Error removing printer: 5 Access is denied. - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

Error removing printer: 5 Access is denied.

Error removing printer: 5 Access is denied.

This question is answered

Hello,

We moved shared network printers from one server to another at a branch office.  In DA I have all the elements created to establish the new printers based on the PC's OU to the new print server and new printer names.  For the old printer elements I changed the add to remove.

Had a call (and its early yet so there may be more calls) with this error at login:

Error removing printer: 5  Access is denied.

What caused this? Whats the fix?
Verified Answer
  • Hi kjstech,

The user should be able to able to add or remove a printer in their own security context and that is what the script automates.  I had a similar case recently and we tried to remove the printer manually but could not do so because the Printer and Faxes applet would not load.  If we stopped the Print Spooler service, then the applet would load but then the printers aren’t displayed if the spooler service is stopped.  We logged on locally as an administrator and deleted the files and subfolders in the C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers\x64 directory and then rebooted the machine.  We were then able to logon as the user and load the printers applet and then right click to remove the printer.  We are currently operating under the assumption that the drivers they installed for a HP DesignJet printer 2 or 3 days previous to the incident is what precipitated the issue.  Since the drivers were not functioning properly, that is why they wanted to automate the removal of the printer and discovered the access denied when attempting to do so.

All Replies
  • Hi kjstech,

The user should be able to able to add or remove a printer in their own security context and that is what the script automates.  I had a similar case recently and we tried to remove the printer manually but could not do so because the Printer and Faxes applet would not load.  If we stopped the Print Spooler service, then the applet would load but then the printers aren’t displayed if the spooler service is stopped.  We logged on locally as an administrator and deleted the files and subfolders in the C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers\x64 directory and then rebooted the machine.  We were then able to logon as the user and load the printers applet and then right click to remove the printer.  We are currently operating under the assumption that the drivers they installed for a HP DesignJet printer 2 or 3 days previous to the incident is what precipitated the issue.  Since the drivers were not functioning properly, that is why they wanted to automate the removal of the printer and discovered the access denied when attempting to do so.