Blog Group Posts
Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 8
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,858
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 227
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 66
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 9
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 511
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 4
Latest Blog Posts
  • Dell TechCenter

TechChat:Schedule Change! 4/8 APAC time: PowerEdge M1000E Chassis Management Controller

The TechChat scedule is changed to 4/8 The time is convinient for the participant in Asia Pacific Rigion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. We will holding a series of TechChat based on PowerEdge M100E Chassis Management Controller.

The 1st one is 1:00AM – 2:00AM (US Central) on 4/8 and agenda is

(i)           Single click all server update from CIFS/NFS directory built by Dell Repository Manager
    (ii)          Support for next generation fans and Enhanced Cooling Mode option for increased airflow

We are welcome to have everyone to join this Chat (TechChart)

PowerEdgeM1000e Chassis Management Controller firmware version 4.5

You don’t have to provide your detailed information Just have your name (or Nickname) and Enter as a Guest!

The time is

• Australia(Sydney)              5:00PM-6:00PM
    • Japan:                              3:00PM –  4:00PM
    • China/Singapore/Malaysia   2:00PM – 3:00PM
    • India                              11:30AM to 12:30PM

For more info on CMC: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1987.dell-chassis-management-controller.aspx

• SharePoint for All

Creating a Custom Report in Notes Migrator for Sharepoint

I am providing details on how to create a custom report on Notes Migrator for SharePoint. I will show what software needs to be installed and how I start to create a report. I believe that readers will find it easy to create reports if they have similar experience with Microsoft Access and / or Microsoft SQL. As always, I try to show the key steps and configurations along the way. I will also include links to custom reports that I recently created.

Download the attached PDF document for the complete details.

I updated the information regarding installing Report Viewer in September, 2014.

You must install the .NET Framework Redistributable Package version 3.5 (or later version).

You need to install the Microsoft® System CLR Types for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012

Package

Filename

URL

X86 Package

SQLSysClrTypes.msi

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=239643&clcid=0x409

X64 Package

SQLSysClrTypes.msi

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=239644&clcid=0x409

And then install the Report Viewer 2012 runtime package

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35747

Randy Rempel

Senior Product Manager

• Dell TechCenter

Dell Open Source Ecosystem Digest #40

Big Data:
    Cloudera: How-to: Use Parquet with Impala, Hive, Pig, and MapReduce
    An open source project co-founded by Twitter and Cloudera, Parquet was designed from the ground up as a state-of-the-art, general-purpose, columnar file format for the Apache Hadoop ecosystem. In particular, Parquet has several features that make it highly suited to use with Cloudera Impala for data warehouse-style operations. Read more.

Cloudera: Letting It Flow with Spark Streaming
    Apache Spark is a fast and general framework for large-scale data processing, with a programming model that supports building applications that would be more complex or less feasible using conventional MapReduce. (Spark ships inside Cloudera Enterprise 5, and is already supported for use with CDH 4.4 and later.) With an in-memory persistent storage abstraction, Spark supports complete MapReduce functionality without the long execution times required by things like data replication, disk I/O, and serialization. Read more.

Datameer: Introducing Datameer 4.0: The Flip Side to Big Data
    Some people look at data and see integers, booleans and strings. When I look at data, I always wonder what story is behind it. In the past few years, we have worked hard to implement our vision of shrinking the gap between the technical experts who are able to work with the data and the subject-matter experts who actually need to use it. Read more.

DevOps:
    Apprenda: On Switching from Dev to Testing 
    I’ve been a .NET developer here at Apprenda for about two and a half years now. In that time, I have had the pleasure of working with our phenomenal dev team, learned new technologies, and built / improved upon our remarkable product. However, for this next release cycle, I have (willingly) put on a different hat and moved to the other side of the R&D wall to become a Senior Test Engineer. I will now pause so any developers reading this can catch their breath and process that information. Read more.

Inktank: New 10-Minute Ceph Webinar Series
    We know time is at a premium, and we also know there’s a thirst for Ceph knowledge. That’s why we’ve put together a series of 10-minute, on-demand webinars designed both to fit into hectic schedules and to deliver the targeted Ceph information you’re looking for. Read more.

Ravello: The Modern Test Lab, Part 3 – Build the Lab Team
    The R&D team has undergone major changes in recent years. Flexibility, agility and speed are crucial for software delivery. These changes impact on the individual test lab member. The test or QA engineer position has become more influential and dominant within the R&D team. Read more.

OpenStack:
    Anne Gentle: How to Build OpenStack Docs and Contributors through Community
    I’m well past the three year mark, working on a new open source project that grows and grows every six months. I’ve been working closely with Diane Fleming at Rackspace to focus completely on upstream OpenStack. Upstream means that all of our documentation work goes to the open source project itself. So while Rackspace runs OpenStack in production and for our customers private clouds, Diane and I focus on documentation that helps any organization run and use OpenStack. We have put together an outline of what we do to make upstream OpenStack documentation better all the time. Read more.

Ben Nemec: OpenStack Development System Setup
    I've been meaning to write something up about how I set up my OpenStack development environment because there are some handy things you can do before you even get started that will likely save you some hassle down the line. I've recently discovered that there are rather varied ways other people are doing this sort of thing, so keep in mind that this isn't the "right" way, it isn't the best way, but it's what works for me. Read more.

Ben Nemec: Using pypi-mirror with devtest
    A full run of TripleO's devtest takes a long time - around an hour or more on my i7/16GB box even with a hot squid cache. Quite a bit of the time is spent building images, and there are a few ways to speed that up, some of which are easier than others. Read more.

Boden Russell: OpenStack nova boot server call diagram
    The OpenStack architecture consists of multiple distributed services which often work together to carry out a single logical operation. Given the nature of this architecture, getting up to speed on the call flows and interactions can be a daunting task for developers and operational admins alike. Read more.

Canonical: An insight into supporting OpenStack
    It is pretty well known that most of the OpenStack clouds running in production today are based on Ubuntu. Companies like Comcast, NTT, Deutsch Telekom, Bloomberg and HP all trust Ubuntu Server as the right platform to run OpenStack. A fair proportion of the Ubuntu OpenStack users out there also engage Canonical to provide them with technical support, not only for Ubuntu Server but OpenStack itself. Canonical provides full Enterprise class support for both Ubuntu and OpenStack and has been supporting some of the largest, most demanding customers and their OpenStack clouds since early 2011. This gives us a unique insight into what it takes to support a production OpenStack environment. Read more.

Liz Blanchard: Running a Baseline Usability Test on Horizon
    Over the last few months, I’ve been working with a group of folks from multiple companies on doing research around building a set of Personas to present at the Atlanta Summit. In one of our first meetings, we talked about the need to do some usability testing as a separate effort from the Persona research. Earlier this month, a few of the folks from HP mentioned that they were hoping to run a usability test on the most recent (Icehouse) version of Horizon. This would be the first usability test within the community that I’m aware of and I was super excited that they were willing to let those of us interested to be a part of this testing effort. Read more.

Mat Fischer: Keystone: User Enabled Emulation can lead to bad performance
    An update on my previous post about User Enabled Emulation, tl;dr, don’t use it. It’s slow. Here’s what I found. Read more.

Opensource.com: A sneak peek of OpenStack Icehouse
    It seems like it was only yesterday that the OpenStack community found itself gathering in Hong Kong to set the design goals for the Icehouse release. As we entered March development was still progressing at a fever pitch in the lead up to the feature freeze for the release but now the dust has started to settle and we are able to start getting a real feel for what OpenStack users and operators can look forward to in the Icehouse release. Read more.

The OpenStack Blog: Open Mic Spotlight: Sascha Peilicke
    An interview with Sascha Peilicke, a cloud software engineer for SUSE, where he works on the company’s OpenStack, Crowbar and SUSE Cloud business areas. He is also an open SUSE community member, core contributor and package/maintenance update reviewer. Read more.

The OpenStack Blog: Open Mic Spotlight: Charles Beadnall
    An interview with Charles Beadnall, VP of Engineering at GoDaddy, previously responsible for the ad and personalization platform at Yahoo!, and before that was in charge of infrastructure at Metaweb, and systems architecture at VeriSign. Read more.

• SharePoint for All

Learn what @DellSoftware customers have to say about Dell #SharePoint migration solutions

Have you ever wondered how Dell Software's SharePoint migration customers around the world are using the product? What are the key use cases? What are the key benefits customers are experiencing?

Well, we recently asked our third party customer validation organization, TechValidate, to survey our SharePoint migration customers around the world. Here is the overwhelming response:

• 344 customers responded
    • 40 case studies
    • 33 charts, graphs, quotes

And you have access to all of this!

• Why Dell Software for SharePoint migration—Showcases the key benefits that our customers experience
    • By Industry Testimonial—Browse testimonials by vertical such as Health Care & Pharmaceuticals, Energy & Utilities, Banking & Financial services, Computer & Telecommunications Services and Government
    • By Migration Scenario—Browse testimonials based on migration scenario (SharePoint 2013, Office 365, legacy SharePoint, Windows file shares and Exchange Public Folders)

Here is an example of what our customers are saying:

• Dell TechCenter

TechChat Next Week! (4/2) PowerEdge M1000E Chassis Management Controller

Hello everyone. We are holding a series of TechChat based on PowerEdge M100E Chassis Management Controller.

The 2nd one is 1:00AM – 2:00AM (US Central) on 4/2. and good thing is that the time is very convinient for Audience in Asia Pacific region.

• Australia(Sydney)  5:00PM-6:00PM
    • Japan: 3:00PM –  4:00PM
    • China/Singapore/Malaysia 2:00PM – 3:00PM
    • India   11:30AM to 12:30PM

The Agenda is

(i)           Single click all server update from CIFS/NFS directory built by Dell Repository Manager
    (ii)          Support for next generation fans and Enhanced Cooling Mode option for increased airflow

We are welcome to have everyone to join this Chat (TechChart)

PowerEdgeM1000e Chassis Management Controller firmware version 4.5

You don’t have to provide your detailed information Just have your name (or Nickname) and Enter as a Guest!

Click below to join!

clip_image001

For more info on CMC: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1987.dell-chassis-management-controller.aspx

• General HPC

NCSA's iForge Helps Manufacturers Innovate

by Onur Celebioglu

For many years, high performance computing has been an integral part of manufacturing  - especially among the largest and most influential companies. These companies typically employ common numerical analysis techniques such as finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to simulate their designs and shorten product development cycles.  HPC infrastructure at these companies are geared to improve uptime and support production jobs. Therefore, production runs often take precedence to experimenting with new architectures and approaches, thus impeding innovation.

However, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) has had an exciting solution to remedy this for the past three years: iForge, "a pared down, but finely tuned cluster specifically built to address the experimental needs of the 'power users' at leading manufacturing companies," as a recent story in HPCwire about the cluster described it.

In the HPCwire story, Merle Giles, the head of the private sector program and economic development initiatives at NCSA, says the iForge cluster is designed for large-scale manufacturers using it to test and deploy important code on some of the newest hardware available.  The iForge configuration includes:

• Ivy Bridge Xeon E5 v2 2680 10-core CPU, 3.2 GHz 25 MB L3 Cache
    • Abu Dhabi Opteron 6380 8-core CPU, 3.4 GHz 16 MB L3 Cache
    • Ivy Bridge Xeon E7 v2 4890 15-core CPU, 3.2 GHz 37.5 MB L3 Cache
    • 128 dual-socket Intel blades (Dell PowerEdge M620)
    • A total of 163 total nodes, and 3,516 total cores

iForge's constant upgrades over the past three years have been necessary to continue offering the new architecture to those manufacturers it targets. Additionally, employing blades allows for simpler upgrades since they do not require changes in the entire cabling infrastructure. While power users take advantage of new architectures offered by the iForge cluster to optimize and evaluate their codes - rather than placing additional burden on their own clusters - the users also provide important feedback that the iForge team shares with system vendors.   

With the funds raised from the fees the NCSA charges for cores being used for production runs, the system can be continually refreshed and expanded. And that's a win-win for everyone.

• General HPC

South African Student Cluster Team Visits Austin

by Munira Hussain

Last year, Dell welcomed and hosted eight promising students from South Africa that made HPC history. The group representing universities from across the Republic of South Africa became the first team from the African continent to compete at the International Supercomputing Conference. But they didn't stop there. Team South Africa went on to win the Student Cluster Competition at ISC13 against some formidable teams from around the world!

This year, a new team has earned the honor of defending South Africa's title at ISC14.  Four members of the winning team are joined by the "top" competitors from the "runner up" teams.

Like their colleagues last year, Team South Africa recently had an opportunity to visit Austin as guests of Dell. During their visit, the student team was able to visit the Dell Global Solutions Engineering (GSE) Lab where they engaged with the engineers to learn about HPC Solutions. They utilized their time to gain a competitive edge on various HPC technologies and hence fine tune their architectural design and implementation. The team gained exposure and guidance on handling cluster challenges that would help overcome some of the competition restraints and optimize the performance.  Some of the areas of concentration that the group of students worked with during their visit included:

• Discussed deployment methodologies and feature sets of software solution stacks, imaging and provisioning, and understanding the advantages and disadvantages of using diskless versus boot of local disk.
    • Configured and set up a cluster "from scratch" and ran LINPACK to gather power measurements, using Idrac and a power meter strip.
    • Discussed  performance data on micro benchmarks and various CFD, manufacturing, life science and weather simulation application characteristics. Also gathered best practices on BIOS tuning parameters, compilation and tuning parameters, and power consumption options.
    • Learned about GPU and Accelerator studies on supported configuration, performance impact and power consumption options, and received recommendations for configuring power caps on GPUs to attain respective Gflops.
    • Gained a better understanding  of bottlenecks in I/O performance in respect to storage as well as network and parallel file system configurations in HPC clusters. They were provided with performance optimization and best practices for tuning I/O on various interconnects for storage solutions.
    • Spent time with the System Performance Analysis team to gain a better understanding of benchmarking and tuning on a single server.

The students also visited the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) where they had the chance to learn and see the Top 500 Dell HPC Stampede Cluster.  You can read more about their visit to TACC here.

It was a busy trip for these young people, and an honor to host them. We all wish this latest team from South Africa the very best of luck at ISC14 and throughout what promises to be successful careers!

• Dell TechCenter

Take the migraines out of your Windows 7 migration with Dell Software and VMWare

With Microsoft support for Windows XP ending on April 8, many legacy users are dreading the change. Thinking about the days needed to move applications, the risks of human error, and fears about data being lost are enough to keep IT managers up at night — and to delay migrations as long as possible.

Dell Software and VMware® are working together to take the pain out of the migration process. Now you can use Dell™ ChangeBASE, and VMware Horizon Mirage™ in an automated approach to simplify the process and reduce the risks of migration.

Join us for a live webinar on 8th April to see these tools in action and learn more from Sachin Sharma, Product Marketing Manager at VMWare and Mike Gray, ChangeBASE Sales Manager at Dell Software.

During this webinar, you’ll learn how you can:

•          Reduce risk and avoid devastating, irrecoverable data loss.
    •          Increase productivity and optimize performance with less down time.
    •          Reduce costs and decrease the need for manual-migration labor and licensing fees.
    •          Save up to 40–50% of your time by utilizing Dell and VMware migration tools.
    •          Simplify your migration by automating up to 95% of the process and receiving step-by-step instructions for any applications requiring manual migration.

Skip the headaches. Leave the pain relievers in the medicine cabinet. Register for the webinar today!

https://software.dell.com/event/taking-the-migraines-out-of-migration862498/

We look forward to seeing you on 8th April 2014!

• Dell Cloud Blog

Dell Cloud Manager and Citrix CloudPlatform: agility and choice for your enterprise cloud computing environment

This week, Citrix is marking another milestone in the evolution of cloud computing with the release of Citrix CloudPlatform 4.3. The Dell Cloud Manager team has been working with the CloudPlatform team since the early days of cloud computing—going as far back to the days when we were called enStratus talking to a cloud platform created by a company then called VMOps. Both of us have gone through name changes and acquisitions since those days. Today, we are Dell Cloud Manager and VMOps (cloud.com) is Citrix CloudPlatform, but the principles behind our work together remain the same.

Back in 2009, the young enStratus—who at the time supported the “multi-cloud” world of AWS and Rackspace—became one of the first (if not the first) third-party solution to support the nascent cloud platform of VMOps. This support marked our entrance into the private cloud and cloud service provider market and introduced one of the key value propositions that still remains true in Dell Cloud Manager—the ability to deploy DCM behind your firewall and control the management plane for both your private and public cloud computing infrastructures.

Dell Cloud Manager is software that manages one or more public clouds or private cloud platforms like Citrix CloudPlatform. For the developer, Dell Cloud Manager represents a single tool for interacting simultaneously with their private CloudPlatform-based cloud and their public clouds like Amazon Web Services. For the IT operator, Dell Cloud Manager serves as a workload and workflow coordinator to ensure that the same IT policies and controls are applied across all cloud infrastructures that the company is leveraging.

enStratus/Enstratius/Dell Cloud Manager has gone to market together with VMOps/Cloud.com/Citrix CloudPlatform in customer environments in every release since our initial support.  We continue that tradition with the latest Apache CloudStack releases and, of course, Citrix CloudPlatform 4.3. As we roll out support for CloudPlatform 4.3, Dell Cloud Manager customers leveraging CloudPlatform will gain access to greater choice in interoperability with CloudPlatform support for  Hyper-V and third-party data center infrastructure that includes native support for compute, network, security, and storage components from Cisco, Juniper, and NetApp. 

When you combine the infrastructure choices that Citrix CloudPlatform enables with the cloud choices that Dell Cloud Manager enables, you end up with a proven, comprehensive public and private cloud computing strategy that avoids vendor lock-in.  You can then feel free to make the decision of where your cloud workloads go based on the performance and compliance needs of the workloads, not the whims of a virtualization or public cloud vendor.

For more details on the Citrix CloudPlatform 4.3 release, see:

Citrix CloudPlatform 4.3 is Now Generally Available

Accelerate and Extend Cloud Adoption with Citrix CloudPlatform 4.3 and Citrix Cloud Ecosystem Partner Solutions

• Dell TechCenter

Dell Software Continues Leadership in Exchange Migration & Management

This is a busy time of year for Dell Software – especially for those of us in the Windows Management solution area. Having just got back from great success at both the Microsoft Lync and SharePoint Conferences, we are now prepping for the Microsoft Exchange Conference (MEC) next week in Austin, Texas. We have a lot of exciting things planned for MEC including a Dell Solution Showcase where you can take part in focus groups, roadmap discussions, and get exclusive product demos of our newest solutions for Exchange and Office 365.

Dell has a long and successful history in offering Exchange solutions, having migrated more than 35 million mailboxes to Exchange, including more than 10 million mailboxes from Notes, GroupWise and Google. In 2013, several of our products were winners in the Windows IT Pro Community Choice Awards, and just today we announced a great new customer story that further solidifies our migration leadership position. Coats plc, the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, leveraged our migration solutions to complete a fast, seamless global migration of 7,500 users across 70 countries from IBM Notes to Office 365, in only five months and without disruption to the company’s day-to-day business activities.

Working with Microsoft and InfraScience, a member of Dell’s PartnerDirect program, Coats used Dell’s Notes Migrator for Exchange and Coexistence Manager for Notes to provide a seamless, cost-effective migration experience. Even with some mailboxes of up to 30 gigabytes in size, Coats’ users were migrated on schedule and without disruption. The solutions reduced the cost of the project significantly by automating migration processes and delivering a solid return on investment.

The key to executing a successful migration ─ whether it’s to a new platform, the cloud, or as part of a merger or acquisition ─ is to assemble the right team. Coats benefited from the team of Microsoft, InfraScience and Dell Software and was able to meet the company’s objective of enabling easy and cost-effective communication and collaboration across desktop and mobile devices, regardless of geographical location. This teamwork is a perfect example of the way we use our expertise and customer-centric approach to work with our partners to quickly address customers’ unique business challenges.

If you are attending MEC next week, be sure to stop by the Dell booth #101 and talk to us about how we help our customers ensure a successful migration and then get the most out of their new environment once they have completed the migration.

Learn more about this amazing customer story by reading today’s press release, Coats Chooses Dell Software Migration Solutions for Worldwide Move to Office 365, or check out the new video, Coats quickly migrates 7,500 users worldwide with Notes Dell Migrator for Exchange.