Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
CommAutoTestGroup - Blog CommAutoTestGroup 1
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 5
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,854
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 226
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 57
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 5
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 510
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 3
Latest Blog Posts
  • Dell Big Data - Blog

Dell World: Making Data the Lifeblood of Your Organization

Join us on Wednesday, November 5 at 3:00 p.m. to hear how to align Big Data initiatives to business goals, share data by systems in a cost-effective, well-managed way, while quickly and securely making insights available to business teams across your organization for analysis, discovery, and ultimately, organizational progress.

Dell's Teresa De Onis and Uday Tekumalla will lead this discussion, together with Karim Lokas of Omneo. You'll learn:

• How your organization can benefit by turning data into insights
    • Why aligning Big Data initiatives to business goals allows for faster decision making
    • What results are achieved when insights are shared throughout the business team

Make data the life blood of your organization - join us for this information session Wednesday, November 5 at 3 - 4 p.m. in Room 17A.

• Dell Big Data - Blog

Dell World: Driving Insights from Data

Join us to learn how Omneo is enabling their customers to mine and uncover insights from data using the Dell│Cloudera Hadoop Solution. Omneo's Rami Lokas will join Rob Johnson of Cloudera and Joey Jablonski, a Dell Big Data Enterprise technologist, to discuss how the information gained from data can drive improved quality control as a result of a 360-degree view of product quality and performance across the supply chain, impact the bottom line with millions of dollars in savings based on the ability to identify and address supply chain issues in close to near real-time, ensure flexibility to support various workloads and users, and enable interactive data analytics to gain significant advantages.

During this presentation you will:

• Learn how to get the tools needed to build and scale with expanding and diverse big data
    • Understand how secure and flexible big data solutions can help organizations to take control and analyze big data
    • Discover how to turn data into usable information that drives quantifiable business results

To accommodate the expected crowds, we've scheduled this presentation twice!

Wednesday, November 5 at  12:00 - 1:00 p.m. in  Room 12B AND  Thursday, November 6 at 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. in Room 13A.

Get the most out of your data - join us at the Dell World “Driving Insights from Data with Dell │ Cloudera Big Data Hadoop” presentation.

• SharePoint for All

Great news! @DellSoftware #SharePoint products are now Microsoft #Azure Certified!

We’re excited to announce that Migration Suite for SharePoint and Site Administrator for SharePoint are now Microsoft Azure Certified!

In addition to being listed on the Azure web site, Migration Suite for SharePoint and Site Administrator for SharePoint are now available in the new Microsoft Azure Marketplace, where customers can search for and deploy thousands of third-party solutions to simplify the management of their applications on Azure. 

What does this mean to Dell Software customers and/or partners?

Customers and partners now have another deployment option for these two Dell Software solutions. In other words, rather than buying hardware on-premises or standing up a virtual machine to install Migration Suite or Site Admin, you can start an Azure Gallery that has our software pre-installed. When you fire up the image, you are prompted for a license key which you need to purchase through Dell Software.

For existing Azure customers who have enterprise agreements with Microsoft for their Azure consumption (i.e. compute, storage, data, networking and app services), there’s no additional fees to run the Dell Software tools in your environment. The Dell images simply go against your Microsoft contract.

About these Dell Software solutions

With Migration Suite for SharePoint, you can migrate SharePoint data, Exchange public folders and Windows file shares to a newer version of SharePoint, hosted SharePoint, or to Office 365, with minimal downtime and no data loss.

Site Administrator for SharePoint enables you to increase visibility into your environment to streamline daily management, and reduce time spent when larger jobs are needed.

• KACE Blog

K1000 Kloser Look: Agentless Inventory

The K1000 Agentless technology, which was introduced with version 6.0 has limitless possibilities. Agentless is most commonly used for inventorying devices that we might not otherwise have an agent installed on. This might be a mission critical server that you want to keep safe from accidental updates, or it might be an operating system that an agent doesn’t exist for.

The new Agentless functionality enables K1000 appliance administrators to add these devices to the inventory and poll them periodically, keeping the inventory record updated and relevant. Here are great articles that will help you get started scanning these two common scenarios:

Windows- http://www.kace.com/support/resources/kb/solutiondetail?sol=133156

ESXi: http://www.kace.com/support/resources/kb/solutiondetail?sol=133054

The concepts and methods detailed in these articles can, of course, be used against other similar types of OSes. Think of what you have that’s not in your appliance- now you can have it inventoried if you want!

• General HPC

Justifying the Expenditure on HPC

by Jimmy Pike

High performance computing can offer an organization immeasurable value by cutting costs, reducing the time to market, enabling life-changing discovery, or any number of other quantifiable variables. However, there still exists a very real disconnect between the value realized through HPC, and an ability to justify the expenditure.

According to a recent survey conducted by Intersect360 for the Council on Competitiveness, some 3/4 of companies asked admitted that HPC was critical to their organization's competitiveness. Yet approximately 2/3 also indicated they face challenges in justifying the expenditure to some degree, with one in ten declaring it is a significant challenge.

From the survey we can ascertain two primary challenges companies face when considering HPC: price and Return on Investment (ROI.) Although the price point can be a hindrance - especially for smaller organizations - it is the difficulty in clearly showing ROI that can make the cost such a difficult obstacle to overcome.  After all, HPC doesn't always allow for a prediction that $X spent will yield $Y returned. 

So, what can be done? Well, in the long term solutions like increased scalability and greater government investment will help bridge the divide between need and expenditure. However, we also have a duty right now to help educate the key decision makers about the ROI available through HPC.

For example, recently I spoke with some industry leaders, who admitted that without supercomputing it can take 3-5 years to get their product safely completed. However, the decision makers are unwilling to make the needed HPC investment to safely and successfully reduce that time frame. My response to that statement was simple: What do your companies have to lose? You can build, test, build and repeat, or simulate and test. The latter provides significant ROI. 

Additionally, there is a growing demand for iterative research. Rather than running a batch, stopping it, making the change and running it again, there is now an emerging ability in some environments to change variables along the way without running a new batch. That ability can prove to be invaluable.

Finally, for smaller companies, there are some options to "test run" software to see how costly any required licenses will be. The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, for example, allows companies to use its iForge cluster to better understand what performance and scalability gains will be realized under various conditions. (You can read more about the program in an earlier blog.)

Ultimately, it's up to us to help industries better understand and explain the myriad benefits that come with high performance computing.  Because when organizations recognize that the ROI is well worth the expenditure, everyone benefits.

If you're interested in the full methodology, comments and results from the Intersect360 / Council on Competitiveness survey, you can access it here.

• Application Performance Monitoring Blog

Top 10 reasons NOT to build a Halloween Dashboard with Foglight

Here are the top 10 reasons NOT to build a Halloween Dashboard with Foglight:

#10 - I don't know how to drag and drop.
    #9 - I can't find a good background image.
    #8 - I don't like dashboards, I miss the green terminal.
    #7 - Last time I built a dashboard I ate the Jelly beans.
    #6 - If I built a fun dashboard everybody will want to use it.
    #5 - My mouse ate my monitor.
    #4 - Last time I looked at the spinners I was hypnotized.
    #3 - I don't like fun.
    #2 - I use TOAD and I thought it was called Frog-lite.
    #1 - I am too scared of skulls and pumpkins.

Since there really is no excuse NOT to build a fun Halloween Dashboard with Foglight, I hope you find this video fun and useful.