VIRUS? When I type, the cursor jumps around

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

VIRUS? When I type, the cursor jumps around

• I cannot type on my laptop keyboard without the cursor jumping all over the screen.My OS is Windows 2000. I have run Norton AntiVirus, but I get no results. Nevertheless, it seems a bug has infected my computer. The keyboard has become almost useless Any suggestions as to what bug this is, and how to get rid of it?
    e cursor will jump backwards like this. If I continue to type, it works OK unliI it
    Sometimes as I type, th  does it ad againgain an 

There seems no pattern - it is just random. Jump back, jump a few lines,  turns off INSERT function, it's totally nuts. It acts like a bug.

Can anyone help me determine the problem, or identify the Virus/fix if this is a bug?
  • Let's dig a bit deeper and see what is going on?

Please post a log on the HJT Forum where someone can review it and help you.

Click HERE to download a self-extractable version of HijackThis.
      Double click on hijackthis.exe to extract hijackthis to folder c:\hijackthis.
    • It will extract it to that folder and open the folder for you.
    • It will also create a shortcut on your desktop to HijackThis.

• It will scan and the log should open in notepad.Click on "Edit > Select
    • All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the
    • log.
    Do not have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

thanks,
    ZB1

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
      Yes  

• Get a new mouse. That was my problem. See if it happens smae possibility with keyboard.

Is the mouse a ball mouse?
  • ...ya' know gmanson, you just might be right. :)

zb1

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
      Yes  

• My wife has the same problem with cursor jump and she is not using a mouse.  The just types on her D600 and all of a sudden finds herself typing 3 paragraphs up. --Jeff
  • This might be a virus in that situation. Get hijackthis and post a log in the hijackthis forum.