The turn signal switch on my car broke this week. It still happily did the blinky thing, but it refused to leave its happy zone and stop blinking even after I’d finished making a turn. Annoying as it was to me – and to the drivers behind me – the fix required little more than a quick turn into an auto part store (“Really, officer, I would have signaled for that turn, but my signal switch just doesn’t know when enough is enough.”), the purchase of a reasonably-priced turn-signal kit and an adept twist and re-twist of a few screws.

Now, since I enjoy working on cars and the signal kit had everything required to fix the blinky problem, the task was really simple and it allowed a few unengaged brain cells to drift off into thoughts of IT. Specifically, I began thinking about the Ready Bundle for Virtualization.

Just What I'm Looking For

The Ready Bundle for Virtualization, affectionately known as RB-V, is certainly more complex than a turn signal kit, but the principles that made the signal kit a great value apply equally to RB-V.  Just like the signal kit, which included everything required to be a solution to the blinky problem, RB-V includes everything required to be a solution to an IT problem, namely, building out virtualized IT infrastructure.

RB-V includes the compute, storage, network and software components required to build out virtualized infrastructure. It’s not just a collection of parts, though. It’s a well-defined, rigorously tested system designed to address a problem, leaving nothing open to guess work – just like the signal kit.

Certainly, there are people that live for the challenge of cobbling together their own solution to whatever problem confronts them. If the problem is on a car and that car is not critical to one’s livelihood, trips to the parts store, watching a few You Tube instructional videos and nursing skinned knuckles is worth it to brag, “I fixed that.”

However, if the IT infrastructure is core to the business and must deliver without question or compromise, just how many You Tube videos and trips to the parts store can be justified for bragging rights? (Really, boss, digigeek6739’s You Tube video said these VLAN settings would work).

Now, to be clear, just like the signal kit, which comes in multiple versions to accommodate various car makes and models, RB-V is not a one-size-fits-none offering. There are more than two-dozen base configurations of RB-V, each reflecting rationalized objectives for performance, capacity, technology preference, etc. to match your workload requirements. And, lest one think the number of choices introduce risk (and repeat trips to the parts store), there is also a nifty tool called System Builder that guides one through the choices, kind of like Skip behind the counter at the auto parts store. We’ll talk about Skip – er, ah, System Builder – another time, but let’s do talk about the options.

"Can I Help You Find Anything?"

In the simplest of terms, RB-V is a tested collection of compute, storage, network and software components. But from that collection, one can choose rack or modular compute. One can choose fibre channel, iSCSI or software-defined storage (VMware VSAN, in this instance). One can chose all-flash or hybrid storage. One can choose the core hypervisor – VMware vSphere – with or without the exceptional management capabilities of VMware vRealize Suite. And, one can get really tired of reading a long list of choices, so take a look at the diagram to get more details on RB-V.

Remember the guy that lives for the “I fixed that” moment?  He has a counterpart that would rather brag, “I have people for that.” This person doesn’t want to go to the auto parts store, talk to Skip or twist screws. For this person, RB-V provides for the choice of deployment services. Choose the technologies and scale appropriate for your datacenter, then sit back while deployment professionals take care of every detail and you avoid skinned knuckles.

You're All Set

I could go on with increasingly abstract references and comparisons of RB-V to fixing a turn signal switch, but I won’t <insert applause here>. Rather, take this free time to explore RB-V and the other Dell EMC Ready Solutions found here. Take a look at the RB-V choices in System Builder or find out more about additional Ready System offerings

Then call your Dell EMC representative. In no time at all, your blinky problem will be solved, your knuckles will be unskinned and you’ll have a new set of bragging rights, “I solved that.” (Really, people, building virtualized infrastructure is no problem with RB-V and Skip – er, ah, System Builder).

This blog was also published on the Dell EMC Community Network here: https://community.emc.com/community/connect/everything_vmware/blog/2017/07/05/ready-bundle-for-virtualization-rolls-out-of-the-garage