IOM firmware on m6348 switch failed, fabric mismatch - Blades - Forum - Blades - Dell Community
Blades Forums

IOM firmware on m6348 switch failed, fabric mismatch

Blades

Blades
Find insights from Dell experts on our Blade Solutions to help you deploy and manage your environment.

IOM firmware on m6348 switch failed, fabric mismatch

This question has been answered by Norro21

On updating IOM firmware 2 out of 4 m6348 failed to update and now report fabric mismatch.  I have tried the update process again and reseating them.  They won't even power on in the enclosure to access the console, is there any way to recover them?

Verified Answer
  • The issue was caused because if you link the chassis cmcs via the internal switches, updating the firmware on the switches causes the cmc to power cycle the chassis and corrupt the update. (tbh this is a pitfall that shouldn't exist)

Avoid this by connecting the cmcs directly or via an external switch during firmware updates.

The firmware on the switches is corrupt, I think it should be possible to reflash the chips directly however this would require electronics expertise.  In our case the seller replaced the switches under warranty and we were able to update those successfully.

All Replies
  • were you able to resolve this issue.. can you share how??

• The issue was caused because if you link the chassis cmcs via the internal switches, updating the firmware on the switches causes the cmc to power cycle the chassis and corrupt the update. (tbh this is a pitfall that shouldn't exist)

Avoid this by connecting the cmcs directly or via an external switch during firmware updates.

The firmware on the switches is corrupt, I think it should be possible to reflash the chips directly however this would require electronics expertise.  In our case the seller replaced the switches under warranty and we were able to update those successfully.

• Thanks for sharing Norro21!