Updates 4/13/12 - Flash

Virus & Spyware

Virus & Spyware
Perspectives on PC security, including antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall solutions.

Updates 4/13/12 - Flash

• Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.233 

Note:   Now that Flash has implemented automatic/"background" updates, presumably some of you will have automatically received this update by the time you see this post.   If anyone has, please reply here to let us know.   [Or perhaps someone set to auto-update will intentionally wait a while longer, to see how soon this update is "pushed out"???]  I have NOT turned-on the auto-updates, and so am relying on manual updates via the following

Direct download Links for WINDOWS

32-bit UNinstaller:  http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_32bit.exe

64-bit UNinstaller:  http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_64bit.exe

=====================================================

32-bit ActiveX for Internet Explorer:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe 

64-bit ActiveX for Internet Explorer:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe

32-bit plug-in version for Firefox, Opera, Safari:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.exe

64-bit plug-in version for Firefox, Opera, Safari:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe

=============

Reminders about Flash Player 11.2.x: 

1) The new Flash players now explicitly include their "bit type" & version number in the filename; the 32-bit Flash for IE is now named Flash32_11_2_202_233.ocx (rather than Flash11H.ocx ), and the 32-bit Flash for other browsers is named NPSWF32_11_2_202_233.dll

2) The new Flash players now include the ability to "automatically" update themselves.

Flash Player background updates (Windows) — New versions of the runtimes can now be delivered more effectively to the end user with this enhanced updating mechanism.

This is being implemented via a startup service FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe and a scheduled task Adobe Flash Player Updater

Upon installation, you can choose whether to 1) accept automatic updates, or 2) receive notification when updates are available, or 3) not to check for updates at all.   You can later modify your decision via  Control Panel  / Flash Player / Advanced (tab).

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/background-updater-windows.html

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

• I chose to do my update manually. Running the uninstall tool first. Also I deactivated the automatic update and schedule task through Control Panel and services. That way if an update pop up alerts me of a new Flash Player version, I would know it is fake and believe me I have had a few watching videos in Youtube.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF29

Avast!Free 9.0.2018. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• After seeing your post I checked mine & discovered that mine has done the auto update sometime today - [on the 14/4/12] without my knowledge.

I hope same debacle does not happen here as what happened with Apple OS X..., in the future!! or perhaps it is most safe because it would only allow un update from the correct company?? Am I correct?

Regards

• Hi snowshine,

snowshine
    I hope same debacle does not happen here as what happened with Apple OS X..., in the future!! or perhaps it is most safe because it would only allow un update from the correct company?? Am I correct?

I'm not sure what your question is. You probably did not change the Flash option the last time you updated manually. Flash's default is auto update. Are you saying that you do not want auto updating for Flash, or that you are comfortable with it so that you are sure you are getting updates?

I do as some of the others here do and prefer to update manually so I have some control over what I'm getting and when.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
    Social Media and Community Professional
    SpywareHammer

I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.

• Snow,

If you had set your Flash to auto-update, then yes, it would do so without announcing it --- checking "auto update" is giving Flash permission to update itself whenever an update is available, without having to check with you first.   If you don't want that, you should either set it to notify you (only --- but do not actually update until you tell it to do so), or turn-off the auto updater.

If you're referring to (fearing) fraudulent programs pretending to be flash and getting installed by mistake, that should not happen here with the real/legitimate flash updater.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v2014 Free, MBAM Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, EMET+MBAE, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), CryptoPrevent, Secunia PSI.

• ky331
    If you're referring to (fearing) fraudulent programs pretending to be flash and getting installed by mistake, that should not happen here with the real/legitimate flash updater.

..or are you referring to seeing a message telling you to update Flash on a page with video? In that case running a system that has vulnerabilities, malware might be installed IF you click on the popup of the infected page. Of course, knowing that your Flash and Java have been kept updated automatically or manually, you would not do that. Smile

SpywareHammer

• The below mentioned is what I really meant

ky331

I would therefore leave it as it is so long as it is save and no bogus application would get installed masquerading as genuine one.

However I never thought along the lines of Bugbatter 

Bugbatter
    are you referring to seeing a message telling you to update Flash on a page with video? In that case malware might be installed IF you click on the popup of the infected page. Of course, knowing that your Flash has been kept updated automatically or manually, you would not do that.

regards

• Just to add:

Those who want to check "what's new" in the latest version of Flash to determine if a manual update is needed, can find the release notes here:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/release-notes-flash-player-11_20120305.html

With this particular release there are no new features added,  nor security bugs fixed, just a printer issue I do not have. Thus I will not bother to update.

Some FAQs about the autoupdater:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/spohl/2012/03/30/hello-adobe-flash-player-background-updater-windows/

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

WOT Web of Trust    Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

(Mostly) Free Security Software- A Primer

• snowshine
    However I never thought along the lines of Bugbatter 

I tend to be a divergent thinker. Big Smile Big Smile

I was thinking about how some scammers post messages on Facebook that link to an article that has a video on it, or asks the user to click through to one. When people try to play the video, they are asked to update Flash, but what they really get is malware installed.

SpywareHammer

• Joe,

good point on the release notes showing most people may not need this particular update.   Either the release notes were not yet available when I made my post... or I didn't realize where to find themEmbarrassed.

• ky331

Either the release notes were not yet available when I made my post... or I didn't realize where to find them.

They were not available when you first posted. I only found them today.

In many ways, most users will find it is more convenient to rely on the autoupdater. Manually updating Flash does take some time, and is a bit of a pain when using multiple PCs. Particularly for non-security programs from e.g. Adobe that seem to be updating with increasing frequency these days.

Nonetheless, like many here, I prefer to control what is installed on my PC. And I am reluctant to install anything without reading the changelog or release notes first. Saves me unnecessary updates, and time.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

WOT Web of Trust    Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

(Mostly) Free Security Software- A Primer