Blog Group Posts
Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 8
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,858
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 227
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 66
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 9
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 511
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 4
Latest Blog Posts
  • Foglight for Databases

Quest is Now a Part of Dell!

And we couldn't be more excited!

Dell has now officially acquired Quest Software! With the acquisition of Quest, Dell brings to market industry-leading, differentiated, simplified and easy to manage solutions for customers worldwide. Quest provides critical components that expand, simplify and complement Dell’s software capabilities in systems management, security and business intelligence.

The same award-winning IT management products you already use are not changing, but will now strengthen Dell’s software capabilities and enable them to bring to market industry-leading, simplified and easy-to-manage solutions for customers worldwide. Quest is a strong strategic fit with Dell’s software group and our products extend their existing capabilities in systems management, security and business intelligence.

Dell and Quest share a similar view on emerging trends, believing that customers need to be able to quickly scale and adapt in order to meet changing needs and market dynamics. Together, we will enable IT organizations to simplify operations, maximize productivity and deliver faster results—

and the entire Quest team is excited about joining Dell.

For more information, check out the following documents:

Press Release

Letter to Quest Customers

Quest Customer FAQs

Letter to Quest Partners

Quest Partner FAQs

• SharePoint for All

Day 1 at Dell with the SharePoint products and it's full steam ahead

So finally the day has come. The Dell journey starts today. Just in case we weren't sure naturally a lot of our buildings were given a bit of a touch up overnight and if you meander on over to www.quest.com you will see that already a lot of the branding has been complete.

I wore the closest thing I had to Dell Blue and as we entered our offices today we were welcomed to the new normal.

It's customarily to indicate how excited one is on a day of an acquistion. Sometimes its true, sometimes its not. In this case the former is the case, I am truly excited, inspired and raring to go. I have already spent a lot of time with my new co workers on the Dell side and next week I will be in Round Rock most of the week as we turn this baby up to 11.

Simply put, for the SharePoint group this by far one of the best things that has happened and I hope you join us at the SharePoint conference in November where we will knock your socks off.

Early this week I tweeted about a product demo I got from the dev team. We have been working day and night it seems since we got early access to the SharePoint 2013 bits and this was one of the things we were working on. There was a lot of high fives in the room and we begged marketing to let us share it, but they were right, wait for the right moment and now is not quite the time. We have small focused and effective teams, sorta like SWAT teams or SEALs in the sense that sometimes you can do a heck of a lot more with a team that is better trained, better synchronized and laser focused on the deliverable.That was one of those moments and it seems like in the last 2 years we have been having a lot more of these moments.

So you will get a chance to see what we are brewing, just not quite yet! In the meanwhile, we had our free 2013 migration tools out as soon as the preview dropped and we have been doing a number of production migrations and if you continue to follow us here on sharepointforall.com you'll get previews and updates as soon as we can get them to you.

As we ramp up with increased investment from Dell expect to see us flex our increased muscle quite a bit more and please continue to go down this journey with us. Like every airline flight I ever take starts and ends with, we know that you have a choice in software vendor, and we appreciate you doing business with us. So sit back, relax and enjoy the flight.

• Dell TechCenter

SAP HANA – Core Architecture

SAP HANA – Core Architecture

This post was written by Nicholas Chavez (Business Intelligence & Analytic Solutions SAP HANA Consulting Lead), Mike Lampa (Director, Business Intelligence & Analytic Solutions) and Kay Somers (Dell Global Alliances)

In this first post in our HANA Solutioning Series, we will focus on the SAP HANA Architecture. We’ll get into the solution design implications on the HANA architecture with regard to Data Provisioning, Data Modeling, Reporting and User Management later in the series.

Our introductory blog post talked about SAP HANA architecture at the 50,000 foot fighter-plane-altitude. Now, let’s dig into the details. 

SAP HANA Architecture Overview

The SAP HANA Database was developed primarily in JAVA and C++, designed to run on the SUSE Linux Operating System. The diagram below provides a high-level view of the SAP HANA Application Software and its associative functions:

Key architecture components include:

• Client Applications– SAP HANA can accommodate multiple clients across multiple instances to provide access to useful data across a number of related applications.
      • SAP HANA can also connect via an optional module (XS Engine) to a Client Application via HTTP/S.  This is helpful for obtaining third-party data or data from disparate locations.
      • It is currently not recommended to attach more than one ERP per instance of SAP HANA due to potential for table name replication (SAP HANA Database is a non-locking database).
    • Index Server – The Index Server contains the actual data and engines to process the data. (This is where most of the SAP HANA magic happens. Learn more about the Index Server components below.)
    • Pre-Processor Server – The Index Server utilizes the Pre-Processor Server to analyze text data and extract data from text when called via the Search function.
    • Statistical Server – The Statistical Server will analyze and present status, performance and metrics from all SAP HANA Database components listed here, as well as the underlying hardware and OS.
    • Name Server - The Topology of the SAP HANA Database is recorded here.  In a multi-server SAP HANA distributed landscape, the Name Server will record which data is on which server to decrease time associated with re-indexing. Below please find an example of what a multi-server SAP HANA Distributed Landscape would look like:
    • XS Engine – Client applications can use HTTP to transmit data via the optional XS Engine which uses SAP ICM for HTTP server. This module provides access to the SAP HANA DB by transforming the persistence model stored in the DB into a consumption model for clients exposed via HTTP.  This allows an organization to host system services that are part of the SAP HANA Database (ex. Search service, built-in web server that provides access to static content in the REPOSITORY)

The SAP HANA Power House – More about the Index Server

The SAP HANA Index Server contains what is arguably the majority of the magic behind SAP HANA. Below, we outline the inner-workings of the Index Server and how it powers robust SAP HANA analytics.

The SAP HANA Index Server performs 7 key functions to accelerate and optimize analytics. Together, these functions provide robust security and data protection and enhanced data access.

• Connection and Session Management – This component initializes and manages sessions and connections for the SAP HANA Database using pre-established Session Parameters. SAP has long been known for excellence in session management through its integration of SAPRouter into the SAPGUI product used as a front end for accessing the ABAP stack.  SAP HANA retains the ability to configure Connection and Session management parameters to accommodate complex security and data transfer policies instituted.
    • Authentication – User and role-based privileges are authenticated by the SAP HANA Database. (The Users, Authorizations and Roles within the SAP ERP system are not applicable or transportable to the SAP HANA instance.) The SAP HANA authentication model allows granting of privileges to users or roles, and a privilege grants the right to perform a specified SQL operation on a specific Object. SAP HANA also utilizes a set of Analytic Privileges that represent filters or hierarchy drilldown limitations for analytic queries to protect sensitive data from unauthorized users. This model enforces “Segregation of Duty” for clients that have regulatory requirements for the security of data.
    • SQL Processor – The SQL Processor segments data queries and directs them to specialty query processing engines for optimized performance. It also ensures that SQL statements are accurately authored and provides some error handling to make queries more efficient. The SQL processor contains several engines and processors that optimize query execution:
      • The Multidimensional Expressions (MDX) Engine is queries and manipulates the multidimensional data stored in OLAP (OnLine Analytical Processing) data cubes.
      • The Planning Engine enables the basic planning operations within the SAP HANA Database for financial planning operations.
      • The Stored Procedure Processor executes procedure calls for optimized processing without reinterpretation.  (e.g. converting a standard InfoCube into an SAP HANA Optimized Infocube)
      • The Calculation Engine converts data into Calculation Models and creates a Logical Execution Plans to support parallel processing.
    • Relational Stores – SAP has further segmented the storage of In-Memory data into compartments within memory for speedier access.  Data not needed immediately is stored on a Physical Disk as opposed to RAM.  This allows quick access to the most relevant data. The SAP HANA Database houses four relational stores that optimize query performance:

• The Row Store stores data in a row-type fashion and is optimized for high performance of write operation, and is derived from the P-Time "In Memory System" which was acquired by SAP in 2005.  The Row Store is held fully in RAM.
        • The Column Store stores data in a column-type fashion and is optimized for high performance of write operation, and is derived from TREX (Text Retrieval and Extraction)  which was unveiled by SAP in the SAP NetWeaver Search and Classification product.  This technology was further developed into a full relational column based store.  The Column Store is held fully in RAM.
        • The Object Store is an integration of SAP Live Cache Technology into the SAP HANA Database.
        • The Disk Based Store is used for data that does not need to be held in memory and is best used for "tracing data" or old data that is no longer used.  Disk Based Store is located on a hard disk is pulled into RAM as needed.
      • Transaction Manager – The SAP HANA Database processes individual SQL statements as transactions.  The Transaction Manager controls and coordinates transactions and sends relevant data to appropriate engines and to the Persistence Layer. This segmentation simplifies administration and troubleshooting.
      • Persistence Layer – The Persistence Layer provides built-in disaster recovery for the SAP HANA Database. The algorithms and technology is based on concepts pioneered by MAX DB and ensures that the database is restored to the most recent committed state after a planned or unplanned restart.  Backups are stored as Save Points in the Data Volumes via a Save Point Coordinator which is typically set to backup every five to ten minutes.  Any change points that occur after a save point are designated as un-committed transactions and are stored in the Transaction Log Volume.  Typically, these volumes are saved to media and shipped offsite for a cold-backup disaster recovery remedy.
      • Repository - The Repository manages the versioning of Metadata Objects such as Attribute, Analytic Views and Stored Procedure.  It also enables the import and export of Repository content.

Final Thoughts

If you stuck with us through that full description, you now have a solid understanding of the SAP HANA Application Software.

In our next blog post, we will discuss how this architecture is enabled by Data Provisioning, including the different methods of Data Provisioning and how they might apply to your specific solution set!

Check out our entire SAP HANA Architecture blog series on Dell Tech Center.

Learn more about Dell and SAP HANA solutions at www.dell.com/hana

• vWorkspace - Blog

Dell vWorkspace - A Bright Future!

A number of industry commentators, partners and customers have speculated on what the future is for vWorkspace inside Dell, and I’d like to take this opportunity to provide some clarity. Dell is acquiring Quest for its 200+ software solutions in many different solution areas, including Identity and Access Management, Windows Management, Database Management and, of course, User Workspace Management (UWM) for which I run Product Management.

Inside UWM we have 4 major product groupings:

• The ScriptLogic Desktop Management products, including Desktop Authority, Help Desk and Asset Manager
      • ChangeBASE, for analysis and preparation of Windows applications when migrating to Windows 7, 8, VDI/Terminal Server and App Virtualization
      • vWorkspace (which was temporarily renamed Quest Workspace Desktop Virtualization), which is a complete desktop virtualization management solution for both VDI and Terminal Server, and is especially optimized for use with Hyper-V
      • RemoteScan, which I refer to as a universal scanner driver to make scanning and imaging devices “just work” with applications published from Terminal Servers and VDI, including vWorkspace, Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop and VMware View

All of these product groupings have new, exciting opportunities for growth and development inside Dell, and will be exposed to much wider audiences and new routes to market as part of a huge organization with massive reach. In particular, vWorkspace will sit alongside Dell’s desktop virtualization offerings from its partners – Citrix, VMware and Desktone – creating the most complete set of solutions available in the market, covering organizations of all sizes from the smallest to the largest, available both hosted and on-premise.

As part of Dell’s fast-growing software business, we see a bright future for vWorkspace and other UWM products! In the near term we will be releasing a Reference Architecture for vWorkspace, with a view to marketing turnkey hardware-and- software bundles that make vWorkspace easier to try and deploy, and delivering amazing performance with less effort and lower cost. Of course, we will continue to support other platforms and partners and expand vWorkspace’s position in the market. More news to follow, but that’s all for today…

Jon

• SharePoint for All

Same Faces, New Shirts: Thousands of @Quest Folks #Migrated to @Dell

Well, that was interesting.

In case you haven’t heard, Dell has acquired Quest Software. This event was announced over the summer and believe me, both sides have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger working to make this thing as smooth and uneventful as possible for you guys – our customers. But before I jump to the approved corporate blurbs for this thing, I’d like to take a few moments and provide some personal context.

I started at here in Columbus with Aelita in 2001. In fact, September 4 – exactly seven days before 9/11. I remember speaking that day with my wife who was still living with our two kids in Cincinnati (she had yet to relocate). Scary times but we made it through.

A few years later (2004 - has it been that long?) after growing Aelita quite nicely thank you very much, the big bad Quest Software, our arch-nemesis, swooped in and acquired us. Only a funny thing happened on the way to the bank. I actually met some really cool and interesting people. I met Doug Davis during those first days. And Shawn Holmesdale and Steve Dickson. And a handful of other true professionals that have since moved on. As a combined organization, we worked swimmingly together and I recall that during our first year, we absolutely crushed our revenue target. It was then that Quest was firmly planted as THE provider of migration and management tools for the Windows environments.

Along the way, Quest acquired a host of other companies solidifying its place as a software juggernaut. Some of those companies include Vintela, ScriptLogic, NetPro, Symlabs and BiTKOO just to name a few.

Then 2012 happened and the tables were turned – Dell had decided to acquire Quest.

For many of us, this was not our first acquisition; however, for some it was the first time being acquired and for others, like me, it had been a long time since I was acquired. And I have to say, it’s been, on the whole, a very positive ride, reminiscent of the time Quest acquired Aelita. The folks I have met from Dell over the past several months have been positive, professional, intelligent and engaged. I was speaking with a colleague just yesterday about the entire process and commented, “I think the reason this process has gone so smoothly has been that the actual information has almost precisely matched the rumor mill.” In other words, never has anyone felt that there were any nefarious goals. It’s about combining forces to make a better experience for our customers – full stop. Simply stated, our joint resolution has been “do no harm” and I think you’ll find we’ve done a pretty fine job at it.

These last few days have been winsome (Scott Lang’s word – thanks). Yesterday, everyone in the Quest, er, rather, I mean, Dell Columbus office wore our Quest gear one last time and took a pic. I’ve included it here. But it’s not a sad time. We all, to a person, feel that when this door closes, another one with the label Dell has opened.

So come on in. I’m finding the water is warm. If you have questions, drop me an email, or reach out to your account exec. I’d like to say we have all the answers, but we don’t yet. However, I can guarantee that we’ll get back to you as fast as we can. You might want to check out some of our upcoming events where you can chat with your favorite Dell exec, product manager, partner manager or maybe meet someone new. I’ve included a list of upcoming events for your easy reference. And thanks for your patience as we emerge equipping you and your organization with the power to do more (see how I worked in the Dell tagline, clever, huh?).

Event Name

Product Focus

URL to learn more

TEC

Windows, Identity, Virtualization

http://www.theexpertsconference.com/

SharePoint Saturdays

SharePoint Solutions

http://communities.quest.com/docs/DOC-5458

Dell World 2012

All thing Dell

http://dellworld.com/

Migration Road Shows

All things migration for the Microsoft platform

http://www.quest.com/landing/?ID=7422

The Inside Track

All – Quest EMEA Solution Briefing

http://quest-conferences.com/europe/2012/theinsidetrack/

SharePoint Conference

All things SharePoint

http://www.mssharepointconference.com/
      Pages/default.aspx

• Dell TechCenter

EqualLogic Solution Supportability (Part 2)

Part 2 of 2

Communicating a Clear Support Policy

In the latest update to the VCL – we will be changing the name to the EqualLogic Compatibility Matrix (ECM) – we have expanded the information we are providing to include a multitude of new information including:

• Components we have tested together along with the FW and Drivers we tested together
      • FS Series NAS appliances to our ECM to provide you with information about what switches we have tested with that product for use in the “back-end” iSCSI network and what release of EqualLogic array software (firmware) we tested with the FS
      • DCB support for both switches and for 10GbE converged network adapters
      • List of “deprecated” switches that we are no longer testing and maintaining, but are still supported on a commercially reasonable effort
      • Expanded clarification of our EqualLogic Support Policy Statement

That last bullet deserves a little additional attention. With this blog post and release of the first ECM, we will be aligning the EqualLogic Support Policy Statement to the same model used by our Compellent product. What does that mean?

The support policy is a 3-tiered policy based on the data found in the Compatibility Matrix (and our interoperability test results). In a nutshell, the new support policy looks like this:

• Level 1: Full Contract Support

Devices listed as tested for interoperability in the EqualLogic Compatibility Matrix (ECM) will be supported together as long as all components have an active support contract.

• Level 2: Conditional Support

Devices “similar” to those that are listed in the ECM should work as well and will be supported under a conditional support policy.

• Level 3: Commercially Reasonable Effort (CRE) Support

Devices not listed in the ECM will be supported on a Commercially Reasonable Effort.

While the real support statement is not this simple–after all, the lawyers had to be involved in the official support statement– you should get the gist. For the full support statement, please download the new EqualLogic Compatibility Matrix from Dell TechCenter or review it here for more clarity.

Essentially, we are not changing the way we support EqualLogic solutions in any way. We will continue to help customers with any EqualLogic SAN–even those that have components that we have never heard of before.

Putting the new ECM and the new support statement to work, let’s look at an example. The figure below is an example of the ECM content. In this example, we are looking at the switch table. If you plan your SAN deployment to use a Force10 s55, on a new SAN, then you will get “Level 1” support if you are running 5.1 array and FTOS (switch FW) version 8.3.5.2.

What if you are running EqualLogic Array Software (Firmware) 4.3.x? Then you will fall into the “conditional support” level. That is, if you have a problem and call ProSupport, they may ask you to upgrade to array FW 5.1.x (or later) as a condition to fixing your issue. Again, this is really nothing new in terms of what ProSupport has always done in solving customer issues.

Lastly, if you decide to deploy your EqualLogic SAN using a switch that is NOT on the list, as long as your organization has an active support contract with the appropriate vendor(s) and an active EqualLogic support contract, Dell will provide EqualLogic solution support for any untested component of the configuration, until such time as it is determined, at Dell’s sole discretion, that a problem lies within the untested component(s) or the way it/they interoperate with Dell products.

Dell does not guarantee that the issue will be resolved in a timely fashion, or at all. There is a possibility that you would need to replace an untested component or take the affected system out of production to resolve the issues.

I hope that the new ECM and the updated support policy statement will help you in your SAN planning. Be assured that if you have already purchased and deployed your SAN, you will continue to get support as we have always provided it.…This new support statement really is nothing new in terms of what our great EqualLogic Support organization has been doing since the beginning. We have always strived to provide our customers with the best support possible. 

• Dell TechCenter

Improving EqualLogic Solution Supportability (Part 1)

Part 1 of 2

Defining the "Solution"

The term “solution” is a hotly debated term in the technology industry. What exactly is a “solution?” Is it the individual component? Is it a subset of components working together to provide a service? Is it the application–such as Exchange or SQL Server? Or is it the conglomeration of all of these definitions that coalesce to provide a resolution to a business problem such as data warehouse or an OLTP point of sale implementation or a virtual desktop infrastructure? All good questions. I think that all of these definitions are “solutions.” Therefore, whenever anyone talks about their “solution,” they should define the term clearly before the discussion can continue.

So, for this discussion, I am going to define the “solution” as “the set of components that must be connected and interoperate to provide a networked storage service based on the EqualLogic PS Series array technology platform.” Wow…that is a mouthful! We will call this “solution” the “EqualLogic SAN Solution.” This solution consists of:

• One or more PS Series arrays
      • At least two Ethernet switches
      • One or more hosts that will have:
        • At least two network interface controllers (NICs) connected to the SAN
        • A hardware or software iSCSI initiator
        • An operating system

Now that we have defined what type of solution we are discussing, there are a couple of challenges that face a solution provider and that affect you:

• Determining what works– and to some extent, how well those components work together.
      • Understanding how #1 affects the supportability of the EqualLogic storage solution (as defined above).

Determining What Works

We all would love for everything to work with everything else without any problems. It would be great if everyone who supported an “industry standard” actually fully supported the standard. It would be great if everyone implemented the iSCSI standard fully and accurately. Unfortunately, they don’t. For that reason, we test…and we test some more.

Dell has been conscious of this fact, and when we acquired EqualLogic we understood the extreme importance of storage to almost every computing solution being deployed. So, we quickly created a team and methodology for evaluating various components for their suitability for use within the EqualLogic solution. Over the past several years, we have published a list of the components that we have tested and deemed suitable for use within an EqualLogic SAN. This list, the Validated Components List for EqualLogic (VCL) has been instrumental in successful customer deployments.

Over time, we are continually looking at our testing methods and improving them to always ensure that we are growing with the industry. Over the last several years, new technologies such as Data Center Bridging (DCB) have been introduced that support new deployment models that were not available just 2 years ago. With Dell’s position as the industry leader in iSCSI SAN solutions, we are at the forefront of the iSCSI over DCB revolution. Other technologies such as multi-path switch interconnect technologies such as Virtual Link Trunking continue to require us to improve our testing.

• Dell TechCenter

Dell EqualLogic Configuration Guide ( ECG )Updated to version 13.3.

Hello EQL Family,

Since the EqualLogic Configuration Guide (ECG) is a valuable tool used in planning, deploying, and managing EqualLogic SANs,
      I am proud to announce that the EqualLogic Configuration Guide has been updated to version 13.3.

Link to latest version of ECG: EqualLogic Configuraiton Guide (ECG )

What’s changed from version 13.2 to the newest version, version 13.3

• Updated ECG to include the new PS-M4110 Storage Blade Array.
      • Updated Blade Integration information in section 4.7
      • Updated Section 2.4 RAID Policies
      • Updated sections 5, 6, and 7 to include FS7600/FS7610 ( Spartan 1.1)
                        and Fluid FS 2.0
      • Updated Controller Firmware Upgrade Path to Firmware 6.0.x
      • Corrected table 25 in Section 4.7.1.
        Deleted stack compatibility between 8024-k and 8024/8024F. They are not stack compatible
      • Added Section 2.5 Capacity Planning.
      • Added Section 3.10 Synchronous Replication (SyncRep)
      • Added Section 3.11 Internet Protocol Security (IPSEC)

Additionally, the new publishing schedule for the ECG will be on a quarterly basis.

To better enable us to manage content creation and review schedules to support the ECG,
      we will be publishing the ECG in the first month of each quarter. This will allow our engineering
      and marketing teams here in RR to focus on our best practices whitepaper creation and the ECG.

Look for next update to the ECG in November 2012.

It is our hope that this change will provide you better content to assist with building and managing iSCSI SANs for EqualLogic.

This configuration guide provides technical guidance for designing and implementing Dell EqualLogic PS Series storage solutions
      in iSCSI SAN environments. The goal of this guide is to provide a single reference for product technical information and recommended
      SAN and NAS design methods:

• Details on the capacity and capabilities of different EqualLogic PS Series family and FS Series family of NAS Appliances
      • An overview of the peer storage feature set provided by the EqualLogic storage controllers and the NAS feature set provided by the FS Series NAS Service
      • iSCSI SAN design guidelines for optimizing redundancy, availability and performance of EqualLogic storage arrays.
      • Host configuration guidelines and recommendations for Ethernet switch configuration

This document should be used strictly as a guide in planning an EqualLogic SAN solution. It should not be considered a statement of support for any specific configuration. 
      Actual viability of any configuration will depend on the capabilities of the individual components (switches, network interface controllers, initiators, etc.)
      that make up the SAN infrastructure.

This configuration guide is intended for storage administrators, SAN designers, storage consultants, or anyone who is considering purchasing or has
      purchased an EqualLogic PS Series Array(s) for use in a production storage area network.

Four major documents from EqualLogic Technical Marketing Team:

If you have recommendations or information that you would like to see in the ECG,
      feel free to leave comments or Email me and I would be happy to take those into consideration for the next update.

Twitter:    @GuyAtDell
      Email:      guy_westbrook@dell.com

Until next time,

Guy

Click here to access the Storage Infrastructure and Solutions  (SIS) Team publications library.
      Which has all of our Best Practice White Papers, Reference Architectures, and other EQL documents:

Have A Great Day 

• Dell TechCenter

Boot message "Lifecycle Controller update required" on PowerEdge servers with iDRAC Lifecycle Controller

Have you seen this message at boot time on PowerEdge servers?

If you have, it means Lifecycle Controller in iDRAC has gone into recovery mode as it experienced an internal error such as flash memory corruption or interruption during update process.

To restore Lifecycle Controller to normal operating mode, simply re-apply or upgrade the Lifecycle Controller firmware application.

If that does not work for you or you are looking for another option, you can apply the Lifecycle Controller "Repair Package".

If you need help with scripting the update, see this post.

• Dell TechCenter

FCoE Boot Configuration Setup on Intel Card

You may just got your SAN and want your server boot to Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) target. And wondering how?  Conventional methods  can be tedious and you may be struggling with all those manual setups and boring of pressing F2…and it becomes stressful repeating the same procedure 100 times for each server? Want to save time and make the setup automatically? 

Dell’s “iDRAC7 with Lifecycle Controller”, the second generation of embedded server management that comes with the 12th generation of Dell PowerEdge Servers, software is here to rescue and alleviate the pain and can easily get out all the mess helping you to programmatically  configure a network controller card for FCoE boot. 

The feature automates the booting process easy enough that you will have time for a cup of coffee.

Dell has published a whitepaper on FCoE Boot Configuration Setup on Intel Card

The white paper will guide you step by step to set up and boot to FCoE target with WSMAN/winrm commands. Get the scripts ready from Dell tech center and setting up is just an easy job.

You may be wondering what is in the paper, here is a summary of the workflow to setup FCoE boot on Intel’s network controllers.

1.       Fully Qualified device descriptor (FQDD) selection

2.       Device enablement

3.       FQDD check

4.       Link Status check

5.       FCoE boot enablement check

6.       Boot order check

7.       Configuration

a.       LegacyBootProto = FCoE

b.      ConnectFirstFCoETarget = Enabled

c.       FirstFCoEWWPNTarget = 12:34:56:78:90:ab:cd:ef (For example:50:0A:09:83:86:D7:E1:0E)

d.      FirstFCoEFCFVLANID = xxxx (For example: 1002)

e.      VirtWWPN = 12:34:56:78:90:ab:cd:ef (For example:20:00:00:1B:21:CE:8B:09)

By following these steps, you can use WSMAN / winrm commands to set up FCoE boot and boot to remote FCoE target.

See the full article in this whitepaper:

FCoE Boot Configuration Setup on Intel Card

iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller Technical Learning Series.