Virus on Dell Inspiron Mini - any idea how I can get rid of this?

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

Virus on Dell Inspiron Mini - any idea how I can get rid of this?

This question is not answered

Hi, I (stupidly) clicked on an e-mail and have a virus on my Dell notebook. The system runs on Windows 7.  I do not have an anti-virus system as it would not run on the Notebook and made the system freeze (long story, I was told by the shop I boght it from that the running system was not powerful enough to run an anti-virus ??).

The virus is bringing up a full screen, saying that my account has been frozen and is asking for money to release the computer.   I cannot log onto the internet and the computer is 'frozen' on this virus screen - I can't access any of the programmes on the computer.  Once the screen is frozen the only way to unlock is to Ctrl/Alt/Delete and shut the computer down.  Sometimes this doesn't work and I have to take the battery off.

When I boot up the notebook I have a window of around 6 seconds before the virus window comes onto the screen - then everything locks.  During this time, I can quickly click on the control panel and have tried to click on system restore - the virus screen comes up too quickly though and I can't get to do a full restore.

The notebook doesn't have a disc drive so I can't install an anti-virus disc.  I also can't access an anti-virus system on the internet because I can't connect to the internet (or anything else). 

Is there anything at all I can do or is it a case of having to buy a new laptop (and find someone who can correctly instal virus softwear - lesson now learnt!).

Thank you

All Replies
  • See if you can start-up your system in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING (I believe it's by tapping the F8 key while the first screen appears).

This should get you to your desktop (the icons and desktop may appear enlarged in SAFE mode).  

Open your browser, and download the FREE version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install the program (do NOT activate the trial of realtime protection).

Go to the UPDATE tab, and CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Go to the SCANNER tab, and perform a QUICK SCAN.

Allow the program to Remove/Quarantine anything it finds.

Reboot your system.   Hopefully, you should be able to get to your desktop normally.

Report back, letting us know how it went.

Notes:   1) If you successfully get this far, there's still more to be done.   We will refer you to another site for a complete followup [which we can't do here].   Please do not try anything else on your own.

2) If Bugbatter enters this thread, I defer fully to her.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

• hi ky, I've printed off your advice above and I'll give it a try tonight - thank you and fingers crossed!  

• Nortone,

Haven't heard back from you --- what's happening there?

Regardless of whether or not you were able to accomplish anything on your system with MalwareBytes, there's more work [either an alternative approach if MBAM didn't work, or follow-up procedures if it did] that needs to be done.   We will supply such information upon your reply.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]