Dell PowerEdge VRTX support for VMware ESXi 6.5

TechCenter

TechCenter
DellTechCenter.com is a community for IT professionals that focuses on Data Center and End User Computing best practices. Here you can learn about and share knowledge about Dell products and solutions.

This blog post is written by Thiru Navukkarasu and Krishnaprasad K from Dell Hypervisor Engineering. 

Dell PowerEdge VRTX was not supported for VMware ESXi 6.5 branch of ESXi thus far. Dell announced support for VRTX from Dell customized version of ESXi 6.5 A04 revision onwards. However there was a late breaking issue identified on dell-shared-perc8 (Version: 06.806.89.00) and ESXi 6.5.x. To resolve this issue, install/upgrade to version 06.806.90.00 and above. This revised driver is part of Dell customized VMware ESXi 6.5 Update1 A04 which is available for download from here

From VMware ESXi 6.5 onwards, the shared PERC8 controller in VRTX use dell_shared_perc8 native driver instead of megaraid_sas vmklinux driver in ESXi 6.0.x branch. 

You may look at the following command outputs in ESXi to verify if you have the supported image installed on PowerEdge VRTX blades. 

~] vmware –lv

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-6765664 

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 Update 1

~] cat /etc/vmware/oem.xml

You are running DellEMC Customized Image ESXi 6.5 Update 1 A04 (based on ESXi VMKernel Release Build 6765664)

~] esxcli storage core adapter list

HBA Name  Driver             Link State  UID                   Capabilities  Description

--------  -----------------  ----------  --------------------  ------------  ----------------------------------------------------------

vmhba3    dell_shared_perc8  link-n/a    sas.0                               (0000:0a:00.0) LSI / Symbios Logic Shared PERC 8 Mini

vmhba4    dell_shared_perc8  link-n/a    sas.c000016000c00        (0000:15:00.0) LSI / Symbios Logic Shared PERC 8 Mini

References

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Hi there

i just updated to

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-7967591

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

But i don't have the dell_shared_perc8  driver installed

And this build i installed is newer (A11)

Perc 8 Firmware Firmware-Version 23.14.06.0013

Do i have to install this drver ?

• Hi, dell-shared-perc8 - 06.806.90.00 driver is included in Dell EMC customized 6.5 U1 A11 image. There is no need to separately install the driver. can you post the output of "esxcli storage core adapter list" command ?

• Hi,

Ok that sound good

here is the output

[root@Alice:~] esxcli storage core adapter list

HBA Name  Driver        Link State  UID                   Capabilities         Description

--------  ------------  ----------  --------------------  -------------------  ----------------------------------------------------------

vmhba0    vmw_ahci      link-n/a    sata.vmhba0                                (0000:00:11.4) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba1    vmw_ahci      link-n/a    sata.vmhba1                                (0000:00:1f.2) Intel Corporation Wellsburg AHCI Controller

vmhba2    megaraid_sas  link-n/a    sas.500c04f22bdc2fbf                       (0000:09:00.0) LSI / Symbios Logic Shared PERC 8 Mini

vmhba3    megaraid_sas  link-n/a    sas.500c04f22bdc2f3f                       (0000:14:00.0) LSI / Symbios Logic Shared PERC 8 Mini

vmhba32   vmkusb        link-n/a    usb.vmhba32                                () USB

vmhba33   bnx2i         unbound     iscsi.vmhba33         Second Level Lun ID  QLogic 57840 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

vmhba34   bnx2i         unbound     iscsi.vmhba34         Second Level Lun ID  QLogic 57840 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

vmhba35   bnx2i         unbound     iscsi.vmhba35         Second Level Lun ID  QLogic 57840 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

vmhba36   bnx2i         unbound     iscsi.vmhba36         Second Level Lun ID  QLogic 57840 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Another question.

There is some confusion about vSphere 6.7 on the VRTX

My M630 blades are supported, as far as i know but somebod said the shared Perc 8 is not supported by 6.7

• I see your system uses megaraid_sas driver instead of dell_shared_perc8 driver for SPERC8 controller. Have you explicitly disabled  the driver dell_shared_perc8 ?

Please help getting the output of the following commands as well:-

1. esxcfg-module -g dell_shared_perc8

2. vmware -lv

3. cat /etc/vmware/oem.xml

• Shared PERC8 is supported in ESXi 6.7.x branch. However the support is limited to M630 and M640 blades alone. We don't support ESXi 6.7.x branch for Dell's 12th generation of servers which includes M620 etc.

• looks like this happpend on the updgrade way from 5.1U3 via 5.5 and 6.0U2 to 6.5U1

[root@Alice:~] esxcfg-module -g dell_shared_perc8

Unknown module name dell_shared_perc8

[root@Alice:~]

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-7967591

[root@Alice:~] cat /etc/vmware/oem.xml

cat: can't open '/etc/vmware/oem.xml': No such file or directory

wired

I used the Dell OEM offline bundle...

I have the M630(VRTX) so 6.7 would work if i had the dell_shared_perc8 driver installed

• Have you explicitly disabled  the driver dell_shared_perc8 ?

NO

• update used

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

• Hi, Did you update from VMware native 6.0 U2 to Dell customized 6.5 U1 A11 ? I see the driver (dell_shared_perc8) itself is not installed by default. The reason is it's not a Dell customized image as well you are running. /etc/vmware/oem.xml should have been there if it's a Dell image. You may need to double check on that.  I would recommend you engage Dell tech support on this if you have used Dell customized 6.5 U1 A11 for upgrade as it involves triaging of the log files etc.