.ink Problem

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

.ink Problem

This question is not answered

I have a desktop Windows XP, Dimension 5150. I think the Windows version is Service Pack 3 not sure. All of my programs except Outlook has been changed with a .INK extension. I can not do anything. I was told to completely start over but do not know how. HELP ME

All Replies
  • MitchellGentry,

Did you do something (install new software, change configurations, etc.) that might have changed those file extensions? When you say you "cannot do anything", will the computer start at all? Or do you mean that you cannot open any programs?

Who told you to "completely start over" and what have you tried to do to fix the problem so far? Please reply to this post by clicking the "Reply" button. Thanks.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.

• I was on the Internet trying to install yahoo messenger and I downloaded something that changed my search engine to my search and then I tried to delete it and everything turned to ink and it won't let me open anything no programs cannot restore can go to dos command line etc

• Ah, that gives me a clearer picture of what is happening. A few more questions so that we can address this:

1. If you cannot open programs, you are not using that computer to post here -- correct?

2. Do you have access to removable media such as a CD or USB flash drive so that you can use on your "good" computer to download cleaning tools that can be transferred to the "problem" computer?

3. Options: Which do you want to do?

* We can send you to a malware removal site that uses trained volunteers to help you for free by giving step-by-step instructions. Many times their procedures using special tools can fix the problem. If it is severe, and cannot be fixed, you may end up having to do the following anyway.

* You can reinstall the operating system and start over. You will need your Windows XP disks and use steps from this page:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/1438.1-3-a-clean-install-of-windows-xp-on-dell-systems.aspx 

* If you are not comfortable doing any of that, you can take the computer to a shop that will for a fee do all that for you.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.