C6100 Fan Firmware Update Issues - Fans Running at Full Speed - Cloud - Forum - Cloud - Dell Community

C6100 Fan Firmware Update Issues - Fans Running at Full Speed

Cloud

Cloud
These community pages contain technical resources for select Dell EMC cloud solutions.

C6100 Fan Firmware Update Issues - Fans Running at Full Speed

This question is not answered

Hello All!

I purchased a lightly used C6100 and I am running ESXi 5.1 off a USB key with no issues. The server is running its fans at full speed and sounds like a jet plane taking off. I tried updating the fan firmware driver from the support page and firmware update failed. I loaded Windows on one of the blades and tried the fan firmware from within Windows and receive the following error:

Recd ACK Status Command Failed Response [0]=0X27

I updated the Bios and BMC firmware successfully but the fan firmware fails to upgrade. 

Also, I am trying to find the iDrac firmware update which doesnt appear to be on the download page either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Jonathan

---------------------------------

All Replies
  • Hi Jonathan,

first the C6100 has no iDRAC only a BMC.

I would suggest you to update the FCB Firmware via DOS boot (you can use free DOS and boot via virtual consol). Sometimes the Windows and Linux updates get a Timeout during compilation.

ftp.dell.com/.../FCB120V2.exe

Best regards

Flo

• Ok thanks! I will give this a shot.

• So I tried the upgrade via the Dos disk and this is what I get now on the screen. Seems the upgrade wont proceed. Any idea what else to try?

• Ok in this case Dell TechSupport has to replace the FCB. You can try an older Version and than the newer one but this failes mostly also to 50%.

I would replace the FCB.

• Thanks Florian. Is the FCB a separate card on this system? I haven't opened it to find it yet as the system is remote from me right now.

• Hi, the FCB is a separate card located behind the Power Control Boards/Power Supplies.