Big Data:
Cloudera: Making Apache Spark Easier to Use in Java with Java 8
One of Apache Spark‘s main goals is to make big data applications easier to write. Spark has always had concise APIs in Scala and Python, but its Java API was verbose due to the lack of function expressions. With the addition of lambda expressions in Java 8, we’ve updated Spark’s API to transparently support these expressions, while staying compatible with old versions of Java. This new support will be available in Spark 1.0. Read more.

Cloudera: Hello, Apache Hadoop 2.4.0
Hadoop 2.4.0 includes myriad improvements to HDFS and MapReduce, including (but not limited to): ACL Support in HDFS — which allows, among other things, easier access to Apache Sentry-managed data by components that use it (already shipping in CDH 5.0.0), native support for rolling upgrades in HDFS (equivalent functionality already shipping inside CDH 4.5.0 and later), usage of protocol-buffers for HDFS FSImage for smooth operational upgrades… See full release notes.

Datameer: How-to: Import Excel Data (Even Existing Formula Results!) into Datameer
For this week’s Favorite Feature Friday, I wanted to show how easy it is to import Excel files into Datameer. Not only does Datameer read its raw data, but it also evaluates any existing formulas in the Excel sheet to pull those results in as well. Read more.

DevOps:
Ravello: Choosing a Central Logging Tool: 5 Important Features, 6 Optional Tools
We need to continually monitor our servers, production and dev environments. As our environments grow and scale out it becomes increasingly difficult to debug failures and crisis analysis requires multi SSH-ing to different servers. Therefore we wanted to be able to view all the logs for all our servers from one single entry point. We also wanted to be notified of abnormal activity in our logs, because we can’t sit and watch them all day long. Read more.

OpenStack:
Ben Nemec: My Devtest Workflow
I said in a previous post that I would write something up about my devtest workflow once I had it nailed down a bit more, and although it's an always-evolving thing, I think I've got a pretty good setup at this point so I figured I'd go ahead and write it up. Instead of including scripts and such here, I'm just going to link to my Github repo where all of this stuff is stored and reference those scripts in this post. Read more.

Cloudscaling: The Top Three Things To Bookmark for the Juno Summit
I can’t believe that it’s less than a month before the the upcoming Juno Summit. As you start putting together your plans for the Summit, I wanted to highlight some items to look forward to from the Cloudscaling team. Read more.

Cloudwatt: Deploy Horizon From Source With Apache And Ssl
Some companies may deploy OpenStack clouds but without the Horizon Dashboard interface, and therefore you may wish to deploy your own horizon instance, either on a hosted VM of the OpenStack infrastructure, or why not on your own computer? Read more.

ICCLab: Floating IPs management in Openstack
Openstack is generally well suited for typical use cases and there is hardly reasons to tinker with advance options and features available. Normally you would plan your public IP addresses usage and management well in advance, but if you are an experimental lab like ours, many a times things are handled in an ad-hoc manner. Recently, we ran into a unique problem which took us some time to figure out a solution. Read more.

Loic Dachary: HOWTO migrate an AMI from Essex to a bootable volume on Havana
A snapshot of an Essex OpenStack instance contains an AMI ext3 file system. It is rsync’ed to a partitioned volume in the Havana cluster. After installing grub from chroot, a new instance can be booted from the volume. Read more.

Opensource.com: Giving rise to the cloud with OpenStack Heat
Setting up an application server in the cloud isn't that hard if you're familiar with the tools and your application's requirements. But what if you needed to do it dozens or hundreds of times, maybe even in one day? Enter Heat, the OpenStack Orchestration project. Heat provides a templating system for rolling out infrastructure within OpenStack to automate the process and attach the right resources to each new instance of your application. To learn more about Heat, say hello to Steve Baker. Steve served as the Program Technical Lead (PTL) for the Heat project during the Icehouse release cycle and is a senior software engineer at Red Hat. Read more.

Opensource.com: How to govern a project on the scale of OpenStack
How an open source project is governed can matter just as much as the features it supports, the speed at which it runs, or the code that underlies it. Some open source projects have what we might call a "benevolent dictator for life." Others are outgrowths of corporate projects that, while open, still have their goals and code led by the company that manages it. And of course, there are thousands of projects out there that are written and managed by a single person or a small group of people for whom governance is less of an issue than insuring project sustainability. Read more.

Rackspace: Going Hybrid With vSphere And OpenStack
“OpenStack is on the cusp of major adoption.” How many times have you heard a vendor or analyst say that or some variation of it in the past 12 months? The fact is that many companies are still evaluating OpenStack and trying to determine how it should fit into their overall IT strategies. That should not be a surprise given the disruptive nature of a technology like cloud computing. Read more.

Rackspace: Why We Craft OpenStack
As OpenStack Summit Atlanta fast approaches, we wanted to dig deeper into the past, present and future of OpenStack. In this video series, we hear straight from some of OpenStack’s top contributors from Rackspace about how the fast-growing open source project has evolved, what it needs to continue thriving, what it means to them personally, and why they are active contributors. Read more.

Red Hat: What’s New in Icehouse Storage
The latest OpenStack 2014.1 release introduces many important new features across the OpenStack Storage services that includes an advanced block storage Quality of Service, a new API to support Disaster Recovery between OpenStack deployments, a new advanced Multi-Locations strategy for OpenStack Image service & many improvements to authentication, replication and metadata in OpenStack Object storage. Read more.

Red Hat: An Icehouse Sneak Peek – OpenStack Networking (Neutron)
Starting in the Folsom release, OpenStack Networking, then called Quantum, became a core and supported part of the OpenStack platform, and is considered to be one of the most exicting projects – with great innovation around network virtualization and software-defined networking (SDN). The general availability of Icehouse, the ninth release of OpenStack, is just around the corner, so I would like to highlight some of the key features and enhancements made by the contributors in the community to Neutron.Read more.

Red Hat: The Road To High Availability for OpenStack
Many organizations choose OpenStack for it’s distributed architecture and ability to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service environment for scale-out applications to run on top of it, for private on premise clouds or public clouds. It is quite common for OpenStack to run mission critical applications. OpenStack itself is commonly deployed in Controller/Network-Node/Computes layout where the controller runs management services such as nova-scheduler that determines how to dispatch compute resources, and Keystone service that handles authentication and authorization for all services. Read more.

Steve Hardy: Heat auth model updates - part 2 "Stack Domain Users"
As promised, here's the second part of my updates on the Heat auth model, following on from part 1 describing our use of Keystone trusts. This post will cover details of the recently implemented instance-users blueprint, which makes use of keystone domains to contain users related to credentials which are deployed inside instances created by heat. Read more.