USB 3.0 upgrade - Benchmarking and Performance - Forum - Benchmarking and Performance - Dell Community

USB 3.0 upgrade

Benchmarking and Performance

Benchmarking and Performance
Discover how Dell servers score on industry standard benchmark tests such as SPEC, TPC, VMmark and others.

USB 3.0 upgrade

• Will a USB 3.o card installed into my Inspiron 546 give me the Super Speed needed for Ethernet 802.11AC. I want to purchase a new router and Nic but it's all pointless unless I can get the USB above 480mbps. I found one here in The Dell Store but it claims no system compatible and uses a PCIe interface. Answers much accepted thankds.

• Can't tell without knowing what system you have - for a desktop, you can upgrade with a PCI card -- for a notebook, you can upgrade only if you have an external ExpressCard socket (you cannot use the internal PCIe socket in a notebook for that purpose).

• Yeah, I'm really not thinking today burnt out on a problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 546 running win7 and think it will report the port as a 3.0. I just bought the USB 3.0 PCIe card internally to be able to utilize the new 802.11AV wireless networking standard. Have a 802.1AC Router and Wireless adapter ordered to hopefully tweak more speed out of my home network. Thanks for the answer. My only concern is that the OS will not see it as a 3.0 port as I've read in a few reviews that can happen. I think someone here had the problem too. I would think if the proper drivers were installed it should all work like butter. I hust noticed that my first post is fully descriptive with the system and what I'm looking for. so...............

• Hi, have you managed to installed the PCI-e card, and did the system recognize the port correctly? And did the new equipment provide the bandwidth you were expecting?