Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
CommAutoTestGroup - Blog CommAutoTestGroup 1
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 5
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,854
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 222
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 57
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 5
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 510
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 3
Latest Blog Posts
  • Dell TechCenter

Dell Open Source Ecosystem Digest #49

DevOps:
    Ross Tuck: Multistage environments with Ansible
    Ansible has excellent documentation but one thing I was confused about was the best way to store the configuration for multistage projects: say, different passwords for dev, staging, production. This isn’t really covered in the ansible-examples repo because it’s specific to your project and while the documentation has recommendations, it doesn’t spell it out completely. Read more.

OpenStack:
    Aaron Rosen: Testing cross project related patches in gate before merging!
    A few months back I was working on a blueprint with Dan Smith which required changes to be made to three different projects (neutron, nova, and python-novaclient). One of the tricks that we came up with was modifying devstack in order to run all of our patches through the gate to test the cross project integration before the patches merged. We found this to be super helpful and allowed us to shake out several bugs pretty quickly that we wouldn’t have found until we started merging some of the patches. Read more.

Ben Nemec: Juno Summit Thoughts
    I attended my first OpenStack Summit in Atlanta last week, and now that I'm (mostly) recovered I wanted to write down some of my thoughts about the experience. Read more.

eNovance: Keep OpenStack Weird
    Last week in Atlanta during the OpenStack Summit, I gave a talk on “Are enterprises ready for the OpenStack transformation” [slides|video]. In this talk, I suggest that OpenStack is a game changer, both by definition and because of how it’s following the AWS model, in the way enterprises should develop applications. Read more.

ICCLab: Authenticating the python ceilometer client against the Openstack APIs – bloody lambda functions!
    We were doing some work with Ceilometer – it appears in a few of our activities – and I was trying to get up to speed with it. Playing with the python Ceilometer client proved a little more difficult then envisaged – mostly due to deficiencies in documentation. Here’s a small note on an issue I faced with authentication. Read more.

John Dickinson: Thoughts after the OpenStack Juno Summit
    A week out of the OpenStack Juno summit, it’s time to reflect, focus, and move forward in the community. I’ve been involved in OpenStack since it began—I was on the Cloud Files team at Rackspace that originally wrote Swift—and I’ve seen the community and ecosystem grow dramatically over the last four years. What began as a group of about 20 has now become thousands. Read more.

Mirantis: Nobody’s Using OpenStack, Huh? Guess Again.
    Now that the dust from the OpenStack summit in Atlanta has settled, it’s probably a good time to take a look at the other semi-annual OpenStack tradition, the OpenStack user survey. This cycle’s survey, known as the Juno survey because this was technically the Juno design summit, gave us the following interesting statistics: Read more.

Mirantis: Rally: OpenStack Tempest Testing Made Simple(r)
    Cloud users today often also need to be cloud innovators: upgrading components, integrating new hardware, scaling up, and making lots of configuration changes. But how can you be sure the changes you make don’t break anything? Read more.

Opensource.com: What is an OpenStack superuser?
    What is an OpenStack superuser? Or perhaps more aptly, who is an OpenStack superuser? As OpenStack continues to mature and slowly make its way into production environments, the focus on the user is continuing to grow. And so, to better meet the needs of users, the community is working hard to get users to meet the next step of engagement by highlighing those users who are change agents both in their organization and within the OpenStack community at large: the superusers. Read more.

Opensource.com: Define your network in software with OpenDaylight
    For years, the traditional model in networking was for much of the work to be done in hardware. But with the rise of cloud computing and virtualization, and the need for networks to become more agile and flexible than ever, a trend is beginning to take hold to take networking in the same direction that computing has gone. We are seeing more and more that the networking functions traditionally done in the datacenter by dedicated, almost exclusively proprietary hardware and software combinations, are now being defined through software. Read more.

Rob Hirschfeld: How DefCore is going to change your world: three advisory cases
    The first release of the DefCore Core Capabilities Matrix (DCCM) was revealed at the Atlanta summit. At the Summit, Joshua and I had a session which examined what this means for the various members of the OpenStack community. This rather lengthy post reviews the same advisory material. Read more.

SwiftStack: OpenStack Juno Summit From a Swift Perspective
    Last week Anders wrote about the growth in the OpenStack community and the huge shift in people asking about the project to people talking about running it. This transition is fantastic to see. Read more.

Tesora: OpenStack Should Be FIne, Even if Rackspace Gets Sold
    A couple of weeks ago, OpenStack had a big party in Atlanta and celebrated with 4500 strong coming together to talk about all things OpenStack. There were vendors and developers and signs of a vibrant community, but underneath were also some signals that perhaps OpenStack is at a crossroads. Read more.

Tesora: Join the fastest growing open-source movement: OpenStack
    Training—and gaining OpenStack skills and expertise—will benefit IT pros, according to the OpenStack Foundation. The organization says that OpenStack jobs consistently pay higher wages and employers have doubled the number of job postings over the past year. Read more.

• Dell TechCenter

Secure Mobile Access with Windows Phone 8.1

Secure Mobile Access with Windows Phone 8.1

By Dave Telehowski, Director of Software Engineering at Dell

With the release of the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers last month, Windows Phone developers can now test-drive the upcoming version of Microsoft’s mobile operating system. Windows Phone 8.1 includes major features such as the personal assistant Cortana, the new Action Center, a mobile version of Internet Explorer 11, and support for virtual private networks (VPNs). Let’s take a closer look at how you can get secure mobile access using a VPN connection in Windows Phone 8.1.

VPN Tunneling

Windows Phone 8.1 introduces support for VPN tunneling protocols including native support for IKEv2 connections and proprietary SSL VPN protocol support via third-party VPN plug-ins that can be downloaded from the Windows Phone Store. Several third-party VPN plug-ins are already available, including SonicWALL Mobile Connect from Dell. Once a VPN plug-in is installed on the phone, use the Settings app to manually configure a VPN profile. When creating a profile, an installed VPN plug-in’s name will appear in the profile Type list, e.g., SonicWALL Mobile Connect. SonicWALL Mobile Connect™ provides users full network-level access to corporate and academic resources over encrypted SSL VPN connections. The client provides anytime, anywhere access to critical applications such as email, virtual desktop sessions and other Windows Phone applications.

Securely Connected

After connecting the VPN and successfully authenticating, a full layer-3 VPN tunnel is established and your Windows Phone can securely access private network resources through the VPN connection. For mobile workers, that means they can now securely access the same web sites and network resources from their Windows Phone the same way they can on their PC in the office.

Windows Phone 8.1 is expected to be available as a general release later this summer. If you want to try it out before then, register as a Windows Phone developer and download the Preview for Developers app today. Please note that installing the Preview version of Windows Phone 8.1 may void any warranty from your mobile operator and/or device manufacturer, so be sure to read and understand the important requirements and notes before upgrading.

Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Screenshots

Adding a VPN Connection – Note: if a custom port is required, then a URL must be entered in the “Server name” field.

Connecting the VPN

• Dell TechCenter

Dell TechCenter Rockstar Interview #10: Margaret Boeneke

In this interview series we will introduce IT Professionals selected for this year’s Dell TechCenter (DTC) Rockstar Program. This program recognizes independent experts, Dell customers and employees for their significant positive impact on Dell TechCenter, blogs and social media when discussing Dell. You can find a list of all our Rockstars here. Our tenth interviewee is Margaret Boeneke.

Dell TechCenter: Can you please explain to folks who are not experts in your area: What is your domain of expertise?

Margaret Boeneke: I am a technical writer and editor for Dell Storage technical solutions. I work with three teams of engineers to produce Reference Architectures, Deployment and Configuration guides, and Best Practices. I also spend a lot of time organizing our pages in Dell TechCenter so that our content is easy to find.

Q: What are the most exciting trends in your area?

A: People don’t usually think of white papers as exciting, but we do have some changes that I think are expanding the accessibility for our content. Dell Compellent content is moving into Dell TechCenter and onto Dell.com. This puts all of the Dell Storage content in the same place.

Q: Can you point us to Storage Technical Solutions resources you find particularly valuable?

A: Sure, but I might be a little biased towards the content we produce. We post 10+ new papers each month, so there’s always something new available.

Compellent Technical Content  

EqualLogic Technical Content

Rapid EqualLogic Configuration Portal

Switch Configuration Guides for EqualLogic SANs

Q: How do you engage with the IT community?

A: Whenever we have new papers available, I post a tweet to let people know @MargaretatDell. I also look for feedback on current papers or suggestions for future paper topics at the email address SISfeedback@dell.com. I am usually behind the scenes working to get useful content in the hands of people who can use it! 

Q: What are the most cutting edge Dell products – and why?

A: Dell Storage is producing a lot of great solution-focused documentation that addresses the latest technical opportunities for storage. Here are a couple of the latest docs:

Citrix XenDesktop with Provisioning Server for VDI (3,000 desktops) on Dell Compellent All Flash Array

Automation and Integration with MS Systems Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 SP1 and Dell EqualLogic Storage

Sizing and Best Practices for Deploying Oracle VM using Dell EqualLogic Hybrid Arrays

Q: Margaret, thank you so much!

• vWorkspace - Blog

Web Access - Application Click Delay

In certain situations you may not want to allow end users to click on an application multiple times. This is possible to configure in AppPortal but is not currently available in Web Access.

We’ve therefore come up with a way to achieve this with Web Access using some Javascript.

Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with altering web code, please do not read any further. We also have to point out that this would be unsupported and carried out at your own risk!

The following shows how to change this for Web Access

Version 7.6 of vWorkspace

1. On your vWorkspace Web Access server, browse to:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web\Scripts\

Where 'web' is your vWorkspace Web Access site name.

2. Make a copy of Apps.js in case you make any mistakes, then open Apps.js in your preferred text editor.

Around line number 169 you should see the following:

$("div[id^='cell_']").click(function () {
            SetSessionTimeout();
            var args = new String($(this).attr("cmdargs"));
            $("#cmdArgs").val(args);
            $("form").attr("url", root + "SiteMaster/ShowDialog").submit();
        });              //end appclick event
    }

3. Underneath,

Add the following line:

ShowMessageDialog("Please wait for your application to load. If nothing happens please contact your IT helpdesk, do not click multiple times.");

So that you have:

$("div[id^='cell_']").click(function () {
            SetSessionTimeout();
            var args = new String($(this).attr("cmdargs"));
            $("#cmdArgs").val(args);
    ShowMessageDialog("Please wait for your application to load. If nothing happens please contact your IT helpdesk, do not click multiple times.");
        });              //end appclick event
    }

4. Save the file.

5. Do a quick reset of IIS just to ensure the change is active.

Version 8 MR1 of vWorkspace

1. On your vWorkspace Web Access server, browse to:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web\Scripts\

Where 'web' is your vWorkspace Web Access site name.

2. Make a copy of Apps.js in case you make any mistakes, then open Apps.js in your preferred text editor.

Around line 191, underneath

$("form").attr("url", root + "Apps/LaunchApps").submit();

3. Add the following line:

So that you have:

function AppClick(app) {
        SetSessionTimeout();
        var args = new String($(app).attr("cmdargs"));
        $("#cmdArgs").val(args);
        $("form").attr("url", root + "Apps/LaunchApps").submit(); 

4. Save the file.

5. Do a quick reset of IIS just to ensure the change is active.

Result

For both version 7.6 and version 8 MR1 of web access, this will allow the application to load normally but will also pop up a dialog box after an application is clicked which will prevent any further applications being launched until the user clicks the OK button. You can also customise the text shown on screen to help educate the end users to not click on multiple applications one after the other.

If you combine this line of code with a web session timeout (WebAccess Site Properties| Browser Interface| Other Settings) of for example 1-2 minutes, then users won't be able to flood your vWorkspace farm with multiple requests in an extremely short period of time as they will get logged out and have to re-log in.

N.B Please remember the above is provided as something to trial in your own environment if you are seeing users generating multiple requests, it won't suit everyone's work flow!

Please let us know below if this was helpful for you! :)

• Dell TechCenter

Four of Dell’s Windows Migration and Management Solutions are ABA/Stevie Awards Finalists

Awards season is upon us, and our Direct2Dell blog lately has heralded the numerous accolades earned by Dell’s products and people.  Well, I’m about to add to it — again. That’s because we recently learned that four of our Windows Migration and Management solutions have been named finalists for the 2014 (12th annual) American Business Awards, the “Stevies.”   This is no small achievement even for one product, and to have four of our Dell solutions chosen as finalists makes us extremely proud. The American Business Awards recognize the achievements and positive contributions of business organizations and individuals across the country, and is the leading business awards program in the United States. 

We are thrilled that, after more than five weeks of preliminary judging, a group of independent judges has agreed that these products are worthy of national recognition as gold, silver or bronze Stevie Award winners. Final judging will start next week and winners will be announced in September.

Three of our finalists — On Demand Migration for Email, Migration Manager for PSTs, and Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition — are in the category of New Product or Service of the Year - Software - Systems Management Solution. The fourth, our Change Auditor compliance solution, is in the New Product or Service of the Year - Software - Governance, Risk & Compliance Solution category. While ChangeAuditor is competing against solutions from several other companies, the other three are competing with another one of our own: the fourth finalist in the Systems Management category is Dell KACE Endpoint Systems Management Appliances.

Although we’re effectively competing against ourselves in that category, it is tremendously gratifying to know that, overall, not just one — but four — of our Windows Migration and Management solutions were determined by ABA judges to be finalist-worthy. That is significant affirmation of our commitment to listening to the needs of our customers, and offering Windows Migration and Management solutions that help them reduce the challenges, cost and complexity of managing Windows migrations, either on-premises or in the cloud, and ensuring that compliance is easily maintained and proven. 

We have every confidence that in September, we will have even more reason to be proud.

Drop me a line at Tom_Kendra@Dell.com to talk more about how we can help you with your Windows migration and management projects. 

• Dell TechCenter

Dell TechCenter Rockstar Interview #9: Jerry Gamblin

In this interview series we will introduce IT Professionals selected for this year’s Dell TechCenter (DTC) Rockstar Program. This program recognizes independent experts, Dell customers and employees for their significant positive impact on Dell TechCenter, blogs and social media when discussing Dell. You can find a list of all our Rockstars here. Our ninth interviewee is Jerry Gamblin.

Dell TechCenter: Can you please explain to folks who are not experts in your area: What is your domain of expertise?

Jerry Gamblin: I hate to use the word expert but I am a passionate security professional who loves to learn as much about security as possible.

Q: What are the most exciting trends in security?

A: The Cloud. With more people storing information in the cloud, making sure that information is secure is very important.

Q: Can you point us to security resources you find particularly valuable?

A: For the last couple of years Twitter has been the main source for security news and information.  Security is a decentralized industry so you may one day be reading a great story from the Wall Street Journal and the next day be reading a blog post from a guy in Germany with just as much importance.

Q: How do you engage with the IT community?

A: I spend a lot of time of Twitter. My username there is @Jgamblin.  I also write on my personal blog.

Q: What are the most cutting edge Dell products – and why?

A: I am a big fan of the new chrome book and ultrabooks Dell has been producing. They are some of the best in the industry. The SonicWALL product line is becoming a force in the NGFW (Next Generation Firewall) market. Secureworks is doing amazing things on the consulting and security research front.

Q: Jerry, thank you so much!

• KACE Blog

K2000 Kloser Look: Knowledge is power

This month we wanted to share with you some of the new Knowledge Base articles that the team is creating for you. There are plenty more solutions on kace.com of course, but here are a few of the latest and greatest entries:

ITNinja Posts:

• Dell TechCenter

Dell Open Source Ecosystem Digest #48

Big Data:
    Datadog: Correlate metrics and logs with Datadog and Splunk
    Splunk is a tool that lets you search, analyze, and create custom reports on your log data to help identify abnormal behavior in your infrastructure. With the new Datadog and Splunk integration, you can view the log alerts and reports that Splunk creates in the context of the infrastructure metrics and events that Datadog captures. Using Datadog and Splunk together, further increases your visibility into your infrastructure and helps identify the root cause of problems faster and with greater accuracy. Read more.

Datadog: Instrument Memcached performance metrics with DogStatsD
    This post is the second of a two-part series on Memcached. In my first Memcached post, I showed you a typical web application request that can be optimized using Memcached and detailed how to collect general metrics from Memcached using the Datadog Agent. This week, I’m going to show you how to dive a bit deeper into your cache’s performance. Read more.

Datameer: How-to: Use PMML Plug-in for Predictive Modeling in Datameer
    The other day I was discussing extreme global weather patterns with some of my colleagues, El Niño in particular. I started thinking that, with the help of a predictive model and our PMML Plug-in, we could use Datameer to predict the temperature of ocean currents, which is responsible for this type of climate phenomena. Read more.

OpenStack:
    eNovance: Vulnerability Management in Juno
    During the summit in Atlanta, the Vulnerability Management Team gathered in a design session for the upcoming Juno cycle. Read more.

Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Firewalld, NetworkManager, and OpenStack
    These are my notes on making OpenStack play well with firewalld and NetworkManager. Read more.

Mirantis: Supporting OpenStack Competitors: If Microsoft is doing it, Red Hat must too. The recent slew of articles from the Wall Street Journal and ReadWriteWeb stating that Red Hat won’t support customers who choose rival OpenStack distribution caused a wave of controversy. Since Mirantis was in the center of many of these discussions, I wanted to shed my perspective on the matter. Read more.

Opensource.com: Key insights from the OpenStack user survey
    The best software prioritizes the needs of its users. Listening to the user and more closely involving them in all aspects of design, development, and documentation has been a key focus of this year's OpenStack Summit, which is wrapping up here in Atlanta today. Read more.

Opensource.com: OpenStack launches new marketplace of vendors
    The OpenStack Juno Summit last week in Atlanta was a source of many new and exciting announcements, from both vendors and the OpenStack Foundation itself. One of the more interesting of such announcements was of a new OpenStack Marketplace. For those looking to explore their options in commercial offerings of OpenStack, from training to distributions to public clouds and more, the Marketplace is designed to help users better understand what resources are available. Read more.

Rackspace: Three Key Observations From OpenStack Summit Atlanta
    At the OpenStack “Juno” Summit in Atlanta this week, more than 4,500 people packed the convention center to learn, share and experience the awesome that is the OpenStack community. Read more.

Sean Dague: Processing OpenStack GPG keys in Thunderbird
    If you were part of the OpenStack keysigning party from the summit, you are currently probably getting a bunch of emails sent by caff. This is an easy way to let a key signer send you your signed key. Read more.

OpenStack Summit Atlanta 2014:
    Getting started with OpenStack
    OpenStack continues to grow exponentially as the de facto standard for open source Cloud platforms. But how can someone quickly get started with learning this exciting new technology? This workshop will walk participants through an overview of the OpenStack components and offer practical suggestions and resources for learning OpenStack. To demonstrate one way to get started, we will assist workshop attendees to set up a multi-node OpenStack cloud, on their laptops, using Red Hat's RDO and the Packstack utility. Watch the video.

Alice In Wonderland - DevOps and OpenStack Networking
    Around 6 years ago I started working with some tools that focused on software engineering collaboration and automation for operations. At the time products like CFEngine and Puppet were the two main tools promoting this new way of doing operations and sharing within operations and software development. A year later Chef was born and I was fortunate enough to join Opscode as the 9th employee as an evangelist preaching this disruptive form of collaboration and automation. At the time a majority of IT infrastructure was managed by what I called the "Bob's" of the world. Bob's scripts, Bob's directories and Bob to death do us part. Trying to explain to Bob the benefits of collaboration and software engineering principles was a hard fought battle over the years. One of the compelling events that helped propel these ideas (what we now call Devops) was cloud computing in the form of IaaS for compute resources. Fast forward to 2014 and these infrastructure automation and collaboration battles still exist but the battles are far less bloody. Now a new war is emerging in the network operations and engineering space. Watch the video.

WhatTheStack? A Tool Based on Tempest to Verify your Deployments
    OpenStack service interoperability is becoming a major requirement for developers and users of public clouds. With more and more OpenStack-based deployments available to the public it is getting harder and harder to choose a vendor that ensures API interoperability. To make things worse, you might want to have some external testing for verification. Watch the video.

Introduction to OpenStack Orchestration
    In this session you will learn how the Orchestration capabilities of OpenStack, provided by the Heat project, can help make the deployment and management of your cloud workloads simpler and more robust by allowing you to represent infrastructure as code. Watch the video.

Hacking OpenStack for Padawans
    This is where you'll learn how to hack OpenStack itself. You'll start by firing up your own OpenStack development environment, go on to modify OpenStack itself, and end the session learning how to contribute your modification back to the project. Sounds like a lot? That's because it is! Watch the video.

OpenStack from Zero to Nova: An Activity-Driven Workshop
    Curious about OpenStack, but don't know where to start? In this hands-on tutorial, we will walk you through the basics of using OpenStack. No prior OpenStack knowledge is necessary. We will take you from zero to creating instances, both in the web client (Horizon) and on the command line. Watch the video.

Elastic Recheck - Tools for Finding Race Conditions in OpenStack
    During the Havana release cycle we discovered Tempest was getting comprehensive enough that it would expose interesting timing problems in OpenStack in the OpenStack gate. Developers were used to calling these "flakey tests" and ignoring the negative results, however we saw a pattern emerge where the same pattern for a fail could be seen multiple times.Watch the video.

OpenStack Swift as a Backend for Git
    Openstack Swift is an efficient way to store data and let you enjoy its data safety, high availability and horizontal scalability capabilities. Git is designed to store its objects using traditional block storage systems but they generally does not provided the same capabilities as Swift offers. Why not using Swift for storing Git repositories ? Watch the video.

Practical Docker for OpenStack
    In this talk, we'll introduce you to Docker, provide examples for using Heat, and explain what changes are necessary when you deploy Nova with Docker. Finally, we'll explain some best practices to ensure you deploy Docker integrated OpenStack in a secure and scalable fashion. Watch the video.

OpenStack: Where Continuous Delivery and Distros Collide
    Like many open-source projects, OpenStack uses a time-based release model. Feature development happens in a flurry of activity in the first part of each release cycle and then we taper, allowing enough time for many eyes to make shallow bugs" and for us to gain enough confidence in the quality of our release candidates. Even after a release, we continue to maintain a stable branch for issues found and fixed post-release. Watch the video.

Making Test-Driven Development [Somewhat] Bearable on OpenStack
    While some developers may find it silly to create tests they know will immediately fail, this is actually the first step of test-driven development. Test-driven development not only results in better code, it also reduces those late night surprises when it comes to deploying the software. All developers know that they should adopt test-driven development practices, so why are so few actually doing it? The short answer is that it sucks writing tests. The goal of this talk is to demonstrate some of the tools that make test-driven development [somewhat] bearable on OpenStack environments. Watch the video.

Hitchhiker's Guide to DevOps Tools on OpenStack
    Application deployment is hard work. Private cloud builders have in common enough scale and complexity to justify the need for API abstraction of their compute, storage and network needs. The applications deployed on these clouds are normally extremely complex. Building a cloud without rehosting application assets to it yeilds an unrealized investment. In this presentation, Lee Thompson will sample freely available open source tools which dramatically improve you ability to deploy applications onto Open Stack. Come hear the latest from tools like Barclamp, Chef, Forman, Juju, Puppet, Rundeck and others and start realizing your cloud investment. Watch the video.

Automation, Orchestration, Confusion? Taking the Discussion Up the Stack
    Once you've got your OpenStack infrastructure in place, automating and managing application deployment is your next challenge to tackle. In this panel, we'll discuss the tools, approaches and frameworks available for OpenStack based application deployment today. Watch the video.

• General HPC

University of Maryland Unveils Deepthought2 Supercomputer

Recently, the University of Maryland unveiled one of the nation's fastest university-owned supercomputers. Deepthought2 is 10 times faster than its predecessor, the original Deepthought. 

With a processing speed of about 300 teraflops, the new supercomputer has a petabyte of storage and is connected by an InfiniBand network. Deepthought2 was developed with high-performance computing solutions from Dell.

Deepthought2 will allow the university's researchers to conduct a level of simulations that heretofore would have had to be run on a national-level supercomputer. However, now,  based on current standings, it is believed that Deepthought2 will be one of the top 500 clusters in the world and one of the top 10 among universities in the United States.

The new system will allow the university to conduct advanced research activities in a multitude of disciplines: from studying the formation of the first galaxies to simulating fire and combustion. 

Deepthought2 is a significant asset of the University of Maryland's new 9,000-square-foot Cyberinfrastructure Center, which  will provide power and the necessary space for Deepthought2. 

You can read more about Deepthought2 at insideHPC ,Information Technology Newsletter for the University of Maryland, the University's independent student newspaper The Diamondback, or University Business.

• KACE Blog

K1000 Kloser Look: Sometimes it’s the simplest things…

K1000 v6.0 has some pretty major and amazing features, and you’ll find out all about those, but in this K1000 Kloser Look we want to highlight an unsung hero- easter eggs. Not that these items are hidden, but when you find them they are pretty indispensable.

Auto-Refresh on list pages. It’s easy to enable; Simply click Choose Action, then select the auto refresh option and pick you desired update interval. This way you’re seeing data stream in as agents are updating.

Page customization- Look for the blue gear- that’s your key to getting the data you want and need on the list. Oh, and those columns are resizable, just click and drag the spacer bar between columns and make it your own.

Contextual help – This great little flyout helper isn’t meant to replace the documentation, but rather bring it where you want it, when you need it. The answer you need is likely right at your fingertips.

We could go on forever about all of the great things in K1000 v6.0, but don’t take our word for it- look around the new interface and see what you find most helpful in your situation. The entire appliance has been worked over to help make things easier than ever to use, find, and interact with.