Dell Data Protection

Match your backup to your business

Error Message: 3208 - can't read phys

Error Message: 3208 - can't read phys

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hello

Since some days we get the error "Error Message: 3208 - can't read phys:/vmfs/volumes/...id.../VM/VM-flat.vmdk" when backing up a VM. Other VM in the same job and on the same host are backed up without errors. The job runs for 11 minutes and reads data until the error occurs.

We have updated vRanger and VMware Tools to the newest versions.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

All Replies
  • What buld and version of ESX or ESXi is the VM on ?

Does the backup have CBT or Change Block Tracking enabled?

How larger are the vmdk(s) on this VM and how much used space vs free space for each vmdk for this VM?

• What buld and version of ESX or ESXi is the VM on ?

=> ESX 4, Build 261974

• Does the backup have CBT or Change Block Tracking enabled?

=> CBT is enabled, ABM enabled, guest quiescing disabled

• How larger are the vmdk(s) on this VM and how much used space vs free space for each vmdk for this VM?

=> The VM has 3 disks: 25GB, 15GB and 300GB. The first disk is 25GB, and the backup fails at the first disk (but then tries the other disks and fails too). Free space on the volume currently is 418GB.

• Please try this exclude this VM from your other main job.

Next right click on this VM in the vRanger My Inventory and chose "disable change tracking"

Setup a job and see if it will complete for validation purposes

• Thank you for your help!

I have tried this now. With change tracking disabled I get the same error.

• Go to your vSphere Client and take a snapshot of the VM, make sure to not select memory snapshot then after the snapshot completes go into snapshot manager and delete the snapshot. After that browse to the lun\ data store where this VMs directory is located and in the directory delete the .ctk file(s). Next go back into vRanger and re run the sinlge on demand job for this VM. If it fails with the same error mesage I would please request that you contact Quest Support and open a support case to further diagnose this issue.

• We have vRanger 5.0.0.19238 installed. Is this the newest version available? I'm not sure if I've overlooked an update but I can't find updates for vRanger on quest.com - Downloads - Upgrades, Patches and would like to make sure that I test with the newest version before I contact support. Thank you!

• You are on the most current GA which is 5.0.0.19238

• I have rebooted the ESX yesterday and started the backup over night. This morning it completed successfully.

If this happens again I will contact support. Thank you very much for your help!