TechCenter

Blogs

TechCenter

TechCenter
DellTechCenter.com is a community for IT professionals that focuses on Data Center and End User Computing best practices. Here you can learn about and share knowledge about Dell products and solutions.

Dell OpenManage Server Administrator 7.1 for Ubuntu

The OpenManage Server Administrator 7.1 for Ubuntu community-supported release is now available for download. For details about this release, please consult the release notes for the official release of OMSA 7.1:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/7.1/en/README/txt/readme_sa.txt

Check out what is new in OMSA 7.1 by going to the documentation page for the release:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SOFTWARE/omswrels/om71/index.htm

If you like this release and would like for Ubuntu builds of OpenManage System Administrator to be officially supported, please provide feedback by talking to your account manager or sales representative. Customer feedback is the best way to show your support for OpenManage for Ubuntu.

Where to Get It

To download and install OMSA 7.1, go to http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/deb/latest for detailed instructions.

Please join us on the linux-poweredge@lists.us.dell.com mailing list for support and feedback. You can sign up at <https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge>.

Like the previous OMSA for Ubuntu release, the apt repository for this release will be signed. This is the signing key that is used:

pub   4096R/34D8786F 2012-03-02
uid Dell Inc., PGRE 2012 (PG Release Engineering Build Group 2012) <PG_Release_Engineering@Dell.com>
sub 4096R/79DF80D8 2012-03-02

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• I've found a bug with OMSA that makes the "Systems Management Data Engine" not run on a R620 due to a "Failed to start because system is not supported". I posted about it here:

www.mindwerks.net/.../dell-dset-on-ubuntu

I've included a patch that works around the issue with /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/CheckSystemType but the real problem is with the /usr/sbin/smbios-sys-info-lite tool that cannot read the data with a R620. I've also tested on a R610 (same setup) and there are no problems.

Cheers,

Bret Curtis

• Hello, I have installed this onto an R910 running Ubuntu 12.04. Everything appears to have gone well with no errors. I have configured the omarolemap file and can login (and Admin is displayed under my username) however I am unable to see any details about the server.

All the sections are blank and under storage "no storage controllers detected" is displayed. When I access the logs the dsm_om_connsvc service appears to crash and needs to be restarted.

Any help on diagnosing this?

Thanks

• PCAU: I apologize for not replying sooner. I wasn't checking for responses to this blog post. If you can, please repost your question on the linux-poweredge mailing list (see the blog post for details if you're not already subscribed) with more details about the exact steps you followed to install and start OMSA, the contents of your omarolemap file and information about which PERC controller you have.

Bret: Sorry I didn't notice that you had also posted your question here. Just for the sake of others coming across your post, I'm adding a link here to the resolution we found for your particular case: lists.us.dell.com/.../046952.html

• I want to warn potential users that this version of OMSA do not see RAID controllers when VMWare workstation is installed. It reports that "No controllers found". The solution is to get LSI MegaRaid Administration package and copy libstorelibir-2.so.13.06-0 file to /opt/dell/srvadmin/lib folder renaming it to libstorelibir-2.so.8.06-0. That way library from MegaRaid Adminstrator will be used instead of library supplied as part of OMSA. This change completely solved my problem with H200 controller.

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for that tip. While most people won't be running VMware Workstation on PowerEdge, I'm sure that you are not the only one out there who does.

• I forgot to note that I responded to Bret's comment last fall on the linux-poweredge list, which he also emailed. For completeness, here is a link to part of that thread: lists.us.dell.com/.../046951.html