DELL POWEREDGE C6100

Cloud

Cloud
Gain valuable insight from experts and peers to help you accelerate cloud deployment and reduce the complexity of cloud management - Hadoop, Crowbar, Boomi, Enstratius, Cloud Manager, and more.

DELL POWEREDGE C6100

This question is answered

Hi i ve bought a dell c6100 server with the 4 nodes .i have been able to install on the 4 nodes ESXi and it runs well on a USB key s ... but now i installed 4 SAS 15k drives and they don t seem to be reconised .. ? i see the green light open and it stays open but i don t see it on the bios and i can t seem to be able to make it usable its simply NOT THERE i ve checked all the options in the BIOS but there his nothing .i have 4 sas drives so i know its not the drives ... i m pretty sure i m not doing something basic ! how do i assign a drive to a node ? is it possible its a wire that was not plugged right ? 

i got the server today everything went well until i reallised i can t see the 4 HD please someone help !! 

Verified Answer
  • Hello lincolnmontreal

LINCOLNmontreal
    i don t see it on the bios and i can t seem to be able to make it usable its simply NOT THERE i ve checked all the options in the BIOS but there his nothing

The HDDs will not be seen by the system BIOS. You will need to boot into the controller BIOS(CTL R) to configure the drives.

LINCOLNmontreal
    how do i assign a drive to a node ?

You don't assign drives to nodes. The drive belongs to the node based on which slot you put it in. Certain HDD slots go to certain nodes, so node assignment will be determined by which slot you put the HDD in.

The backplane slot assignments are described in the hardware owner's manual starting on page 130:
    http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/poweredge-c6100

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi thank you very much for you VERY FAST reply !! thank you ... but for the Ctrl R i do that on computer startup the same place where i go to normal BIOS ?

• hi i m trying the CTRL R from bios but nothing happens ? how do i acces the controler bios ? where and when must i click the CTRL R ?

• LINCOLNmontreal
    where and when must i click the CTRL R ?

After the system completes POST it will start booting the PERC and other devices. You should see a message to press CTL R to enter the controller BIOS after the system completes POST and starts booting devices.

Daniel Mysinger

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Hi and thx again But its a mistake there are NO DRAC with dell c6100 its IPMI ??? and there is no CTRL R option at boot up ??? can you please help me ? where do i download ipmi if thats the software i need ? and how do i set the password ?

• there are no drac its IPMI ? are you sure its the CTRL R for this server ? i m trying and nothing ...

• Did the nodes come with RAID controllers? They could have been ordered with PERC, LSI, or no RAID controller. Also, which backplane did you have? How many slots are on it?

Daniel Mysinger

• here are my specs

DELL POWEREDGE C6100 XS23-TY3 4 x HOT PLUG NODES 8 x 2.26GHz ntel® Xeon® L5520 QC 96GB RAM 2U SERVER w/ RAILS"

MANUFACTURE- DELL POWEREDGE C6100 w/ 4 x HOT PLUG DUAL SOCKET NODE

TOTAL PROCESSORS- 8 x INTEL XEON QUAD CORE L5520 2.26GHZ (TOTAL 32 CORES x 2 THREADS PER CORE = 64 THREADS)

TOTAL MEMORY- 24 x 4GB DDR3 MEMORY MODULE (TOTAL 96GB RAM)

HARD DRIVE- 4 x 3.5" HARD DRIVE TRAYS

4 x Hot Plug Nodes Each with below Spec:

PROCESSORS- 2 x INTEL XEON QUAD CORE L5520 2.26GHz

MEMORY- 24GB DDR3 MEMORY( 6 x 4gb)

ETHERNET- DUAL GIGABIT ETHERNET NIC CONTROLLER

MANAGEMENT- IPMI 2.0 REMOTE MANAGEMENT PORT

POWER SUPPLY- SINGLE HOT PLUG POWER SUPPLY INCLUDED

RAILS - SLIDING RAIL KIT INCLUDED

and i installed 4 SAS 15 drives 3.5 inch 12 bays

• there are no RAID or LSI on my server  it didn t come with a controler i think

• i say i think bcs i got it today ... i ve already installed esxi on the 4 nodes but can t access the DRIVES !!!!  and its IPMI witch i don t know where to get the software OR HOW TO SETUP THE PASSWORD !!!

• It does not appear the server was purchased with a RAID controller. In that case it uses the chipset SATA controller. You will configure the HDDs through the system BIOS(F2) like you were trying initially. The reason the drives are not seen is because they are SAS. The chipset SATA controller does not support SAS, only SATA. If you install SATA drives they should show up in the system BIOS.

LINCOLNmontreal
    its IPMI witch i don t know where to get the software

IPMI is an industry standard. To my knowledge we don't have toolset available for download. I would suggest searching for IPMI tools. You can also just connect via a browser interface to the IP address. There is an easy to use web interface.

LINCOLNmontreal
    OR HOW TO SETUP THE PASSWORD !!!

The Baseboard Management Controller and system BIOS are integrated on the C6100. It uses the BIOS password under the security tab. You can configure the remote connection by going to Server>IPMI Configuration>Set LAN Configuration

Daniel Mysinger

• ok one last question ... so since i don t have a RAID controler no SAS can be connected ?? the seller told me i could plug inn SAS drives ... i ll contact the seller ... and i was able to connect to IPMI i m using the web based and the DEFAULT PASSWORD was root root took me a while to find that one ! thanx again

• LINCOLNmontreal
    so since i don t have a RAID controler no SAS can be connected ??

Correct, the integrated chipset controller is SATA only. SAS requires an add-on RAID controller.

Daniel Mysinger

• Would you mind sending me a private message with the server service tag. I would like to check the configuration and verify the information I provided is correct.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

• i bought it on ebay this week i don t have the service number but i did install an SSD drive and it works ... as you mentionned i will need to buy a raid sas controller ...  i was thinking of the lsi mezzanine one but can i use more the 3 HD of 3.5 inch on one node ?

• LINCOLNmontreal
    can i use more the 3 HD of 3.5 inch on one node ?

No, each node only has access to the 3 HDD slots assigned to it, so if you install an LSI RAID in node 1 then it will give node 1 access to the 3 slots assigned to it. You would need to do the same for the remaining nodes to be able to put SAS drives in their assigned slots.

One thing I am concerned with is that this might be a DCS server which is a custom cloud solution that we did not sell to the public. If that is the case then any information I provide may be inaccurate. Some resellers will market a DCS server as its cloud equivalent when selling them, but they are different. I have no information available to me on the DCS servers. If you find the service tag I can look it up and verify whether it is a C6100 or DCS.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

• its a real dell c6100 i bought it from a ebay seller he has hundreds its from dell leases something like that but i did email them for the service tag lets see if they provide it

• LINCOLNmontreal
    its a real dell c6100 i bought it from a ebay seller he has hundreds its from dell leases something like that but i did email them for the service tag lets see if they provide it

It should be on a sticker on the chassis. Look on the top of the chassis.

Daniel Mysinger

All Replies
  • Hello lincolnmontreal

LINCOLNmontreal
    i don t see it on the bios and i can t seem to be able to make it usable its simply NOT THERE i ve checked all the options in the BIOS but there his nothing

The HDDs will not be seen by the system BIOS. You will need to boot into the controller BIOS(CTL R) to configure the drives.

LINCOLNmontreal
    how do i assign a drive to a node ?

You don't assign drives to nodes. The drive belongs to the node based on which slot you put it in. Certain HDD slots go to certain nodes, so node assignment will be determined by which slot you put the HDD in.

The backplane slot assignments are described in the hardware owner's manual starting on page 130:
    http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/poweredge-c6100

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

• Hi thank you very much for you VERY FAST reply !! thank you ... but for the Ctrl R i do that on computer startup the same place where i go to normal BIOS ?

• hi i m trying the CTRL R from bios but nothing happens ? how do i acces the controler bios ? where and when must i click the CTRL R ?

• LINCOLNmontreal
    where and when must i click the CTRL R ?

After the system completes POST it will start booting the PERC and other devices. You should see a message to press CTL R to enter the controller BIOS after the system completes POST and starts booting devices.

Daniel Mysinger

• Hi and thx again But its a mistake there are NO DRAC with dell c6100 its IPMI ??? and there is no CTRL R option at boot up ??? can you please help me ? where do i download ipmi if thats the software i need ? and how do i set the password ?

• there are no drac its IPMI ? are you sure its the CTRL R for this server ? i m trying and nothing ...

• Did the nodes come with RAID controllers? They could have been ordered with PERC, LSI, or no RAID controller. Also, which backplane did you have? How many slots are on it?

Daniel Mysinger

• here are my specs

DELL POWEREDGE C6100 XS23-TY3 4 x HOT PLUG NODES 8 x 2.26GHz ntel® Xeon® L5520 QC 96GB RAM 2U SERVER w/ RAILS"

MANUFACTURE- DELL POWEREDGE C6100 w/ 4 x HOT PLUG DUAL SOCKET NODE

TOTAL PROCESSORS- 8 x INTEL XEON QUAD CORE L5520 2.26GHZ (TOTAL 32 CORES x 2 THREADS PER CORE = 64 THREADS)

TOTAL MEMORY- 24 x 4GB DDR3 MEMORY MODULE (TOTAL 96GB RAM)

HARD DRIVE- 4 x 3.5" HARD DRIVE TRAYS

4 x Hot Plug Nodes Each with below Spec:

PROCESSORS- 2 x INTEL XEON QUAD CORE L5520 2.26GHz

MEMORY- 24GB DDR3 MEMORY( 6 x 4gb)

ETHERNET- DUAL GIGABIT ETHERNET NIC CONTROLLER

MANAGEMENT- IPMI 2.0 REMOTE MANAGEMENT PORT

POWER SUPPLY- SINGLE HOT PLUG POWER SUPPLY INCLUDED

RAILS - SLIDING RAIL KIT INCLUDED

and i installed 4 SAS 15 drives 3.5 inch 12 bays

• there are no RAID or LSI on my server  it didn t come with a controler i think

• i say i think bcs i got it today ... i ve already installed esxi on the 4 nodes but can t access the DRIVES !!!!  and its IPMI witch i don t know where to get the software OR HOW TO SETUP THE PASSWORD !!!

• It does not appear the server was purchased with a RAID controller. In that case it uses the chipset SATA controller. You will configure the HDDs through the system BIOS(F2) like you were trying initially. The reason the drives are not seen is because they are SAS. The chipset SATA controller does not support SAS, only SATA. If you install SATA drives they should show up in the system BIOS.

LINCOLNmontreal
    its IPMI witch i don t know where to get the software

IPMI is an industry standard. To my knowledge we don't have toolset available for download. I would suggest searching for IPMI tools. You can also just connect via a browser interface to the IP address. There is an easy to use web interface.

LINCOLNmontreal
    OR HOW TO SETUP THE PASSWORD !!!

The Baseboard Management Controller and system BIOS are integrated on the C6100. It uses the BIOS password under the security tab. You can configure the remote connection by going to Server>IPMI Configuration>Set LAN Configuration

Daniel Mysinger

• ok one last question ... so since i don t have a RAID controler no SAS can be connected ?? the seller told me i could plug inn SAS drives ... i ll contact the seller ... and i was able to connect to IPMI i m using the web based and the DEFAULT PASSWORD was root root took me a while to find that one ! thanx again

• LINCOLNmontreal
    so since i don t have a RAID controler no SAS can be connected ??

Correct, the integrated chipset controller is SATA only. SAS requires an add-on RAID controller.

Daniel Mysinger

• Would you mind sending me a private message with the server service tag. I would like to check the configuration and verify the information I provided is correct.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

• i bought it on ebay this week i don t have the service number but i did install an SSD drive and it works ... as you mentionned i will need to buy a raid sas controller ...  i was thinking of the lsi mezzanine one but can i use more the 3 HD of 3.5 inch on one node ?