C6100 Stuck in Maintenance mode - No video on console - Suspected bad BIOS flash. - Cloud - Forum - Cloud - Dell Community

C6100 Stuck in Maintenance mode - No video on console - Suspected bad BIOS flash.

Cloud

Cloud
These community pages contain technical resources for select Dell EMC cloud solutions.

C6100 Stuck in Maintenance mode - No video on console - Suspected bad BIOS flash.

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have a C6100 which has been returned from a client who wanted the firmware updated.  They tried themselves and failed.

3 nodes have updated fine but the 4th is presenting issues.

Syntoms;

• There is no video from the VGA port.
  • The BMC is accessible remotely but it is stuck in maintenance more (and not giving an option to upload any firmware).
  • The light cluster below the PCI-e x16 slot (presumably diagnostic leds) change to a pattern on boot and stay there.  The pattern is as below where 'X' is a lit led, '-' equals unlit led and viewed with the X8 mez slot on the left and the PCIe X16 on the right.  The working boards go through many patterns and end up with all leds lit

X -
X X X
- X
X -
X X X
- X

Is there any documentation on the led cluster diag codes as I see nothing in the manual.

Returning to my supplier will be very expensive so is not the preferred option.

Thanks

All Replies
  • Hello rimblock

RimBlock
    Is there any documentation on the led cluster diag codes as I see nothing in the manual.

I could not find any information on those LEDs. I suspect they are part of the PCIe card. The picture I have of the rear of the system isn't the greatest but I could not see any LEDs under the PCIe slot.

RimBlock
    The BMC is accessible remotely but it is stuck in maintenance more (and not giving an option to upload any firmware).

It sounds like it is stuck in a firmware update. I would recommend draining flea power by disconnecting the node from the chassis for about 30-60 seconds. If that does not bring it out of maintenance mode then clear the NVRAM via jumper page 140. If the issue still persists then try the node in another slot. If that does not change anything then you will need to start removing unnecessary components like the PCIe card and extra memory(minimum to POST). If there is still no change then the system board may need to be replaced because of a failed update.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
    Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

• Hi Daniel,

All 4 nodes have the led cluster and none of them have PCIe cards installed.  It is just below the bottom right motherboard screw securing the motherboard to the sled.  It is not documented in the manual for some reason but it is there.

I have tried setting bother the system and CMOS reset jumpers to no effect.  I have removed the battery and had the sled removed from the chassis for a couple of hours to no effect.

I have tried another slot and removing all the ram from the system both to no effect.

It would be good to find out what the led code means so I can confirm the cause of the error.  Are you able to contact someone at the Data Center Solutions group and get the required information.

Thanks

• RimBlock
    It would be good to find out what the led code means so I can confirm the cause of the error.  Are you able to contact someone at the Data Center Solutions group and get the required information.

Could you send me a private message with the service tag. I would like to confirm the system configuration and verify that this is indeed a C6100 and not a DCS server.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
    Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

• I will try to grab it tonight when I get home if I get a chance.

I did try looking it up on the Dell site but was told it was the wrong format.  The sticker looks original though.

This particular board has the MegaRac IPMI Bios on it so it is an older model node