Application Performance Monitoring Blog Foglight APM 105
Blueprint for HPC - Blog Blueprint for High Performance Computing 0
CommAutoTestGroup - Blog CommAutoTestGroup 1
Custom Solutions Engineering Blog Custom Solutions Engineering 5
Data Security Data Security 8
Dell Big Data - Blog Dell Big Data 68
Dell Cloud Blog Cloud 42
Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions - Blog Dell Cloud OpenStack Solutions 0
Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM - Blog Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration for SCVMM 0
Dell Premier - Blog Dell Premier 3
Dell TechCenter TechCenter 1,854
Desktop Authority Desktop Authority 25
Featured Content - Blog Featured Content 0
Foglight for Databases Foglight for Databases 35
Foglight for Virtualization and Storage Management Virtualization Infrastructure Management 256
General HPC High Performance Computing 226
High Performance Computing - Blog High Performance Computing 35
Hotfixes vWorkspace 57
HPC Community Blogs High Performance Computing 27
HPC GPU Computing High Performance Computing 18
HPC Power and Cooling High Performance Computing 4
HPC Storage and File Systems High Performance Computing 21
Information Management Welcome to the Dell Software Information Management blog! Our top experts discuss big data, predictive analytics, database management, data replication, and more. Information Management 229
KACE Blog KACE 143
Life Sciences High Performance Computing 5
OMIMSSC - Blogs OMIMSSC 0
On Demand Services Dell On-Demand 3
Open Networking: The Whale that swallowed SDN TechCenter 0
Product Releases vWorkspace 13
Security - Blog Security 3
SharePoint for All SharePoint for All 388
Statistica Statistica 24
Systems Developed by and for Developers Dell Big Data 1
TechCenter News TechCenter Extras 47
The NFV Cloud Community Blog The NFV Cloud Community 0
Thought Leadership Service Provider Solutions 0
vWorkspace - Blog vWorkspace 510
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) - Blog Wyse Thin Clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (WIE10) 3
Latest Blog Posts
  • SharePoint for All

What do you remember about the first #spsat? How @michaellotter said they began:

Quest Software will be at the following SharePoint Saturdays this summer (and more as they are added!).

SharePoint Sat

Jun-30

Dayton

SharePoint Sat

Jul-7

Toronto

SharePoint Sat

Jul-28

NYC

SharePoint Sat

Jul-28

Louisville

SharePoint Sat

Aug-22

DC

SharePoint Sat

Sep-8

Ozarks

SharePoint Sat

Oct-27

Cincinnati

SharePoint Sat

Dec-8

UK

SharePoint Saturdays are a great place to network and learn about SharePoint from your peers, experts and MSFT MVPs. In fact, if you’ve heard of SharePoint, you’ve likely heard about or attended a SharePoint Saturday…Do you remember when they began?

It was a cold day (well, I assume it was cold!) toward the end of 2008 when Michael Lotter, Susan Lennon and Kevin Israel began planning the first event. In January of 2009, the very first SharePoint Saturday was born. It took place in Virginia Beach. Within one year, 32 events happened across the globe! The original idea was supposed to be a single event in NYC but, says Lotter, it turned into a “SharePoint Community Craze”. Now, there is rarely a Saturday that goes by that is “SharePoint free”. These events are put together by a non-profit organization – SharePoint Saturday.org. The people who put them together are volunteering their time and energy to make them happen…and it’s a lot of time and energy.

I think a thank you is in order here....Thank you to all of the volunteers, committees, organizers, speakers, sponsors, vendors and attendees. Thank you for taking time out to put on these amazing events and to continue to build on the strong networking and camaraderie that is the SharePoint Community. And, I hope to see you at a SharePoint Saturday soon!

We'd all love to hear your comments about SharePoint Saturday - please leave them below or contact me at michelle.fallon@quest.com and I'll add them!

• SharePoint for All

Migration Tip of The Week: Outlook Access Warning

Migration Suite uses Microsoft Outlook and your Outlook profile to enumerate and retrieve public folders and items. Depending on how Windows and Outlook are configured on the computer, you may see the following warning when accessing mail folders from the Connections pane:

It might not be easy to notice the window as it is not brought into the forefront, but instead blinks in the Task bar. You can allow access to Migration Suite temporarily using this window, but the longest period it can be suppressed is 10 minutes. Which is okay for a quick test, but becomes a pain for a larger production migrations.

The reason why this warning is displayed is the default Outlook setting that warns the user when a program tries to connect to Outlook programmatically and there is no or outdated antivirus on the computer to handle the potential threat.

To locate the setting, open Outlook Options , select Trust Center and click Trust Center Settings. Then select Programmatic Access:

You can switch off the feature completely for the time of migration, but installing/updating the antivirus software on the computer is not a bad idea either.

• vWorkspace - Blog

QWDV (vWorkspace) 7.6 Feature Spotlight – RDSH Provisioning and Automatic Application Publishing

One of the great new features that we introduced in vWorkspace 7.5 was the ability to (very) quickly deploy virtual Remote Desktop Session Hosts (RDSH)/Terminal servers using Quest’s Hyper-V Catalyst components HyperCache and HyperDeploy. You can find some more information on RDSH provisioning here

In Quest Workspace Desktop Virtualization 7.6 (QWDV and formally vWorkspace) we have improved this feature again. It’s on the surface a small change but it’s very helpful for the administrator especially if you have a large number of published applications. Now when we deploy new RDSH server we will automatically assign (publish) the existing published applications to the new deployed RDSH servers.

The video demonstrates the provisioning of virtual RDSH servers (in real time, 102 seconds) and the automatic publishing of the applications.

Learn more

During the next couple of weeks we will discuss these and all the other new functionality in much more detail right here on our blog, so make sure to stay tuned for that. In the mean while we understand that you will want to have a look for yourself. There’s nothing we would like more. Here are some things you can do to learn more:

• Dell TechCenter

Upgrade from Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0 to a later update using Dell Customized ESXi 5 ISO fails

This blog post is written by Kiran Poluri and Krishnaprasad K from Dell Hypervisor Engineering team.

When upgrading from Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0 to a later update using Dell customized VMware ESXi 5 ISO image, it fails with an error message as shown below.

This error occurs since the later versions of Dell customized VMware ESXi 5 ISO image carries different VIB name which provides the same set of files compared to Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0. The upgrade is not successful when you encounter this issue. Once you reboot from this error prompt, it rolls back to ESXi 5.0. There is no data loss or configuration loss due to this error. Follow one of the below methods to resolve the issue before upgrade or after the issue is seen.

Method1
                    From the ESXi 5.0 shell, run the following commands.
                               ~# esxcli software vib remove –n Dell-Configuration-VIB
                               ~# esxcli software vib remove –n Dell-License-VIB

Once the command execution is successful, start upgrading using Dell customized VMware ESXi 5 ISO.

Method2
                    Use VMware native ESXi 5 ISO image or VMware upgrade package to upgrade from Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0.

• SharePoint for All

Data leaks and document duplication in global #sharepoint ops #qsharepoint @cmcnulty2000

I was working on an upcoming presentation for next month’s SPTechCon in Boston, and I was reviewing some prior materials on SharePoint governance and security management.

SharePoint information architecture can be hard. When IA is done correctly, contexts and navigation flow smoothly. Users are more likely to put documents in the “right” place and keep them there. Conversely, if users aren’t sure where to put a new document or find an existing one, they may create their own version or add a new site. And the more points of entry you have the more places you may need to control or inspect for improper security. Native functions, and solutions like Quest’s Site Administrator for SharePoint can help catalog and rein in an unruly information architecture – but ultimately, this is an information governance question.

What occurs to me is the same problem on a large scale. It can become really convenient to add documents for convenience sake to multiple different areas. I’ve added extra documents to SharePoint Team Sites, My Sites, SkyDrive, and Drop Box as I’ve demoed different aspects for each for collaboration. And I noticed that, of course, I don’t keep all the copies in sync. It’s not really critical if all I need to do is shows the Word Web App client as part of SkyDrive.

In ordinary collaboration, many users inadvertently “extend” their IA when they share docs via e-mail. “I’ll just email it to myself so I can work from home this weekend” is a starting point. Pretty soon, versions of the same content are showing up in Office 365, corporate SharePoint, Google, Facebook, Drop Box, YouSendIt, etc. That’s not a bad thing – if you can remember where all the copies are.

And lets even suppose you have a handle on all the required user security for each of those locations. What could possibly go wrong?

Not all clouds are good clouds…

We may be “One World” on the Internet – but we are far, far away from One World of regulations. On one hand, we have applications of US-based regimes like HIPAA which mandate that certain classes of health related personal information cannot leave US controlled servers. And on the other hand, some non-US companies are careful to keep their corporate data away from US-based “cloud” services because of the international impact of USA PATRIOT and other regulatory regimes.

Clear guidance on intended usage helps. Information governance is as much about policy as enforcement. But sometimes the best approach is one that steers people toward “preferred” collaborative stores, so user behaviors don’t inadvertently create security or regulatory issues. (This is part of the rationale for our AttachThis solution, now in public beta.)

What do you think? How do you engage information sprawl outside SharePoint?

• SharePoint for All

Develop your #SharePoint Supportability #Governance plan. Read @CMcNulty2000 tech brief

Earlier we held our Five Pillars of SharePoint Governance – Supportability webcast featuring Jason Himmelstein of Sentri and Chris McNulty (get the recording here).

Now you can take a more in-depth view as to how Quest Software can help you implement the supportability portion of your governance plan.

The Five Pillars of SharePoint Governance – Supportability (a tech brief)

Read the Tech Brief >>

Though SharePoint can be easily customized to make it almost anything you need, that flexibility can also create a supportability nightmare for administrators. Random custom coding and content that can’t be migrated are only half the problem. The other half is supporting end-user requests in a reasonable time.

In this tech brief, you’ll get helpful insight into the key areas of supportability that every organization should consider when planning their governance program.

You’ll also learn how Quest solutions for SharePoint can address these key supportability concerns, making it easier for you to support your environment and your users, as well as ensure customizations are supportable and upgradable in your environment.

Read the Tech Brief >>