Internet access

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

Internet access

This question is not answered

I was trying to download an anti-virus program & i get the message "no internet connection detected" but I am able to connect to the internet thru Internet Explorer. I went to McAfee and they couldn't get me around this error...even starting in safe mode and trying to do it themselves by using the PC Share (???) program where they log onto my machine. Malwarebytes also will not download. Is this a virus or is there some firewall setting or some IE setting which won't allow me to get to these sites? Also...trtied setting up Outlook express account & after entering all settings...the process gets stuck trying to connect to incoming (or outgoing) server. Sounds like some issue at the "Dell" level. I don't know tho. Any ideas?

All Replies
  • Since you can connect to the internet with IE, but cannot download security programs (Anti-virus, Malwarebytes), it's likely that you have some malware on your system that's blocking access to programs that may attempt to remove it.

Unfortunately, one-on-one malware analysis/removal is no longer done at the Dell Forums.  

Please follow the directions at http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=12262.0 to register and [if possible] post the requested logs at spywarehammer.com ; there are expert helpers there who can "walk you through" procedures to analyze your system, and clean-up the infection (if one is still present).   All help provided there is FREE.   If you decide to go for help there, please wait for a response, and do NOT attempt to run any other scans/removers on your own --- do exactly what they instruct you to do, no more, no less.

Good luck!

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v8 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [set to BLOCK]; KeyScrambler for IE), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

• MCGeek
    I went to McAfee and they couldn't get me around this error...even starting in safe mode and trying to do it themselves by using the PC Share (???) program where they log onto my machine.

If you are a McAfee customer, I am confused as to why you were trying to download an anti-virus program. Nevertheless, please follow ky331's instructions to post at a dedicated malware removal forum. If you use the same username as you have here, I can let them know that you are from Dell Community.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.

• Thanks for the response. I was downloading the new file as the old ones' license had expired.

• MCGeek
    I was downloading the new file as the old ones' license had expired.

Ah, now I understand. When you post at the other forum, make sure you tell them that. Also let them know what the McAfee tech did, as well as how long it had been since the license expired. They may check to see if you could have acquired an infection with an expired AV and remove McAfee so you can do a clean install. Did McAfee by any chance refund your money because you were unable to update? If so, you may want to be thinking about using another AV once you get this issue resolved.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.