Big Data:
Datameer: How-to: Incrementally Load Data from Relational Sources in Datameer
In case you haven’t noticed, we are always striving to maximize efficiency and ease for our customers. As such, one of my favorite features in Datameer is the ability to incrementally load data from relational sources. This allows you to keep fresh data in your Hadoop system while also putting minimal stress on the upstream relational system since you’re only adding changed or updated records to your environment. Read more.

DevOps:
Rackspace: Rolling Deployments With Ansible and Cloud Load Balancers
Recently a fellow Racker wrote a great post about zero downtime deployments. I strongly believe in the principals he described. In his example, he used Node.js to build a deployment script to accomplish the goal, and I want to explore how this could be done with Ansible and the Rackspace Cloud. Read more.

OpenStack:
Adam Young: Configuring mod_nss for Horizon
Horizon is the Web Dashboard for OpenStack. Since it manages some very sensitive information, it should be accessed via SSL. I’ve written up in the past how to do this for a generic web server. Here is how to apply that approach to Horizon. Read more.

Adam Young: MySQL, Fedora 20, and Devstack
Once again, the moving efforts of OpenStack and Fedora have diverged enough that devstack did not run for me on Fedora 20. Now, while this is something to file a bug about, I like to understand the issue to have a fix in place before I report it. Here are my notes. Read more.

Adam Young: Packstack to LDAP
While Packstack makes it easy to get OpenStack up and running, it does not (yet) support joining to an existing Directory (LDAP) server. I went through this recently and here are the steps I followed. Read more.

Andreas Jaeger: OpenStack Icehouse released - and available now for openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise
OpenStack Icehouse has been released and packages are available for openSUSE 13.1 and SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3 in the Open Build Service. Read more.

Cody Bunch: Basic Hardening with User Data / Cloud-Init
The ‘cloud’ presents new and interesting issues around hardening an instance. If you buy into the cattle vs. puppies or cloudy application building mentality, your instances or VMs will be very short lived (Hours, Weeks, maybe Months). The internet however, doesn’t much care for how short lived the things are, and the attacks will begin as soon as you attach to the internet. Thus, the need to harden at build time. What follows is a quick guide on how to do this as part of the ‘cloud-init’ process. Read more.

Cody Bunch: Basic Hardening Part 2: Using Heat Templates
Specifying that as user-data every time is going to get cumbersome, as will managing your build scripts if you are using CLI tools and the like. A better way, is to build it into a Heat Template. This allows for some flexibility in both version controlling it as well as layering HOT templates to a desired end state (HOT allows for template nesting. Read more.

Docker: OpenStack – Icehouse release update
Today, we expect the release of OpenStack Icehouse. In March, we reminded readers that Docker will continue to have OpenStack integration in Icehouse through our integration with Heat. Of course, that remains true. Since then, however, much has happened to warrant an update. Read more.

James Page: OpenStack 2014.1 for Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 LTS
I’m pleased to announce the general availability of OpenStack 2014.1 (Icehouse) in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and in the Ubuntu Cloud Archive (UCA) for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Users of Ubuntu 14.04 need take no further action other than follow their favourite install guide – but do take some time to checkout the release notes for Ubuntu 14.04. Read more.

Matt Fischer: Keystone – using stacked auth (SQL & LDAP)
Most large companies have an Active Directory or LDAP system to manage identity and integrating this with OpenStack makes sense for some obvious reasons, like not having multiple passwords and automatically de-authenticating users who leave the company. However doing this in practice can be a bit tricky. Read more.

Mirantis: OpenStack Icehouse is here: what do you want to know?
After 6 months of intensive development, OpenStack Icehouse was released today. With an increased focus on users, manageability and scalability, it’s meant to be more “enterprise friendly” than previous releases. Here are some of the quick facts from the OpenStack Foundation. Read more.

Mirantis: OpenStack Icehouse: More Than Just PR
Is your head swimming with Icehouse information yet? By now you have certainly heard that the ninth OpenStack’s version, Icehouse, has been released. The most prominent features, such as rolling compute upgrades, improved object storage replication, tighter integration of networking and compute functionality, and federated identity services, have gotten a lot of airtime, but with more than 350 implemented blueprints, there’s a lot more below the surface of this particular iceberg. Here at Mirantis, we’ve been doing a lot of work with Icehouse, and we’ll be going into some technical depth on many of the new features of Icehouse in our webinar on April 24. In the meantime we wanted to give you a taste of what’s available. Read more.

Opensource.com: OpenStack Icehouse brings new features for the enterprise
Deploying an open source enterprise cloud just got a little bit easier yesterday with the release of the newest version of the OpenStack platform: Icehouse. To quote an email from OpenStack release manager Thierry Carrez announcing the release, "During this cycle we added a new integrated component (Trove), completed more than 350 feature blueprints, and fixed almost 3000 reported bugs in integrated projects alone!" Read more.

Opensource.com: TryStack makes OpenStack experimentation easy
Not everyone has a spare machine sitting around which meet the requirements of running a modern cloud server. Even if you do, sometimes you don't want to go through the entire installation and setup process just to experience something as an end user. TryStack is a free and easy way for users to try out OpenStack, and set up their own cloud with networking, storage, and computer instances. Read more.

Rackspace: Why We Craft OpenStack (Featuring Rackspace Software Developer Ed Leafe)
As OpenStack Summit Atlanta fast approaches, we wanted to dig deeper into the past, present and future of OpenStack. In this video series, we hear straight from some of OpenStack’s top contributors from Rackspace about how the fast-growing open source project has evolved, what it needs to continue thriving, what it means to them personally, and why they are active contributors. Watch the video.

SUSE: OpenStack Icehouse – Cool for Enterprises
OpenStack Icehouse has arrived with spring, but this ninth release of the leading open source project for building Infrastructure-as-a-Service clouds won’t melt under user demands. This is good, since user interest in OpenStack seems to know no limits as evidenced by the three new and sixteen total languages in which OpenStack Dashboard is now available. Read more.

The OpenStack Blog: Open Mic Spotlight: Joshua Hesketh
An interview with Joshua Hesketh, a software developer for Rackspace Australia working on upstream OpenStack. Read more.

The OpenStack Blog: Open Mic Spotlight: Simon Pasquier
An interview with Simon Pasquier, an OpenStack Active Technical Contributor. Read more.