How to inject USB 3.0 drivers into Windows Server 2008 R2SP1 for use on Dell PowerEdge R230, R330, T130, T330 and T30

How to inject USB 3.0 drivers into Windows Server 2008 R2SP1 for use on Dell PowerEdge R230, R330, T130, T330 and T30

TechCenter

TechCenter
DellTechCenter.com is a community for IT professionals that focuses on Data Center and End User Computing best practices. Here you can learn about and share knowledge about Dell products and solutions.

This blog post is originally written by Tilak Sidduram from Windows Engineering Team

Windows Server versions older than 2012 (including WS 2008 R2 w/SP1) do not support USB 3.0 natively. Dell’s 13th Generation server models (R/T/M/FX) 430 and higher comes with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. There is a toggle switch in the BIOS which allows the user to either use USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 (this defaults to 2.0 from our factory). Using the USB 2.0 option makes older Windows versions simple to install. Dell server models (R/T) 330 and lower are USB 3.0 only, making legacy OS installation somewhat more challenging.

Dell BIOS showing USB 3.0 settings with the toggle switch. (Figure 1)

Figure 1: Dell BIOS

With USB 3.0 using the default media, installation will get stuck at the following stage without keyboard and mouse functionality (Figure 2):

Figure 2: Stopped Installation in the setup screen

For a smooth installation, the Intel USB 3.0 driver needs to be slipstreamed into both the “install.wim” and the “boot.wim” of the Windows 2008 R2 w/SP1 media. Each ".wim" file has more than 1 index, so you need to inject the Intel USB 3.0 drivers into all of the applicable indexes of each “.wim” file. Microsoft provides a tool called Deployment Images Servicing and Management (DISM) that will allow modification of “wim” files. DISM is native in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and newer operating systems utilizing Windows PowerShell. Additionally, DISM is available for older Windows operating systems when the Deployment Tools from the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) is installed.

The Intel USB 3.0 drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 are available for download for all 13th Generation Servers on support.dell.com under the chipset category when Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Operating System Filter is applied.

In this blog we have documented two different method to inject the USB 3.0 drivers into the OS image.

1. Method 1: Windows Server 2008 R2 Driver Slipstreaming Utility

2. Method 2: Manually Integrate the USB 3.0 drivers into Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 OS

Method 1: Windows Server 2008 R2 Driver Slipstreaming Utility

Note : We highly recommend to use a Test PC to perform the below steps and for best results, copy all files to local disk on Windows 7, Windows 8.x, or Windows 10 clients. Alternatively, Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 can be used as well, but intermittent operation hangs have been witnessed on Windows 2012 R2 Server.

If there is any antivirus service running on the system running any of the above mentioned OS’s the antivirus software needs to be disabled or stopped until the Image is created using the utility.

Please follow the steps as documented below,

1.         Extract Driver_Update_Utility.zip to the local disk (Please find the attached .zip file below)

2.         Right-click Windows PowerShell and select "Run as Administrator"

3.  Set PowerShell Execution policy to Unrestricted:

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Select "Y" to change the policy

4.         Change directory to the location of DriverUpdate.ps1

5.         Run the DriverUpdate.ps1 script:

.\ DriverUpdate.ps1

Select "R" for Run Once if prompted

The Dell Driver Update Utility GUI will launch on top of PowerShell at this time.

6.         Select ISO or DVD radio button and navigate to location of ISO or DVD drive from the "…" button.

•           Use ISO radio button to navigate to ISO image file

•           Use DVD to select DVD optical drive where Windows 2008 R2 w/SP1 DVD media is installed 

7.         Select the OS Edition to modify from the "Select OS Edition" drop-down menu

Note :

• If you have a Retail or MSDN copy of the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 image, please select 'MSDN or Retail Image' from the drop-down list. Injecting drivers into the MSDN/Retail Image will take approximately ~60 minutes or above.
  • If you want to inject the drivers into any one of Edition (Standard or Datacenter or Enterprise or Web) please make sure to select the appropriate Index/Edition while creating the image and also while during deployment process of the OS. 

8.         Navigate to folder location to save new ISO image from "…" button.

• New modified ISO image will be named WS08R2SP1_New.iso automatically

9.         If you plan to slipstream any additional drivers into new ISO, please select the checkbox and navigate to folder containing additional driver files.

(Note: All the additional drivers needs to be inside a single folder)

10.       Select Start Button to start the integration process.

(Note: when DVD is selected as a source and the Driver integration process is started, the utility will seem to show as Not Responding.  Please wait for some time as the OS content is being copied to the local disk for driver integration.)

11.        To verify completion of the utility, switch to the initial PowerShell and wait for the ISO completion messaging: 

Done.

ISO creation successful

Method 2: Manually Integrate the USB 3.0 drivers into Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 OS 

In this method we have to inject the USB 3.0 drivers manually. In order to achieve the same we need to inject the drivers into “Boot.wim”  which has 2 indexes (1 & 2).

·         Index 1 = Microsoft Windows PE

·         Index 2 = Microsoft Windows Setup

“Install.wim” has 8 indexes. Depending on the edition of media being used, the Intel USB 3.0 drivers needs to be injected into that index. The list below is from the Dell OEM Media and the MSDN media and may differ on customer media.

·         Index 1 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Standard

·         Index 2 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Standard Core

·         Index 3 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Enterprise

·         Index 4 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Enterprise Core

·         Index 5 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Datacenter

·         Index 6 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Datacenter Core

·         Index 7 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Web

·         Index 8 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Web Core

Before the Intel USB 3.0 drivers are injected into the operating system image, a servicing environment needs to be created. If the Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 is being serviced from a Windows 7 OS then the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) needs to be installed on the client OS; if Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 and newer operating system is used then Windows ADK needs to installed.

1.       Create the following folders:

C:\temp\WindowsISO (Unpack the windows 2008R2 ISO to this folder)
C:\temp\drivers (Add all driver folders in this folder… steps 2-6 below)
C:\temp\wim (Is a temp folder for the WIM file)

2.       Extract USB3 driver files to C:\temp\drivers

3.       Download and install Deployment Tools from the ADK 8.1 installer. (Required for oscdimg.exe tool in either process outlined below)

4.       Use Powershell Commands (windows 8 or higher client) or Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment Command Prompt (Any Windows OS with ADK 8.1) to integrate drivers via following processes:

PowerShell Commands:

CD \temp

Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath .\WindowsISO\sources\boot.wim (list index files)

Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath .\WindowsISO\sources\install.wim (list index files)

Mount-WindowsImage -Path .\wim -ImagePath .\WindowsISO\sources\boot.wim -Index x(mount index of wim file, where x is the ImageIndex number)

Add-WindowsDriver -Path .\wim -Driver .\Drivers -Recurse (inject drivers into mounted wim)

Dismount-WindowsImage -Path .\wim -Save (unmount index of wim file and commit changes)

Note: repeat above steps for both indexes of boot.wim and any install.wim indexes for desired installation media*

CD 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\Oscdimg

.\oscdimg -n -m -bc:\temp\WindowsISO\boot\etfsboot.com C:\temp\WindowsISO C:\temp\WindowsISOdrivers\mynew.iso  (creates new ISO image with modified files)

Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment Command Prompt Commands:

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:C:\temp\WindowsISO\sources\boot.wim  (list index files)

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:C:\temp\WindowsISO\sources\install.wim  (list index files)

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\temp\WindowsISO\sources\boot.wim /Index:x /MountDir:C:\temp\wim  (mount index of wim file)

Dism /Image:C:\temp\wim /Add-Driver /Driver:c:\temp\drivers /Recurse  (inject drivers into mounted wim)

Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\temp\wim /Commit  (unmount index of wim file and commit changes)

Note: Repeat above steps for both indexes of boot.wim and any install.wim indexes for desired installation media

oscdimg -n -m -bc:\temp\WindowsISO\boot\etfsboot.com C:\temp\WindowsISO C:\temp\WindowsISOdrivers\mynew.iso  (creates new ISO image with modified files)

Update:05/16/2017 - We have an updated tool released v1.1 with few bug fixes/improvements.

MD5 SUM - 55f420e688bf04f4c6ed37473881b068

Attachment: Driver_Update_Utility_v1.1.zip
Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• may I ask for iso windows, for include usb 3.0 driver, I am having a problem like this?

• I've tried Method #1 on multiple machines and it doesn't work. When I click on the '...' to browse to the iso or to the new iso location, it freezes. If I manually enter the file locations and click start, Powershell immediately says "global iso file is  and that's it.

• @MarkBerwyn: Thanks for reply. While we work on the issue to fix the problem in the meantime

1. Try to run the tool in PowerShell ISE as Administrator instead of default PowerShell.

2. Also in the tool ensure that you have chosen right source, OS Edition and Destination Drive to store ISO (as these are the mandatory fields).

3.  after choosing mandatory fields, once you click on start it takes some time for driver injection and ISO creation. The tool will be running but you will not have control over it so don't try to close it forcefully. Wait for it to finish the ISO creation. Approximately it takes 20 to 30 min.

After trying these if issue still persists can you share some screenshots and system configuration in which tool is being run.

Thanks

• @MarkBerwyn: Thanks for reply. While we work on the issue to fix the problem in the meantime

1. Try to run the tool in PowerShell ISE as Administrator instead of default PowerShell.

2. Also in the tool ensure that you have chosen right source, OS Edition and Destination Drive to store ISO (as these are the mandatory fields).

3.  after choosing mandatory fields, once you click on start it takes some time for driver injection and ISO creation. The tool will be running but you will not have control over it so don't try to close it forcefully. Wait for it to finish the ISO creation. Approximately it takes 20 to 30 min.

After trying these if issue still persists can you share some screenshots and system configuration in which tool is being run.

Thanks

• This solution does not actually work!  Injection into the ISO works fine - and the instructions to do so are clear and easy to follow AND  it solves the problem of starting the installation.   BUT once the base OS is installed and you come to the first post install  screen to change password, the keyboard and mouse are again in-operable!!!  Clearly the USB 3.0 drivers did not get installed to hard drive.   don't know what the solution is.  going to try putting in a USB 2.0 PCI card. I'll post again if this solution works.  if it does, it is truly amazing that you must go buy a piece of hardware to accomplish a supported OS installation.

It is just a total  joke that Dell sells a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 compatible PE  T330 with NO USB 2.0 compatibility - rendering installation of W2008R2 SP1 virtually impossible.  The UP-TO-DATE BIOS  on this machine also does not have ANY setting to disable USB 3.0.  

• This solution does not actually work!  Injection into the ISO works fine - and the instructions to do so are clear and easy to follow AND  it solves the problem of starting the installation.   BUT once the base OS is installed and you come to the first post install  screen to change password, the keyboard and mouse are again in-operable!!!  Clearly the USB 3.0 drivers did not get installed to hard drive.   don't know what the solution is.  going to try putting in a USB 2.0 PCI card. I'll post again if this solution works.  if it does, it is truly amazing that you must go buy a piece of hardware to accomplish a supported OS installation.

It is just a total  joke that Dell sells a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 compatible PE  T330 with NO USB 2.0 compatibility - rendering installation of W2008R2 SP1 virtually impossible.  The UP-TO-DATE BIOS  on this machine also does not have ANY setting to disable USB 3.0.  

• It does work!! Use Method 1 on a machine running Windows 2012 R2 and not Windows 7 or Server 2008.

• Method 1 works fine!!! . I worked on Win8 machine to create iso image with USB3 Drivers

• Well, as stated by Shaboyi, it works for the first part: you can install Win 2008, but after the first reboot when you need to define the admin password, keyboard and mouse are not responsive. Right now I have a brand new R330 that I can't use. (it is located in a remote office with little to no local support).

• If you are having problems using the update tool, use the PowerShell ISE to run the script. If you are using method 2, be sure that you are slipping the drivers into both the boot.wim and install.wim files. Boot.wim is the WinPE version used for setup while install.wim is the installation image. If you do not slip the drivers into install.wim when the installation is complete you will not have keyboard or mouse use after the initial boot into the operating system.

• THIS DOES WORK but THERE ARE CAVEATS!   I ran option #1 on a Windows 10 laptop that I had upgraded from Vista.   Here are the issues I ran into:

1) the dvd burner software inside Windows did not work.  It burned a DVD but it was a Frisbee.  I downloaded a free burner software from here www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

2) My system had a RAID card in it, I had to add the driver in using the add a custom driver in this program.  I was NOT able to add that driver using the Additional drivers option of the actual 2008R2 install.

3) I use a KVM that is older and has PS2 ports so I use USB-to-PS2 keyboard/mice adapters.  I had to try 6 different adapters on the R300 before finding one that would work with my mouse and keyboard.   It worked with the mouse and keyboard just fine in BIOS none of the others I tried did.   The one that worked was a cheap no-name clone.

And I don't even know if that works completely.  It did with BIOS but the keyboard dropped out once the system was booted.  Mouse still worked.   I was able to plug in a USB keyboard and that worked.  I've got a stack of PS2 keyboards I'm going to try out with the adapter.

4) THIS DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 7!!!   Despite adding in the ADK.

Hopefully Dell does not do this again.  It was quite a time-waster.  Dell has always loved to delete PS2 ports from PCs and servers.  As a result of that I don't spec Dell for higher end workstations.  There are a lot of people out there who use old IBM clickity-clack keyboards with positive tactile feedback instead of those mushy things we get today, and they need their PS2 ports.   I'll give the mushy keyboards to the young pups who don't know any better but the experienced users always ask me for better keyboards.  Dell USED to produce better keyboards but not as good as the IBM ones.

• UPDATE  - on the issue with the USB 3 ports on this server - they sell these Mouse-PS2 + Keyboard-PS2 to USB adapters that are a Y shape where the 2 PS2 cables go into a blob and come out a single USB.  I was NOT able to find one of these that worked properly.  Either they worked when the system was booted but the mouse didn't work in BIOS, or the keyboard didn't work but the mouse did, or other problems.

What worked was using PS2 to USB adapters that were a SINGLE ps2 port to USB.  I had to use 2 of these on the server, one for the keyboard, and one for the mouse.  I used some older ones that I had lying around that originally came from Radio Shack.   These worked both in BIOS and in booted Windows 2008R2 with my KVM.  Make sure you use active ones.  There are passive USB-to-PS2 adapters out there that have no circuitry in them - they are designed for certain Microsoft keyboards that had a chip in them that would select the keyboard for either USB or PS2 depending if an adapter was used or not.  Those won't work.

• Download Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 R2 from Dell support website for your server. Extract the zip file and copy the 8 driver files in the following directory to a flash drive.

\Intel_C230_USB3.0_MDNM0_A00_1spark\Intel_C230_USB3.0_MDNM0_A00\Intel_USB_3.0_xHC_Driver_Skylake_PV_4.0.0.36\Drivers\Win7\x64

Just before installing OS use load driver option and browse to the flash drive and load the 2 usb 3.0 drivers from the flash drive. Then after OS installation USB 3.0 will be working.

Thanks

• This solution has not worked for me on 3 different 13G servers.  I need 2008R2 as 1 application I use does not yet support 2012.

What worked for me, as ridiculous as it sounds, was installing a PCIE usb 2.0 add in card.  Tough to find as most add in cards of this nature are USB 3.0.  After the server is installed, I run the USB 3.0 driver update and then remove the card as it will no longer be necessary.  

The one the worked for me is the Startech 4 Port Low Profile PCI Express USB 2.0 Card. Part number is

PEXUSB4DP  Has 3 external and one internal.  Use the ports on the card for the Keyboard and mouse.  Use the Servers built in ports for your install media.

If you have trouble with the keyboard and mouse on initial boot use the Server's USB Ports until the first windows install screen then switch them to the add in card.  Works like a champ

Still ridiculous. Dell has a switch in the bios for the 430 and higher for 2.0 backward compatibility.  Why not on the lower models?