Help with IO Aggregators - Blades - Forum - Blades - Dell Community
Blades Forums

Help with IO Aggregators

Blades

Blades
Find insights from Dell experts on our Blade Solutions to help you deploy and manage your environment.

Help with IO Aggregators

This question is not answered

Hi All,

We are having issues understanding how to use Dell I/O Aggregator cos until now we were using Cisco Switches for all our networking needs and the documents were pertaining to it. Now i have been tasked to figure out something on which i have very limited knowledge Blades and Networks Embarrassed

I tried reading many manuals, guides, reference architecture etc...but still not sure if i have got the concepts clear...hence need your expert guidance.

Recently we purchased 4 new M1000e enclosures  with Dell M I/O Aggregator below is the short BOM for a Enclosure:

1. 4 M I/O Aggregators-A1,B1,A2,B2
  2. 2 Brocade 4424-C1,C2
  3. 8x 4 port 10GBASE-T Module (2 in each I/O Aggregator)

We have total 3 legged network:

• Production
  • Management
  • Backup

So according to my limited understanding of I/O Aggregators we are planning to do following with the I/O Aggregators:

1. I/O Aggregator A1 and A2 will have uplink from Port 49-56 to TOR-Production Switches SW1 and SW2
    1. Basically 4 Cat6e cables from A1 Port 49-56 will connect to SW1 and another set of 4 Cat6e cables from A2 Port 49-56 will connect to SW2
    2. All the Prod VLANS will be published on above ports
    3. As well as LACP will be configured
  2. Similar to above I/O Aggregator B1 and B2 will have uplink from IO Module 1 Port 49-50 and IO Module 2 Port 49-50 to TOR-Backup and Management Switches
    1. Basically for Management Network, 2 Cat6e from B1 IO Module 1 Port 49-50 will connect SW1(Mgmt) and another set of 2 Cat6e cables from B2 IO Module 1 Port 49-50 will connect to SW2(Mgmt)
    2. For Backup Network,2 Cat6e from B1 IO Module 2 Port 49-50 will connect SW1(Backup) and another set of 2 Cat6e cables from B2 IO Module 2 Port 49-50 will connect to SW2(Backup)
    3. All the Managment and Backup VLANS will be published on above ports
    4. As well as LACP will be configured

I have following queries about my above setup:

1. Is above correct?
  2. Do i need to worry about Internal port requirements?
  3. How many Network cards will i need per blade?
  4. Having 4 Cables connecting to Prod switch makes sense as well as will it be 40Gbps?
  5. Please while answering above please also consider i have FC Switch as well ?

Thanks in advance for all your help Smile

All Replies