I am receiving a Java warning message when launching Virtual Console or Virtual Media with DRAC

I am receiving a Java warning message when launching Virtual Console or Virtual Media with DRAC

TechCenter

TechCenter
DellTechCenter.com is a community for IT professionals that focuses on Data Center and End User Computing best practices. Here you can learn about and share knowledge about Dell products and solutions.

This blog post has been written by Dave Collier and Doug Iler from the Dell iDRAC team

Oracle recently released an update to Java7 that may impact any DRAC5, iDRAC6 or iDRAC7 Enterprise features that use Java, such as Virtual Console and Virtual Media.  Users who have upgraded their Oracle Java installation to 7u45 or higher (possibly by allowing auto-updates to occur) may receive an additional warning message when launching these features.

This message is a notification only. If this message is received, click "Run" to continue to launch the Virtual Console or Virtual Media viewer (optionally, with the “Do not show this again…” box checked).

Alternately, restoring the previous Java version would also prevent the display of the message.  Please refer to the Oracle Java documentation on how to uninstall Java. After uninstalling, re-install Java 7 update 21 (or your preferred version).

Dell is working to provide a release of iDRAC firmware to resolve this issue and make it compatible with this and other upcoming Java7 upgrades.

Learn more about iDRAC7 at http://www.delltechcenter.com/iDRAC

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• For customers who are receiving this error and would like to continue to use the latest version of Java, please update your iDRAC7 firmware to version 1.51.51.   An update for iDRAC6 is scheduled for March.

• Please help spread the word!  For those of you who are using the automatic updates from Java, this pop up started taking effect yesterday.  Options include rolling back to an older version of Java, or upgrading your iDRAC7 firmware to 1.51.51.  For our iDRAC6 users, there is a firmware upgrade scheduled in March - and until then, you'll need to use an older version of Java.  My apologies for the inconvenience during this time.

• This statement: "This message is a notification only. If this message is received, click "Run" to continue to launch the Virtual Console or Virtual Media viewer (optionally, with the “Do not show this again…” box checked)."

IS NOT TRUE.  You will receive the following error on IDRAC6:  Unable to Launch the Application

Work Around:

Go to Control Panel > Java > Security

Click Edit Site List. . .  Then click Add and type the Location of the exception

In my case the exception is: https://rac.corp.loc

After clicking OK and saving the exception, the virtual console will initiate.

• Additionally,

Dragging the security bar to medium will allow all applications to run after the security warning is displayed.  FYI, my testing is done on Java 7.51

• You can reference the quick tip located here:

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

• When will DRAC 5 and older cards have a firmware update released?

• AM I the only one with the problem n my laptop wont allow me to logon...says the profile user name cannot load...I NEVER use my laptop! FU

• I cant pay dell another 130 bux to get me to logon it is ridiculous !!! I think dell has a way of locking computers to get more money

• @baillardca2 - While the java issue will affect DRAC5, there are no plans to re-open DRAC5 code to make the changes.  DRAC5 code has been frozen at EOL.  DRAC5 users will need to maintain an older version of Java.  

• @bernniep - I need to get more information from you in order to help.  I'm not quite clear what you mean the profile user name cannot load.  Is this related to the Java issue?  Please send me an email at doug_iler@dell.com so we can discuss directly.   Thanks -- Doug