WOT updates

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

WOT updates

• There have been several updates to WOT recently, seemingly without announcement.  

Here is the information on the latest versions of WOT [as of 2012-10-03], including all of its changelogs for 2012:

WOT for Firefox Version 2012-09-26

- Add the toolbar button after the stop button
    - Use DOM Mutation Observers instead of Mutation events
    - Use value instead of nodeValue for attributes
    - Fixed several typos
    - Added Turkish localization   

Other Firefox versions earlier this year:

Version 2012-09-10                     

- New design of the warning screen
    - Added Ukrainian translation
    - Fixed: WOT reputation icon in the warning message doesn't reflect site's reputation

Version 2012-08-27

- Fixes locales for blocking pages.
    - Fixes compatibility issues with EFF's HTTPS Everywhere.

Version 2012-05-15

- Hides good rating symbols from Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo Mail
    - Doesn't change the default search provider to WOT Safe Search

Version 2012-03-02

- Fix: doesn't update the user interface before settings are loaded

Version 2012-02-29

- Doesn't recreate the toolbar button if it's removed or moved to the add-on bar
    - Removes unnecessary debug messages
    - Fixes an issue where the wrong toolbar icon style is visible on the welcome page after installation

Version 2012-02-27

- Fixes timeout issues with Firefox 12+
    - Fixes rating pop-up positioning in Google Mail
    - Clears cache after rating is changed on the WOT website
    - Installs WOT Safe Search as the default search provider for new users   <==== for more information, see http://techdows.com/2010/08/how-to-add-wot-safe-search-engine-to-firefox-google-chrome-and-other-browsers.html

===============================================================================

WOT for Opera version 1.8 (2012-03-19)

• Fixed: website authentication didn't work immediately.
      • Fixed: allow add-on to communicate with mywot.com over TLS
      • Added Opera 12 compatibility
      • Upgraded jQuery to 1.7.1
      • Added the "settings" menu item
      • Prevented text selection in popover, warning screen, and popup
      • Added a context when opening mywot.com pages from an add-on
      • Stopped the warning screen from showing up immediately after rating site poorly
      • Added better Russian translations

Other Opera versions earlier this year:

version 1.7 (2012-02-03)

• Fixed: Opera 11.61 breaks ratings in frames
    • Fixed: Popup positioning bug in gmail
    • Fixed: Wrong params number in matchrule()
    • Added Swedish short description of add-on
    • Updated descriptions in config.xml from Opera Add-on Store

================================================================================

WOT for Safari version 1.11 (2012-07-18)

• New Warning Screen
      • Turkish translations

Other Safari versions earlier this year:

version 1.10 (2012-04-24)

Don't show green donuts for webmails (support use_search_level) from search rules.

• #20, Don't show warning screen immediately after rating site to red
    • #23, Indicate unrated sites on an appearing icon
    • # 21, Default safari icon in extensions list (preferences)

Version 1.9 (2012-02-22)

• Improvement: Use native Popover to show rating window
    • small improvement: prevent text selection in popup, rating window and warning screen #12
    • Updated russian locale
    • All addon's links now have src=addon-* get-parameter to distinguish origin
    • Bug fixed: Bug with geticon when new testimony is set #7

Version 1.8 - Fixed bug with mispositioning WOT popup in Gmail

Version 1.7 - fixed the bug "Donuts are shown even if page contains inclusions which are matched to search rules"

=================================================================================

WOT for Chrome version 1.3.1 (2012-08-01)

• #45, Czech strings were updated
      • All descriptions were cut to fit limit
      • New description for EN

Other Chrome versions earlier this year:

version 1.3.0 (2012-07-16)

• #32, new Warning Screen
      • #39, Make opaque background on adult sites
      • #40, Warn on adult sites by default for MRU users
      • #42, Don't show Privacy component for MRU by default
      • #37, Fallback from CIS languages to Russian (added Ukrainian locale (rus lang))

version 1.2.14 (2012-05-09)

• #3, Update manifest.json for Chrome 18 (manifest version 2)
      • #13, Context menu for opening scorecard
      • #26 Expire "warned" flag when site was rated to red by user

version 1.2.13  

• Hide green rating symbols from webmails

version 1.2.12   

• #5, Search results missing a rating symbol for unrated sites sometimes
    • #7, Make sure we don't assume blindly existance of r member
    • #10, Prevent text selection in popover, warning screen and popup
    • #12, Change russian text to better sounds
    • #11, Distinguish a context when opening mywot.com pages from an addon
    • #16, Don't show warning screen immediately after rating site
    • fixed chrome's bug with getViews({})

version 1.2.11 (2012-02-03)

• Fixed: Popup positioning bug in gmail
    • Fixed: Wrong params number in matchrule()

=================================================================================

WOT for IE  version 2012-08-02

• Fixes issues activating the add-on on the welcome page for various IE versions
      • Fixes code page issues on warning and blocking screens for languages that use multibyte characters
      • Fixes pop-up positioning in search results when zooming
      • Uses a smaller 19x19px toolbar button to better fit the IE toolbar
      • Enables ASLR and DEP in the add-on binary

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v8 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [set to BLOCK]; KeyScrambler for IE), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

• bumping, to update above post to be accurate as of 2012-06-03

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v8 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [set to BLOCK]; KeyScrambler for IE), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

• bumping, to update above post to be accurate as of 2012-8-2

WOT for IE and CHROME were just updated... and SAFARI a few weeks ago.

• bumping

• I don't seem to be able to check on what version i have on WOT. I know I have it on Firefox and IE. How do i check on version and update WOT. I can right click on the Icon and update shows up in the menu, but nothing seem to happen. Thanks

Windows 8.1 OS (64 bits), Built in Windows Defender A.V and Windows firewall, McShield,  MBAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Secunia PSI, Win Patrol Plus, Internet Explorer and Firefox, WOT on Browsers.

• In FF:   click on TOOLS , then ADD-ONS, then EXTENSIONS.   WOT should be included there.   Current Version is 20120515 ; i.e., 2012-05-15

In IE:  click on TOOLS, then MANAGE ADD-ONS, then TOOLBARS & EXTENSIONS.    Scroll down the list to locate, and click-on (highlight) WOT.   You should see the version # both on that highlighted line, as well as in the middle of the screen.   The current version is listed as 12.8.2.0 

EDIT:   If you LEFT-click on the WOT icon, and look toward the bottom, it will [sometimes] let you know when a newer version is available.   If it finds one, you can click on that to update.

• Evermore, To update WOT left click on the WOT icon. At the bottom in fine print is a place to click to update. 

Forum Memeber Since 2001

• bumping, to update above post to be accurate as of 2012-09-20

• Well, not for me. WOT does not want to update when right clicking the icon and choosing update Angry

I downloaded the WOT installer from its page and it is v. 12.8.2.0 Stick out tongue

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF28

Avast!Free 9. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• bump:   added WOT for Firefox Version 2012-09-26

• This topic is locked because it has become outdated.
     If you have a similar question or comment, please feel free to start a new thread at the top of the forum.  Thank you.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.