Hey everyone!  I wanted to let you all know that a new Technical Report was recently released called TR1020 EqualLogic™ PS Series Storage Arrays: Choosing a Member RAID Policy.  This is an updated Tech Report and discusses some of the new changes as well as some of the best
practices, recommendations, and performance guidelines to help you as the customer choose the best RAID type for your EqualLogic PS Series members.

You can download the new guide here: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dtcmedia/m/mediagallery/19861480/download.aspx

With the new version 6 Firmware for the PS Series SAN, there will be some changes for new arrays during configuration.  An excerpt from the doc discusses which options are available for configuration during setup for these new arrays:

RAID Policy

Configurable

in GUI

Configurable

in CLI

Best Practice for

Business Critical Data?

RAID 6

Yes

Yes

Yes

RAID 10

Yes

Yes

Yes

RAID 50

Yes

Yes

No for
  7200rpm drives 1TB and larger

Yes for
  other drives

RAID 5

No

Yes

No

One thing you’ll notice is that the new recommendation for Raid 5 for all business critical data on any drive type and Raid 50 on 7200 SATA/NLS drives 1TB and larger are no longer best practice. As drives get bigger and bigger, RAID sets take longer to rebuild and the performance and size benefit you get from these RAID levels don't outweight the higher risk to reliability versus RAID 10 or RAID 6.

This doesn’t mean that on an upgrade your existing environment will no longer be supported or not work but it does have some good information on performance characteristics of each RAID type as well as some across the board recommendations and best practices.

So have a look and download it, some great information out there!

As always, the disclaimer:  I work for Dell as a Product Solutions Engineer in the Nashua Design Center working on VMware integration with the EqualLogic PS Series SAN products. The views and discussions on this blog are my own and do not necessarily represent my Employer. The idea of this blog is to educate and entertain and hopefully it will accomplish that.

You can follow me on twitter at @VirtWillU or email me .

Until next time, keep it virtual.

-Will

See more of my posts on my landing page.

Also, check out Dell TechCenter for these videos and other content on EqualLogic.