Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
CommAutoTestGroup - Blog CommAutoTestGroup 1
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 5
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,854
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 226
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 57
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 5
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 510
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 3
Latest Blog Posts
  • Dell TechCenter

Dell TechCenter Rockstar Interview #15: Marius Sandbu

In this interview series we will introduce IT Professionals selected for this year’s Dell TechCenter (DTC) Rockstar Program. This program recognizes independent experts, Dell customers and employees for their significant positive impact on Dell TechCenter, blogs and social media when discussing Dell. You can find a list of all our Rockstars here. Our fifteenth interview is Marius Sandbu.

Dell TechCenter: Can you please explain to folks who are not experts in your area: What is your domain of expertise?

I come from a typical Windows admin role related to virtualization and system management mostly with Hyper-V and System Center and of course cloud solutions with Azure. Lately I've also been more and more involved working with networking and security. Also I’m a Microsoft MVP within Enterprise Client Management and is part of the local Microsoft Technology User Group here in Norway

What are the most exciting trends in your area?

At the moment a lot is happening in the virtualization space, with the arrival of “Software-defined Storage/Networking” and converged solutions which gives a more flexible and dynamic virtualization platform. With the recent partnership between Dell & Nutanix it’s going to be really interesting to see what the future holds.

And of course with the rapid improvements and updates happening in the cloud space it’s really fun times!

Can you point us to resources you find particularly valuable? 

I use feedly with RSS adding most of the common blogs from both Dell and Microsoft and of course blogs from other Rockstars and MVP’s. Also Dell provides a good list of reference architectures which a properly documented and tested which I often use as a blueprint for future deployments.

How do you engage with the IT community? 

Mostly on social media, such as twitter where you can find me @msandbu I also blog at http://msandbu.wordpress.com about what I find interesting at the time.  You can also find me presenting at seminars/webinars.

What are the most cutting edge Dell products – and why?

At the moment it is the Dell VRTX, because it is quite the powerhouse and allows for deployment of a full cluster up to 4 nodes / 20+ disks / and even PCI-e cards within the same chassis and with an simplified disk management. But! With the upcoming Dell XC series combining Nutanix software with Dell hardware (combining converged hardware with SDS) it will open up a new world of opportunities!

Dell TechCenter:  Thank you Marius!

• General HPC

A New Venture for Jay Boisseau

Congratulations to our friend Jay Boisseau, former director of the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC), on his latest venture. Jay has become the CEO of a new start up, Vizias. The company is focusing on “advancing science and improving society through innovative computing and data strategies and solutions.”

Dell is excited to be a technology partner of Vizias. The company is still in “stealth mode” but you can read more about this new chapter in Jay’s distinguished career at insideHPC.

• Dell Cloud Blog

Why You Need Cloud Management: Helping IT and business users work together in the cloud

If you are responsible for administration and management of your organization’s cloud infrastructure, there are four questions that should be top of mind:

1. Do you know who is using the cloud, and for what purpose?
    2. Do you know how much money your organization is spending on cloud provider services – and who is spending it?
    3. Can you centrally track and control actions taken within your cloud environment?
    4. Are your business users enabled to launch the resources they need without putting in a new request every time?

If you answered “no” to any of these questions, a cloud management solution can help.

To read more, visit the full post on the #DellSolves blog. 

• Information Management

StatSoft is Now Part of Dell – Gauging the Fit

StatSoft has been a part of Dell for several months, and this is a good opportunity to gauge the fit.

If you’ve followed Statistica, you’ll be glad to know that we’ve retained the Statistica brand, and we’re in Dell Software’s Information Management portfolio under Business Intelligence (BI), alongside Toad BI Suite, Boomi and Kitenga.

If you’re not yet familiar with Statistica, I’ll explain why that’s such a good place for us to be.

Data mining, visualization and predictive analytics

Once you’ve collected enough data, you’ll want to do three things with it: mine it, visualize it and use it to predict the future. Advanced analytic tools are in use across all industries and business functions. Advanced analytics allow you to:

• Identify new customers and sales opportunities
    • Retain your best customers
    • Forecast trends and industry shifts
    • Explore what-if scenarios
    • Detect *** and mitigate business risks

Statistica is known for enabling its customers to find patterns in huge amounts of data and make decisions based on those patterns. As Gregory Piatetsky of the KDnuggets site pointed out, Statistica rounds out Dell’s portfolio of information management tools, as depicted in the image below.

Big data today will be normal data tomorrow

As a part of the Information Management product portfolio, Statistica gives Dell competitive advantages in emerging areas of advanced analytics. Thomas Hill, Ph.D., executive director of analytics for Statistica, talked about several of those areas in a KDnuggets interview:

• What we think of as big data today will be normal data tomorrow, and analyzing that much data will become routine. In fact, in sectors such as manufacturing, it already is routine.
    • Data mining and predictive modeling algorithms contribute to better products – including semiconductors, solar panels and medical devices – made at lower cost with less scrap and less impact on the environment.
    • In highly regulated industries like pharmaceuticals, the market rewards products that support privacy in personal information, including transparency of processes, documentation of decisions and assignment of responsibilities through approval processes. These features move the product landscape toward analytics, governance of data and the application of results in areas of personal importance, such as credit worthiness and health care.
    • A huge portion of useful data no longer comes in structured, row-and-column format. Unstructured, high-velocity, continuous data streams are becoming increasingly common. The data community is still refining particular analytics and analytic workflows that will grow in importance for applications like automated dynamic learning and forecasting, identification of optimal steady states and optimization of system robustness.

That’s the big picture for big data as Statistica continues growing inside Dell. Find out more about Dell Statistica, and subscribe to the Information Management blog on TechCenter for more ideas on putting advanced analytics to work for your organization.

###

• Application Performance Monitoring Blog

Getting More Value from Enterprise Foglight

This is a continuation of the value discussion that I started almost 3 weeks ago now.  Today I want to go down even one more click and provide direct information that can be used by Enterprise Foglight Administrators to deliver more value to their organizations.  What I've created is a reference to information that can be filtered by a role, technology, and technology platform.  This filtering enables a Foglight administrator or Foglight end-user to get to end user based information for the 24 different personas that were discussed in my previous post.  It was a bit tricky to pull all of this together in one place because there were several different data sources needed.  

This video explains each of those data sources and how to use the reference data: