Dell C6100 BIOS update - Cloud - Forum - Cloud - Dell Community

Dell C6100 BIOS update

Cloud

Cloud
These community pages contain technical resources for select Dell EMC cloud solutions.

Dell C6100 BIOS update

This question has been answered by DELL-Daniel My

Hello, I bought a used C6100, and as I feared its not a C6100, rather one of those custom ones.

Is there a way to make sure it is not a C6100? I tried the service tag and it was not found.

I would like to update the BIOS and BMC firmware, one of the nodes has a bios from 09 (eeek)

Any feedback would be great

(They updated the bios on other nodes, so they got the bios from somewhere, but I fear its a contract between the original company and dell, and dell will not help me)

Thank you

Verified Answer
  • Hello astroproxy

Yes, it is a DCS system. I would not recommend updating the BIOS or any firmware on the device. I would suggest using the system as-is. Unfortunately I don't have access to any information on the DCS systems. They were supported by specialty groups and all information on them were kept within those small teams of people.

There is no support path within Dell. The only way you will be able to get information or support on a DCS is through the reseller.

The easiest way to tell if you have a DCS system is to input your service tag at dell.com/support. If the service tag is not found then it is likely a DCS system. This is not 100% accurate, but it is the simplest method for checking.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
    Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

All Replies
  • Dell won't and can't help you.  There is nobody customer-facing that has any knowledge, documentation, utilities, or files for these custom machines.  It is entirely possible that they were not developed or engineered by Dell at all, but simply assembled by Dell, meaning that the BIOS updates would come from whoever the manufacturer of the board is (SuperMicro?), or even from a third party software/hardware vendor contracted to supply/tweak the BIOS to certain specs.  I know years ago Dell was contracted to assemble servers using parts hand-picked by the company that contracted with them - it was simply a matter of logistics and time/cost for them to contract it out rather than purchase prebuilt or build in-house servers.  I believe there has been a recent thread about forcing BIOS/BMC updates on these machines (with mixed results) if you search a bit for it.

• Thanks, weird though its the same specs, even has a service tag. Is there a way to confirm that this is not a normal c6100?

The bios calls it a xs23-ty3 which is a C6100, do you think I should get my money back?

• If you have to have a C6100 and all that comes with it (Dell support - drivers, updates, tech support, parts, etc.), then get your money back.  If you just need a cheap computing device, it might do the job.  Frankly, I don't know enough about the C-servers to tell you how to tell for sure.  If it has a Service Tag, a Dell guy can confirm it for you based on that ... I believe that was in the same thread as referenced above.  For some, these systems seem to be more headache than they are worth, but that is a matter of opinion, I suppose.  You can click on the name of the Dell guy in the thread, add as friend, then send him a private message with the Service Tag to confirm.

en.community.dell.com/.../20357843.aspx

• Already sent him a message thanks ;). For $700 and 96 gb of ram I guess I can not complain. It gets the job done even if its outdated.

Will set to solved in a few days if no one else has any input

• Hello astroproxy

Yes, it is a DCS system. I would not recommend updating the BIOS or any firmware on the device. I would suggest using the system as-is. Unfortunately I don't have access to any information on the DCS systems. They were supported by specialty groups and all information on them were kept within those small teams of people.

There is no support path within Dell. The only way you will be able to get information or support on a DCS is through the reseller.

The easiest way to tell if you have a DCS system is to input your service tag at dell.com/support. If the service tag is not found then it is likely a DCS system. This is not 100% accurate, but it is the simplest method for checking.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
    Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

• Thank You