Wish Dell could develop something similar, and free of course!

Cheers

• Hello, this is Diana from Dell Software. You suggestions are very important to us. Please log your request at http://kace.uservoice.com/forums/211765-desktop-authority, which can also be accessed via the Desktop Authority Help menu “Feature Suggestion” option.

Quest-Diana V
    Social Media Support
    #WeAreQuest 

• I figure I should post the solution, since I found it myself.

To resolve the problem Under Windows 8.1, I installed Office Web Components. This also works for Windows 7.

Cheers

• I figured I should write the solution since I found it myself.

I had to install Office Web Components. This solves my errors Under Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

• I just want to chime in and say we use this tool extensively as well. I still have many versions of it going back to 2010!

I want to say that the person who posted it was named "PACAIS" or something like that - memory isn't what it used to be.

Anyway, one of my co-workers has been having trouble with running it on Win8, so I'm gonna suggest this for him.