File validation logic not working as expected to remove bing bar - Desktop Authority Management Suite (DAMS) - Desktop Authority - Dell Community

File validation logic not working as expected to remove bing bar

File validation logic not working as expected to remove bing bar

This question has suggested answer(s)

I created an application launcher event that says If File Exists Equals "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\BingBar" and the file name to run is %windir%\system32\MsiExec.exe and the arguments are /X {3365E735-48A6-4194-9988-CE59AC5AE503} /qn with run as administrator and hide any screen output checked.

Now I personally do not have the bing bar installed but to check if I am hitting on this element, I created a Microsoft folder and then in there a BingBar folder under C:\Program Files (x86).  I run \\domain\netlogo\slogic.bat and then I check the %temp%\Desktop Authority\sltrace.htm file and down in Application Launcher the element ID (69 of 69) does not get written to the log (The last element that runs is 67 of 69).  So I know the validation logic is not hitting.

Timing is Logon, Refresh and OS is XP, Vista, 7, 8, and validation logic rules is if file exists.  Now for some reason you guys don't have an "If folder exists" option which would be perfect for this.  So I'm not sure if I can ever get this to run.  I tried adding a \ at the end of the path, then I also tried adding \* at the end of the path and putting in a new text document in the folder.  Still doesn't validate.  Not sure what to do here.

Maybe you have a better way to silently uninstall the bing toolbar but only run if its detected.

All Replies
  • Hi kjstech,

You can use the “File Exists” Validation Logic to validate using only a folder.

I have tested with ....\FolderName, ...\FolderName\, and ...\FolderName\* and was able to get all three variations to work.

I have installed the Bing Bar on my test machine and was able to silently uninstall it using the Application Launcher object. Here are the settings I used to accomplish this:

File name including path:

msiexec.exe

Arguments:

/x "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\BingBar\Installers\BingBar7.3.126.0\BingBar.msi" /qn

You will need to verify the existence of the BingBar7.3.126.0 folder as this may be a different version than what is currently in your environment.