TechCenter Blogs

Announcing the availability of the OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter version 2.0.

TechCenter

TechCenter
DellTechCenter.com is a community for IT professionals that focuses on Data Center and End User Computing best practices. Here you can learn about and share knowledge about Dell products and solutions.

Dell TechCenter

Dell IT solutions brought into focus, from the network edge to the heart of the data center.

Announcing the availability of the OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter version 2.0.

• Comments 27
Blog post written by Matthew Paul and Kaushal Gala

On behalf of the entire OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter team, below are the highlights of our latest release:

• First, we have renamed the product from the Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter to the OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter
  • Second, created an entirely new user interface supporting the vSphere Web Client.
    • Customers can now use Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome to manage PowerEdge servers in the vSphere environment.
    • Intelligent OpenManage integration points that provide PowerEdge details where customers expect them to be.
    • Both the vSphere desktop and Web clients are supported with a single appliance
    • Providing customer piece of mind demonstrating that their workloads and hypervisor is protected even from a memory fault.
  • Finally, a new licensing mechanism
    • Making it much easier to add additional hosts
    • Enabling both three and five year subscriptions

Sr Product Manager - Matthew Paul providing an overview of the OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter

To access this update, a new OVF must be deployed. There is no in place RPM upgrade available. A migration is supported from versions 1.6 and 1.7.

In addition, a new license file is required to use 2.0.  All existing customers will receive an email with their license file(s) attached and instructions on how to get the new appliance.  These emails will be going out the first week of November.  For license assistance after the first week of November contact download_software@dell.com 

A 5 host 90 day evaluation version is available at 90 day eval.  View details of the release in the OpenManage Integration 2.0 documentation. For additional information including white papers and how to videos visit the OpenManage Integration for VMware vCenter community website.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• The upgrade process is relatively straightforward, but there are two minor issues;

1) The update repository path has not been updated to reflect version 2.0

2) Both version of the plugin are listed in vCenter (so you get two dell icons). You need to close your vSphere client and login again to resolve this.

For the first point, you see the following in the applicance portal;

Current Virtual Appliance Version  2.0.0.1259  

Available Virtual Appliance Version  1.7.0.19  

Update Repository Path  linux.dell.com/.../latest  

Default Update Repository  linux.dell.com/.../latest  

• I'm having issues post upgrade -  I get a message that "the firmware repository file does not exist or is invalid".

I have tried changing the repository and resetting it back to the Default - Dell Online (ftp.dell.com/.../Catalog.xml.gz) but this does not resolve the problem.  Any ideas?

• @EvanRowlett

We have a know documented issue with that error.

Issue 7: While running the Firmware Update wizard, at the datacenter or cluster level, an error message “The firmware repository file does not exist or is invalid.” may display. This may be due to a daily background process that was unable to download and cache the catalog file from the repository. This occurs if the catalog file is not reachable at the time the background process runs. .

Resolution/Workaround: After resolving any catalog connectivity issues that may exist, you can re-initiate the background process by changing the firmware repository location and then setting it back to the original location. Allow about 5 minutes for the background process to complete.

• @Matthew - I am seeing this issue at the host level, attempting to do firmware updates.  As noted in my post, I have already tried changing the firmware repository location and then setting it back.

I'd also note that you missed Jon's point - he did do the upgrade according to your documentation.  (backup , replace with new OVF, restore) After doing so, however, in the appliance web page (administration Console), under appliance management, in the section called "Appliance Update", you see the following:

Current Virtual Appliance Version 2.0.0.1259

Available Virtual Appliance Version 1.7.0.19

Note that the listed available version is showing the old version.

• @EvanRowlett - I talked to one of the developers and he has a couple ideas.

First – Check to ensure all hosts are compliant and have OMSA Events configured.  If the host has OMSA, it may still show as “unconfigured” in the .NET Compliance UI.  If they do, run the wizard to fix them.  Then rerun 1x1 FW wizard.

Second - Try an appliance reboot.  He remembers this showing up one or twice but they could not get a repro on it. The tester just rebooted the appliance and the problem went away.

If either fix the issue please let me know as I will open the bug again. If that doesn't do it a call into support is probably in order.  Give them a service tag of a server with Prosupport then when getting to the call director let them know you need help with VMware.  The experts are in the advanced virtualization queue.

• @Jon Munday - The \latest directory is what we used for appliances under version 1.51.  We need to leave this there so customers having older appliances have a chance to upgrade to 1.7 and get to 2.0.

If someone tries to update for 2.0 to 1.7 it will not work and a pop up will occur indicating there is not an update available.

When an update is available for 2.0 we will replace the content so the new version shows up for 2.0 users.

• @Matthew - An appliance reboot was one of the first things I tried. All of the hosts are compliant, have OMSA 7.3.0.2 installed on them.

I'll put in a call to support, try to get this sorted out.  All of our servers are under prosupport, so no problems there.  Kind of a frustrating upgrade.  This process used to work fine.

• Let us know what you find out.

• @EvanRowlett - send me an email at matthew_paul@dell.com and I'll see if I can get you in contact with the right folks.

• @EvanRowlett What version of IE are you using? I had major issues with IE10 in previous versions and had to downgrade to IE8 to get things working again ... just a thought?

• @Matthew - thanks, email is sent.

@Jon - I had no problems with IE 10 in the previous version (1.7).  Besides, I can look at the error log in the Dell Management Center (in the VSphere think client) and see that it shows an error - "The firmware repository does not exist or is invalid".  I just tried it from a machine with IE9, same problem.

On a call now with Dell support, if I find an answer, I'll post it here.

• I have the exact same issue as Jon Munday. Upgraded from v1.7 to 2.0 and restored. Have the same symptoms as everyone else.

Current Virtual Appliance Version  2.0.0.1259  

Available Virtual Appliance Version  1.7.0.19  

Update Repository Path  linux.dell.com/.../latest  

Default Update Repository  linux.dell.com/.../latest  

• Same here.

• I did try to change the path but none of the old ones would take. I ended up changing it to https which was allowed me to save the settings. After the reboot I changed it back to the initial path, waited sometime but still get the same error as everyone.

btw...the OpneMagane Integration plugin still shows ftp.dell.com as a repository in vCenter. I don't know if it's a left over from the previous version but it's a bit misleading especially considering all the issues.

• We are working on an update that will address this issue.  I’ll post the update path once available.  We should have this in less than a week.

In the meantime if you are using the repository manager or can set up a share with a valid catalog.xml here is a work around.

• Log on to the Appliance with user=readonly, pwd=admin password

• cd to /nfsstage/repository and leave the screen there to check it later

• From vSphere  Client->Management, select Dell Management Center icon

• From Settings, select Repository Location

• Select second radio button (not ftp.dell.com)

• Enter your valid NFS share location which contains catalog.xml file

• Switch to screen from step 2 to make sure the fw_repository.xml file is created before proceed

• After catalog file is created, go back to Settings->Repository Location screen and select ftp.dell.com

• Wait for 10minutes then retry FW update