C1100 (CS24-TY) Fan Issue

Cloud

Cloud
Gain valuable insight from experts and peers to help you accelerate cloud deployment and reduce the complexity of cloud management - Hadoop, Crowbar, Boomi, Enstratius, Cloud Manager, and more.

C1100 (CS24-TY) Fan Issue

This question is answered

Hello,

I've recently acquired a CS24-TY machine and it has been having fan issues a few months after it was installed.  The device will spin all system fans to 10,000RPM+ and then rev back down to ~1000RPM, it continues the process forever. This happens right when the system is powered-on and will intermittently happen once the system has been running.

I have updated the BIOS and BMC firmware to the latest offered on Dell's site with no issues.  This has not fixed the problem.  I suspect that it is a hardware problem, any clues to what could be replaced? I hate to purchase a fan assembly as they are quite pricey.

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • The motherboard with the working core has been updated to the newest bios and was running fine for almost 2 days until 3:00AM this morning it has started with the same issue. Replacing the fan tray next week and if it doesn't fix it it's going in the trash.

All Replies
  • Hey Drewvon,  

Thanks for joining our community!   I reached out to some cloud contacts we have and they said (considering you've already gone down the firmware route) it sounds like a replacement is required.   You'll need to go to the company that you purchased this system from for any support or warranty issues.

• Jeffrey,

I very much appreciate the response--thank you.

Did they happen to mention what a suspected failed part could be? The warranty has expired on the device through the company and they are refusing to replace it--understood I guess... There are parts readily available at a local manufacturer but I'd prefer not to go on a buying frenzy if only one needs to be replaced.  My guess would either be a power supply, fan assembly or mainboard? Any insight?

Thanks!

• Drewvon -- Check your community inbox.

• Jeff,

I am having the exact same issue, would you mind posting on here what should be replaced? Thanks!

Matt

• There is no guarantee or support for this -- use this information/ pursue at your own risk.  What you might need is a C1100 Cooling Fan Assembly, like this one:

www.ebay.de/.../400436130278

Thanks,

Jeff.

• Matt, I have ordered a motherboard online instead of the fan replacement, found one for $50 US. I will report back on results in 3-4 days once I receive it.

I steered from the fan assembly because after taking it apart I just don't see anything that could cause the issue, they are basically 5-6 dumb fans attached to a piece of metal--could be completely wrong... If there are sensors on these fan assemblies, then I would be wrong :). There is also another fan that's for the PCIe cooling that also spins just as fast and if I remember correctly this is not attached to the assembly--the reason for purchasing the MB instead....

• Sounds like a decent plan, I look forward to hearing your results.. provided I can hear again after dealing with this run-away train server :)

• Any follow-up on this? Mine has reverted to fan-tasticly loud fan operation this morning...Thanks!

• The eBay shipper took his sweet time and its getting delivered in a few hours. I will absolutely update the post tonight after its been replacee. And tested.

Cheers.

• Sweet! Thanks man. How did you get one for so cheap? I haven't been able to find anything close to $50..

• eBay best offer :D A guy has them listed for $100, I offered him $50 and he accepted. It's old gear, it's outrageous to charge $100, try 'em at what your comfortable paying--if it was any more I was going to sell the RAM and throw the box in the trash.

• Well, where to start, the system has been running quite for about an hour with no issue--hooray!

Now the bad news, the MB has a faulty CPU1 socket and will refuse to post when CPU1 is installed.  Take it out and it boots no problem. The box came damaged and porrly packaged with multiple bent CPU pins inside.

In the process or RMA'ing the device now, the seller has agreed to cross-ship a new board. I'll let it run over the weekend and report back.

• The motherboard with the working core has been updated to the newest bios and was running fine for almost 2 days until 3:00AM this morning it has started with the same issue. Replacing the fan tray next week and if it doesn't fix it it's going in the trash.

• Damn. I thought you had it knocked. Oh well, keen to hear what happens with the fan assembly. Good Luck!

Matt

• I have a theory. I'm wondering if it's the CPUs...hear me out. I have the same problem and replaced the fan assembly. No dice, still having fan issues. You replaced the motherboard, and it stopped having issues, however you only had one cpu installed. Then you replaced the motherboard again, got both CPUs in, whamo..fan problem returns. I'm wondering if the heat sensors on the cpu are sending bogus signals tripping the fan into crazy mode? I think I'm going to try removing a CPU and running half power for a while, see if the fan goes nuts. Thoughts?